Colour: Black|Change

on 16 July 2011
I did not get this lock from amazon,but the local bike shop on sale.I have this to supplement a MUCH larger bike chain I have.I am using this to either...
A-Secure the front wheel to the frame and he big lock to secure the rear wheel and frame to whatever I am locking it too,or...
B-As a secondary lock when I am simply "fitness riding" and only plan to stop for a moment to use the restroom or grab a gatorade.
If you are using this lock in a high crime area,I would recomend a bigger lock and using this as the second lock,but if you live in a regular area,this will be more than enough.
Very well made,very secure and very nice looking.For the price,you cannot go wrong.
review image review image
on 9 April 2011
I am using this in conjunction with a u-lock and, as a secondary lock, I think it's great. I might not trust it as my only lock, but I didn't want to buy an enormous chain as my second lock and this is way better than a cable. The lock is better quality than my more expensive u-lock -- it has a pick-proof key slot and the lock cover is bolted to the chain itself, so it won't hurt your bike. It just seems very nicely made, and I'm sure that the heftier locks by Abus also share this quality. It also comes in pretty and vibrant colours, which might let a potential bike thief see sooner that your bike is locked (or just add some cheer to your lock-up time).
on 23 May 2011
I can imagine a much more expensive lock feeling slightly more secure, but for the price this really is great. It looks and feels quality and I can't imagine anyone getting through it with out the aid of some pretty serious bolt cutters. Great lock.
on 1 September 2015
After about 10 months of use the key broke inside,
I tried contacting the ABUS company via e-mail, they pretty much did not care, and refused to offer a replacement.

A real shame, such a good chain lock let down by weak keys and shameful customer support.
on 15 May 2015
Perfect compromise between low weight and portability with enough security and length for easily locking up up to 2 bikes for short stops outside a shop etc.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 October 2014
ABUS supply a large range of security locks for a wide variety of applications in the home, commercial business and in the case of this Catena chain, pedal bikes.

The Abus website describes this lock as `Lock-Chain Combination 685/75 black Shadow' and states that it is `good protection at low theft risk and recommended for securing entry level bikes'.

No Sold Secure rating is given for this lock, however the slightly heavier 10mm chain by ABUS is listed in the 2014 SOLD SECURE catalogue and is rated as GOLD for bicycle security, so presumably this Catena 6mm product should fall into the SILVER category. GOLD is highest, SILVER second and BRONZE third in terms of security level. SILVER rated products are defined as suitable for use where a compromise between security and cost is required for bicycle protection.

This lock weighs 770g, with a total chain length of 75mm. The chain itself is made from 6mm square hardened steel links and is enclosed in a fabric sleeve which has two advantages - it protects the bikes paintwork against scratches and it disguises the chain thickness, making it appear sturdier than it actually is.

The lock works well, is smooth and positive and the 2 keys provided are double sided (they can be inserted into the lock either way round) which speeds up the locking/unlocking time.

I use this regularly as an everyday lock for low-risk, short stay purposes such as locking the bike during daytime in a public area for very short periods outside my local shops. For longer periods a D shackle rated GOLD should be used.

An excellent product when applied to its intended use.
on 21 March 2012
I just bought this and wish I'd done a little more research first. A review which says you use this lock and you still have your bike, means you may just have been lucky. So far.

The manufacturer's site is rather measured:

Application:
Good protection at low theft risk
Recommended for securing low-price bicycles and children bikes.

Well, I just paid £350 for my grown-up Trek. And as I mentioned elsewhere.... you can see on U Tube how to open this with a couple of hair grips in 40 seconds.

So no, I don't recommend this lock if you want to keep your bike.
on 15 March 2013
I bought this product to add extra security to my bike, and it does the job. The look of the chain looks strong enough to resist a decent pare of bolt cutters. But I wouldn’t use the chain as a primary lock; I would pay a bit extra for a stronger one.
on 15 October 2012
When I got my bike stolen last year, I became more concerned about bike security. I got a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 D-Lock to replace the cheap cable lock I used to lock my bike with. I can use the D-Lock to secure my rear wheel and frame to a fixed object. But that leaves my front wheel unsecured. My wheels are quick release; it takes about 5 seconds to remove them. So I decided to get a light-weight chain lock for the front wheel to deter theft. There's a lot of petty bike theft and vandalism around Cambridge and I can imagine nothing more annoying than coming back to my bike after a few hours to find the front wheel gone!

The Abus Catena lock is compact, light-weight, easy to use, and versatile. I store it in my rucksack and I've been using it for about a year now. I'm no bike thief, but this secondary lock looks more secure than the cable lock I used to use as my primary lock! It is a perfect complement to a good D-Lock, and excellent value for money.
on 19 October 2015
I got 2 bikes stolen with the exact same chain.. :( so I would say its just ok..

See one answered question