4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek: "In the Beginning..."
Published on 10 July 2009 by Christopher Pike

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea except for the signature tune
Star Trek - Enterprise - Series 1 - Complete (Slimline Edition) [DVD]

Being a fan of Star Trek universe, the idea of prequel didn't fill me with enthusiasm. What is it with America studios they either go with the prequel or "Young teens Academy". Something I have a pet hate for, a word comes to mind for this sort of thinking but lets just say once load a of...
Published on 21 Aug 2011 by j brooman

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek: "In the Beginning...", 10 July 2009
This review is from: Star Trek - Enterprise - Series 1 - Complete (Slimline Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I've been a fan of Star Trek since the early 80's, back when BBC2 began showing the Original at 6pm but doubt many were ever really that aware of Enterprise, because Channel 4 gave it such a low profile. In some respects it came too soon. Hot on the heels of Voyager, TV was saturated with the likes of Picard, Sisko and Janeway, all running around in 24th Century shows, blinding audiences with technobabble... rather than offering straight forward adventure. Keep an open mind and give this a shot, it got better & better over its short 4 year run. One piece of advice, try to look beyond the theme music to the inspiring montage of human exploration. "Faith of the Heart" polarises opinon between love and hate. There are some thought provoking episodes in amongst the action and rough 'n' ready crew talk, as well some intrigue provided by the Vulcans who had never quite been explored this well before. By the time cancellation hit in 2005, we all thought they had struck gold, exploring the backstory of countless original and Next Gen episodes (such as "How did the Federation form?", "Why did the Klingon's appearance look change?", "How did Starfleet fight a war with the Romulans, but never see each other?"). With so many prequel themes to explore, I really wish they hadn't pulled the plug... They should bring it back, especially since the new movie references a certain "Admiral Archer and his beagle"... albeit jokingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent DVD set, a must for fans!, 24 Jun 2005
Iceni Peasant (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
To buy this set you will probably be a fan of the show already or interested in this genre of TV. You won't be disappointed.
The DVD packaging for a start is very attractive and compact, with a little booklet with the each episode synopsis. The DVD interactive menus are excellent and fairly easy to navigate. With extras such as commentaries and deleted scenes clearly marked. The 3 "Easter Eggs" are quite easy to find too!
The quality of the DVDs is very good, crystal clear and the extras on disc 7 are good viewing. With behind-the-scenes views from the cast and some brilliant outtake "bloopers"....(I've never seen a Vulcan giggle so much!!!)
This First Season was a great start and well cast, with some interesting stories and twists on other Trek series ideas. A really enjoyable Season and a great DVD package. My only suggestion is to shop around a little to get the best price possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek continues its superb run, 15 Feb 2005
Paul Boland (Waterford, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure about Star Trek Enterprise when I heard the premise for it. After three super Star Trek series had well defined the 24th century, Star Trek Enterprise was stepping back to the 22nd century, one hundred years before the days of Captain Kirk. I had doubts.
But these were quickly washed away. Star Trek Enterprise took the Star Trek crown and wore it with pride. Here we get to see mankinds first steps into the Final Frontier. The crew are no where near the space worthy batch we have come to expect. They have fears and concerns about travelling into the unknown.
In Season 1, we get to see the first transporter and the crews doubts about using it. We see how the crew handles an encounter with their first hostile alien species, and the fist star ship Enterprises primative weapons against this deadly foe. The first steps in the Temporal Cold War are set into motion half way through the season which really heats up things. An encounter with a Silent Enemy really is a sinister one. And the season cliff hanger really is good viewing.
I had doubts about Star Trek Enterprise but it has carried the Star Trek crown proudly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go... you never know, you may actually like it, 14 Feb 2005
Rob Moriarty (Leeds, W. Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For all its faults, ignore anyone who tells you that this series is a complete and utter load of rubbish, because they are talking just as much garbage...
