5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Skiing utility
Four of us went skiing last week in Andorra and took these little beauties along. They saved us a fortune in mobile phone bills. Really excellent, although I haven't much experience with walkies to give a comparative review.

Published on 16 Mar 2009 by E. Boyle

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published on 12 July 2010 by Hilary

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Skiing utility, 16 Mar 2009
E. Boyle - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)

Here are some plus points - really small and ruggadised (rubber on the outside), handsfree headset socket, headset included, chargers included which are really small for travelling, EU power adapter included, voice activation, ring feature (so useful when skiing and unit is inside a big coat pocket), great range.

To be honest, I'm not sure the range is 10 km as advertised but we were able to use them to meet up when some of us were at the bottom of the mountain and others at the top so it's plenty for skiing. I'd thoroughly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie, 12 Jun 2009
Christopher B. Thomas (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
They have a great range (10km/6 miles in open country) and are loud and clear. With the sub-channel feature switched on, although being aware of the RF carrier of someone else transmitting, you can't hear them talking because their transmitter isn't presenting your walkie-talkie with the correct sub-channel code (much better than the old 'squelch'). They fit nicely in the hand and look stylish. The only gripe I had was that the units only came with a page of illustrations to indicate the various functions, so I had to visit their website to get the PDF version and print it off. That said, I still give the units five stars. *****

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
I bought 12 of these units and with very little use we have experienced: PTT button not working, won't charge, transmits but won't receive. After only six months there has been a 50% total failure rate. I contacted LiGo directly but apart from a read receipt, totally nil response. Doro Radio 2-Way Twinpack with Charger 8 Channel 38 Subcodes 1Hr Talk Time Range 10km Ref WT87Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie This product not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 way radios, 7 April 2010
Mr. Mj Challinor (UK, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
A very good product that has proven to be invaluable within the factory both for ease of communication but also for safety controls.

5.0 out of 5 stars communication, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
good coverage area great for work as we are in a home with several rooms off and corridors even covers the grounds

3.0 out of 5 stars Great - then a bit hit and miss on charging., 25 Mar 2010
J. Eltherington "Juebugs" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
We bought a couple of set of these for work. I work in a school and we wanted to be able to speak to eachother in diffrent classrooms, first aid rooms etc.
At first they were brilliant! Well within the range and quite clear when speaking. But after about 4-5 months a couple of them failed to charge on the docking station. We now only have 2 out of the 4 that are reliable and chargeable. But we have bought some more, only because we need them to be compatible with the ones we've already got!
Fingers crossed they'll keep on charging....

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality little radio set, 14 Sep 2011
El Geraldo (South of Watford Gap) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
I recently moved back from the USA to the UK and had to dump all of my FRS radios before I crossed the Atlantic. I had been looking in various stores for a nice small multi-PMR set for not too much money and these seemed to fit the bill.

I have to admit that I haven't actually used the radios outside yet, so I will update my review when I've fully tested them. The main thing I need to test is whether the radios can be used inside a moving car without the AF side (the microphone input) totally saturating (becoming distorted).

My initial observations, expressed as pros/cons:

PROS
* Small radio - fits in the palm of my hand. The misses commented that it would fit into her handbag easily amongst all the other junk.
* Appears to be of relatively high build quality. Nice, rubberized plastic case. Battery cover fits well. No huge, flappy earpiece socket cover to pop out the side and annoy you. It's small, on top and quite stiff.
* Uses cheap, individual AAA cells rather than an expensive, custom battery pack
* Stubby, rigid antenna
* Volume buttons instead of the ridonculous volume knob that some radios have. I have owned those before and had to tape the knob down so that it didn't constantly get rotated back to the OFF position by my clothing.
* Dual channel monitor (DCM) feature - constantly switches between the current channel and another chosen channel.

CONS
* Belt clip is a bit small, and looks like it could break quite easily
* No 'monitor' feature that defeats the auto-squelch. This is useful for listening to fringe reception stations
* No 'scan' feature to run through all 8 channels sequentially
* Ringtones and roger bleep are brash and cheap-sounding
* No auto-off timer feature.
* Supplied user guide is only a bunch of illustrations - no text! In fairness though, I figured every menu option out just by playing. There is an online manual referenced in the paper one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
K. Ault (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
these work quite well

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 way, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
Very pleased with these quad range walkie talkies, they are exactly as described, we have used them for our business of Bouncy castles and Disco at fêtes and charity events and they work exceptionally well, would certainly recommend, Excellent thanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie (Electronics)
Bought these for a Ski holiday - open mountains, low interference etc so expected pretty good performance given we'd be nowhere near the advertised 10km range.

They struggled at even up to 1km and seem to struggle with almost any objects interrupting the direct line of the signal.

Also recently took them on a sun holiday and struggled even with a single wall in between 2 handsets.

They have now largely been relegated to toys. There must be better products out there & while I can't recommend any I'd suggest having a better look than I did.

Doro WT87 Quad Long Range Walkie Talkie