on 7 June 2010
All my previous tripods came with pan and tilt heads. Most of the Giottos tripods come just as a set of legs so you can choose exactly which type of head suits your purpose. I was guided by reviews which said that the ball and socket heads are faster to work with and they are right.

One screw allows you to adjust the head which ever way you want. There is even a friction control which allows you to slow down the movement and a further screw which allows you to pan once the head is set up.

Thoughtfully there are spirit levels to cover levelling in all three planes. This is the downside though, it does take some fiddling to get the head level in all three planes at the same time. This is the only area where a pan and tilt head scores.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2009
I can think of nothing bad to say about this head.

It manages to be quick and easy to use, whilst also having the safety and precision added to it through the friction control, and not only that but unlike many ball heads, it allows you to restrict movement in only one plane (horizontal) for shooting panoramas or panning.

Also very stable, excellent vibration damping, very impressive build quality, and amazing value when compared with the likes of Manfrotto or Gitzo.

Bubble levels in 3 planes are handy, and can be used usefully, but I personally find those impossible to apply precisely on anything but a geared head.
on 8 January 2010
This is the first time I've had such a good tripod with such a well-made and convenient-to-use-head. The plate onto which the camera is secured can be left on the camera very unobtrusively and then clamped into the tripod head quickly and easily. Whether taking landscape or portrait positions (or something in between!) the camera is easily adjusted and easily secured to give a firm, steady shot just where you want it! The Giotto tripod and head have made such a difference in my photos...just that bit of extra sharpness! If I had known, I would have had one of these long ago!
on 2 September 2009
Paired this up with a Giottos GTMT 8246B carbon-fibre tripod for use on extended day walks. An excellent combination. The head itself is very well manufactured and I particularly like the variable friction control. The quick release meachanism can be a little fiddly I find though you do get used to it.
on 2 October 2010
I am purchased this head to use in place of the "kit" ball head that came with my Vetruvian tripod. Maybe it's me, but I do find the QR plates on all tripods to be 'fiddly', just a case of learning exactly where everything fits - then the camera snaps into the QR plate very easily and is very secure.

It is holding my Canon 7D with battery pack and a 70-200 L lens quite happily. I particularly like the fact that the three knobs are small and, unlike the first tripod I owned, these are so much easier to use that the long tilt/pan handles, which somehow always seemed to poke me painfully when I wasn't concentrating.

So, so far, yes a great piece of kit which I would recommend.
on 23 November 2010
The quality of this head is amazing. I have been amazed at all the Giottos items I have purchased, the quality is great and the pricing reasonable. My first head was a fixed head mainly for used landscapes. (Not so many moving parts to get camera shake). This head will be used for wildlife and because of the quick release I shouldn't miss something, off tripod.
Giottos items easily stand up to the quality of the Manfrotto (that I have used, and still own) range and are generally that bit cheaper.
Amazon is probably the cheapest you will find them.
Highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 November 2010
Good value, well made, relatively light ball head for SLR tripod. Not too heavy so is more transportable than some. It's a good design incorporating a three way spirit level indicator, adjustable friction (very useful), the ball head adjuster and a panning mechanism (but note it's really for SLRs rather than camcorders). I find them easier to operate than the levered heads and there are less bits sticking out when you are trying carry it mounted on a tripod all day. Comes with allen key and quick release access with the usual plate that you attach to the base of your camera. There's a safety release mechanism to prevent accidental release and to re-mount, you just plonk it down. The release catch is plastic so I guess it could break, but appears sturdy enough. Camera feels safe when mounted and remains steady when you tighten up the unit. Good value and recommended.
on 1 October 2010
Having recently dipped my toe in the waters of joy that is DSLR photography this head is simply fantastic. It is far more manageable that the multi handle tilt and swivel affairs.

Highly recommended :)
on 5 October 2010
Lightweight, sturdy and well balanced. I've enjoyed using this ball head and will eventually replace my old, heavy Benbo Mk 1 tripod with a lighter Giottos tripod as a result of using this head.
on 5 October 2010