4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value on improved model
Published on 16 Dec 2011 by Road Rocket

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - not great. Spend a little more if you want quality.
With 3 magnification options it would be nice if they all worked, but only 2 do - 40x is somehow misaligned so light can't shine up through the platform. I can probably fix it, and wasn't expecting perfection, but it would be nice if it worked correctly out of the box - I do expect that and in this case it misses the mark.

Was going to spend 120 or so on a...
Published 18 months ago by flatbob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value on improved model, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
I agree with all the positive reviews on here so will not reiterate the features. I purchased the latest model (from 1/11/2011) as advertised and it is improved by the addition of LED lights both top and bottom, the top light being especially useful for viewing large objects placed on top of the table. There is also a facility for dimming the bottom light which shines up through a slide which is useful if you don't want the full light effect. I would have given five stars if it had come in the plastic case that the previous model came with. This model is simply packed between polystyrene so no case is supplied. However, there is an excellent metal case that can be purchased for this microscope model and is well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
Bought as a gift for my daughter. Tried it out beforehand - I was very impressed with the quality of the scope, the specimen slides and the clear image at all magnifications. Unfortunately the incident light ( the light from above, for larger objects ) did not work. I called up the support number provided, and they could not have been more helpful. They responded immediately, were very helpful and freindly on the phone and emailed me with delivery information. Three days later they have replaced the microscope, picking up the old one from my home. Can't wait to use theis scope with my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter scope, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
This is the first microscope I have ever bought & it's been years since I even looked through one at school, but I was seized by a mad desire to get one so I picked this one based purely on reviews & not wanting to spend many hundreds of pounds.

I purchased this, together with the case & the mini grab camera all at the same time so I have reviewed all 3.

Arrives in a plain brown cardboard box packed in a polystyrene cutout.
You could store it in there if you really didn't want to buy the case or leave it out with the dust cover over it.

Inside you get the microscope itself with it's 2 eyepieces, 3 AA batteries (needed to turn on the lights) and an A5 leaflet 8 pages long

Plus a small white cardboard box which contains:
1 small plastic slide box containing 4 pre prepared slides clearly labelled ( Cheek cells, Pollen, Paramecium & Salt Crystals)
I also got a slide in that box with 2 circular depressions in it which had nothing in them & no covers over the depressions.
An identical plastic slide box containing 5 blank slides with the word charged written on them.
1 Pair of forceps
1 plastic pipette
1 mounted needle
1 swab
1 small plastic test tube
1 pack of coverslips
1 specimen box (small round lidded plastic box you could put a little bug in or similar)
1 pack of 50 sheets of lens cleaning paper
2 very small bottles of food colouring (blue & red)
A dust cover for the microscope

It took me all of 2 minutes to get the batteries in the bottom, load a slide in & have a look

Possibly due to me being a total newbie to microscopes I couldn't see anything at 40x magnification in my first 5 minutes of playing around, but I was pleased with the results at 4x & 10x.
You need to be careful with the 40x as you can adjust the stage until it is actually touching the slide (think you could break the slide that way)

There are no real instructions with this, but there isn't really much to instruct you on, you can just fiddle about until you see something.

I got the mini grab camera at the same time. (takes stills, timelapse footage & video)
It's easier to share images with my son who's too small to use a microscope by himself yet & I find it easier to see the image on my laptop as I wear glasses.
I would thoroughly recommend you consider buying it to use with your microscope.
I have uploaded a quick snapshot of part of the Paramecium slide that came with the microscope to the customer images section here.
Image is unedited so no filters etc.. have been applied.
It was taken straight after the software had been installed so it's literally an 'out of the box' photo.

For me, I think I may find my interest in taking photos through the microscope will far exceed looking at things under there for their own sake and I'm very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
I brought this to use on my koi carp to check for illnesses etc. Its fantastic, easy to use and shows a great magnification! Has an LED light which means you don't have to rely on natural day light. It's light so can easily be transported anywhere. Was delivered the next day which was even better, packaged nicely too. Really impressed and would recommend to anyone who wants/needs a microscope. Would definitely encourage pond owners to buy this too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apex Learner Microscope, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
This is the second instrument I have bought from Apex and have again been impressed by the quality. Although only slightly more costly than the toy microscopes this is the real thing with quality lenses. My only beef is that the LED light is VERY bright necessitating a jury rigged filter to avoid dazzle. My teenage daughter is delighted with her present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed!, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
I have been through GCSEs, A Levels, BTECs & a Degree. I recently decided i wanted to go back to school and do Biology as I am thinking of changing career path. When i received my course it said i needed a microscope - or access to one. I thought i'd buy one. I shopped around a little (though not knowing much about microscopes!) and this was one of the cheapest (barring argos's 19.99...cheaply made!)

I took this to the local school and they said it was good quality especially for what i needed it for. Only downside is it doesn't have a light, so therefore you have to make sure you have natural lighting etc and the glass thing at bottom collects the light. the last review said 'in spanish'. My manual is in English. The packaging stuff comes in ie. bottles etc have Spanish then right under translation to English!

I would recommend if you want something cheap but good quality. It does what i need it to do!

Also, Apex were fantastic 5* for their delivery etc and contact with cust. you can put your faith in them 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Deffo Recomend This, 1 Jan 2012
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
This was bought for my 8 Year old son for xmas, it's fantastic, well made and easy to use. Comes with a few accessories which are enought to get any budding scientist started. My son thinks its great and in the last week has enjoyed looking at the provided slides and has had a go at making his own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
It is an amazing microscope and magnifies magnificently, I am only eleven (and a geek) and this is the best microscope I have ever had, I used it to find out why my dog was itching so much, so it really helps to have one, especially if it is as good quality as this one, great gift and I would highly reccomend it to those Science lovers out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality, 23 July 2010
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
The microscope has a very good build quality - it is a solid, serious piece of equipment and clearly not a flimsy toy. At the highest magnifications, it is sometimes a bit difficult to focus perfectly, as such a small movement of the focus wheel makes a big difference. In a way, it seems that focusing is optimised for smaller magnifications. But once you get the focus right, the picture is very clear. If I'd be purchasing the microscope now, I'd perhaps consider the more advanced model with in-built light source, but I'm very happy with this and can recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The New Apex Learner Microscope (Electronics)
It arrived at last, very poor delivery date. The microscope looks very good and is easy to use . I put an ant onto a slide and it looked fantastic. We got it as a present for our grandson and I am sure he will be able to enter a new world of discovery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›