Enterprise had the highest ratings for a pilot episode, and, to be fair, it was probably the best (and most imaginative) opening storyline out of all five Star Trek series so far. And for those people who say that the first series is rubbish, well quite frankly almost every major long-running series in television history always struggles at the beginning whilst it finds its feet.
However, with the exception of a handful of episodes, I will concede that season two is a lot weaker and I struggled myself to stick through the entire series. But what was the reward for my struggles? Season three, which quite possibly was some of the best television viewing last year.
A season long story arc, interesting and some unexpected plot twists, even more amazing graphics than previously (which Star Trek has always excelled at) and more tension and excitement than ever.
Season four has gone even further, with a new angle of storytelling, using story arcs in trilogies of episodes, which now makes individual episodes seem pale by comparison. If you don't buy season one or two, definitely get the last two, they are an absolute must. And if you do that, you might as well get the first two anyway to see how it all began. It is just such a shame that UPN are not willing to carry the show into a fifth season, where I am sure it would continue to go from strength to strength.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bold Move..., 20 Jun 2005
When I heard that creators Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were going to set this new trek series before the original series, I had horrible visions of stories such as Captain Archer vs God, or a big pink blob chasing the crew around the ship.
I was mistaken. The dated concepts of the original seires have not been re-produced. Instead, the writers have successfully melded the modern feel of the lastest Star Trek series with historical storylines.
As a fan of the Star Trek saga, I was really pleased to see the first human deep space vessel launch and begin to explore and discover what would become a very recognisable locale later in the timeline.
Opening episode Broken Bow shows our first encounter with the Klingons, not to mention the distrust between Humans and Vulcans.
Other episodes deal with alien encounters, strange new worlds, and an arc in the shape of the temporal cold war, where unknown forces from the future are attempting to alter history.
While this adventurous arc may detract a little from the exploration approach, it is still compelling enough to enjoy.
All the actors seem to fit well into their roles. Since Starfleet is still in its infancy, crew members are not as well trained in space travel, and it's nice to see this inexperience influence their decisions in a way that differs from the other trek shows.
I persoanlly enjoyed this new series, and the second, third and fourth seasons are also well worth watching.
It's a shame the series was cancelled after season four, as it had the potential to make the trek standard of seven seasons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Again.......its actually quite good., 21 Jun 2005
Im not too sure whats got so many Trekkies in a miff about 'Enterprise' but I have been watching all star trek series [bar TOS which I cant stand] for years and have actually bought a series for once.
Now at the time of writing this only the first series of Enterprise is available and I did buy it because it isnt on tv as much as the others. I also admit that it was the Xindi-inspired serioes 3 that got me into the show. However, wanting to know how it began, I bought this DVD[ a little pricey but 26 epsiodes et al].
I can highly reccomend it. The developers strike a reasonable balance between the technologies of TOS AND Enterprise. The visuals are amazing [which some fans even moaned about] and the inter-species relations are explored at a fabulous pace.
The ship itslef gets knocked around so many times on its first voyage and the writers show very well the primitive nature of Man compared to say the Vulcans.
Altho pricey it is definetly well worth it and I wud quite like to hear other fans views on Series 2 which I have yet to see.
Ignore the hype coming from the other side of the pond and buy this if u enoyed series 3 or any series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you've heard..., 15 Nov 2009
Having been a fairly dedicated follower of The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and (to a lesser extent) Voyager in the `90s - the BBC2 repeats in the case of TNG, since I was only seven when it originally ended - I recently decided to watch them again on DVD. For no particular reason I never saw Enterprise when it was on TV; it wasn't that I didn't like Star Trek anymore, or that I didn't like the sound of Enterprise or anything like that, I just never got around to it. Once I'd exhausted all 21 seasons of the `90s shows (yep, quite a lot of time on my hands), I decided to give Enterprise a go, coming to it with relatively low expectations.

All in all, I have to say that I've been very pleasantly surprised by this first season, especially coming off the back of Voyager, which never quite lived up to what it could have been. I think that's the key difference for me; Voyager had an exciting concept with the whole "stuck 70,000 light years from home" thing, but never really made all that much use of it - a couple of episodes per season where trying to get back home was put centre stage again, but apart from that it was fairly standard "strange new worlds and new civilisations" stuff (which was fine, I guess).

Enterprise, though, really makes the most of its prequel status; limited technology makes for some very sticky situations, and more than anything else I think they've done a great job of constructing a galaxy where the Federation doesn't yet exist, and where Starfleet is far from a major military force - for the first time since the days of Kirk and friends, it truly feels as though the crew of Enterprise are out there boldly going etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved the character work of TNG, and the political manoeuvring and all-out war of DS9, but this, to me, is what Star Trek was supposed to be about in the first place.

A lot of people seem to think that seasons 1 and 2 are fairly poor, with Enterprise only getting going in its 3rd season (in keeping with recent Star Trek tradition, I suppose), but, like the 1st and 2nd seasons of DS9, I think this season is quite underrated; having not seen the rest of it yet I'm happy to believe that it gets even better, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that there's a lot of very good stuff here. True, there are a few lame episodes, but the same is true of every season of every version of the franchise, and the good far outweighs the bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Boldy Go..., 30 Dec 2004
I wasn't sure what to expect when I first heard that the 5th Star Trek series would be set almost 100 years before the adventures of James T. Kirk. I thought that it might be cool to see the "primative technology" they used and first contact with the alien races we know and love, but I also realised that the show could really fall flat. Anyway, when I saw the season opening episode "Broken Bow" I was ashamed that I had had doubts. The graphics were amazing, the characters intriguing and the proudcers had got a perfect mix of action, exploration and character, which, with an amazing plot made "Broken Bow" arguably the best season opener in Trek history.
The episodes other episodes of season 1 were also intriguing, good quality as the original and definetly surpassed my expectations. I would have to say that: Broken Bow, Unexpected, The Andorian Incident, Breaking The Ice, Cold Front, Silent Enemy, Sleeping Dogs, Shuttlepod One, Vox Sola, Two Days and Two Nights and, the season finale, Shockwave Part 1 are some of the best episodes of the entire 5 series of Star Trek.
I was very supprised to hear Enterprise was coming out in 2005 because I thought that they would wait for the series to end but I am also very happy and I will definetly be adding this boxset to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... where no Trek had gone before, 17 Nov 2008
Greywolf (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I loved the original Star Trek series, mainly because of the good writing, the interaction of a likeable group of characters, and Gene Roddenberry's optimistic, liberal view of humanity's future. It looks dated now, but it was among the best of its time. The Next Generation didn't gel for me because I found it impossible to empathise with a single one of the crew. What a boring bunch. Deep Space 9 and Voyager also suffered from cliched story-lines and a lack of engaging characters. Then along came Enterprise, taking Trek back to its roots in the company of the most involving crew since Kirk met Spock. How could anyone not love Doctor Phlox? How could any heterosexual male not warm to First Officer T'Pol's tight-fitting cat-suits? Top notch acting, excellent writing, inventive story-lines, great action, superb fx, and a wonderful return to the true spirit of Gene Roddenberry. Brilliant. Absolute TV heaven. Paramount pulled it after only 4 seasons when there were so many more adventures awaiting Captain Archer and his gallant crew. Oh well, maybe they'll get 'em back together in a decade or so like they did with Kirk and co. We can only hope ... Meanwhile, there are the dvd sets to watch and watch again. Most TV shows aren't even worth watching once, so a series like Enterprise that bears repeated viewings is definitely to be treasured.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captain Archer & co's first year of adventures., 25 Mar 2008
Jimmy Lovesey (Cardiff, South Wales) - See all my reviews
Enterprise is a vastly underrated show, both by the general public, and by Star Trek fandom. After seven years of Captain Janeway's frothy, delta quadrant exploits Enterprise is immediately a breath of fresh air(don't get me wrong I love Voyager but Enterprise is a completely different kettle of fish). The show is darker, visually much more arresting, and with characters that are much more realistic and recognisable. Setting this show in the 22nd century (200 years before Voyager/DS9/Next Gen and 100 years before Kirk&co) enables the human characters to be much more like us than in any other Star Trek series. They have similar attitudes to life, relationships etc, and they like to watch TV & movies, Captain Archer even has a pet dog on board. This all adds to make the show much more accessible to the public at large.

Scott Bakula is a fantastic leading man, and the two main supporting characters of Trip and T'Pol(Connor Trinneer and Jolene Blalock) are equally arresting, and overall the cast is probably the strongest of all the "modern trek" series. The episodes themselves are entertaining fair with few classics, but as far as first seasons go thich is of much higher quality that Next Gen, Ds9 or Voyager (all of which had atrocious first seasons). All in all this a strong start to an entertaining show!

ARRAY(0xa0a8aae0)