4.0 out of 5 stars Yet Hope Remains! Newly converted...
Slipknot are a strange entity. They've created a clever image for themselves that allows them to stand out from the crowd (Who says metal has to be serious all the time?), yet their music hasn't always followed suit.
Published on 8 Nov 2008 by Big Gee

3.0 out of 5 stars Wheres the rest of the band?
After hearing the single they released online, i must say i didnt exactly have massive hopes of being blown away by this album. I bought it anyway, and i must say i'm a lil bit dissapointed with the finished product.
Published on 15 Sep 2008 by D. Mcauliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet Hope Remains! Newly converted..., 8 Nov 2008
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
Their first album was not what you'd call a classic in the grand scheme of all that is Metal. It had a dirty, heavy sound but the quality of the songwriting was sporadic, the riffs were often similar, and prone to a lot of noise for the sake of it.
It also went downhill very quickly after the first half. Not an uncommon phenomenon with metal albums, but it got pretty bad... Anyway...

I've never been a big fan of them ever since, and i'll be the first to admit i'm not an expert on them. They were ok, but not a band I could listen to for any length of time. They always seemed to be more for younger metal fans.

The most I heard after that was catching occasional glimpses of videos from later albums. Credit due - their videos are class. Duality was cool.

So, when their latest single Psychosocial appeared on my TV screen the other day and pounded my brain to mush with the bloody end of my own severed arm, I was pleasantly surprised.

So surprised that I actually found myself buying the new album today to see if any other surprises were

Occasionally (amongst the *&^% that some bands release these days) I find a new metal album that actually makes me smile and remember why I listen to metal in the first place.

This is not the same band that released that first album many years ago. This is a stripped down, refined, nonsense-free, focused, and professional, tight unit of a band who have put some thought into what they do.

Straight away when the intro builds up into opener "Gematria", you can tell this is going to be a different experience altogether.

The powerhouse behind Slipknot has always been Joey's awesome drumming and their use of percussion as a whole.

This can be a problem though if the rest of the band can't keep up. Thankfully this doesn't even enter into the equation anymore.
Gone is the Nu-Metal sludge, the self-indulgent mucking about and the excess fat that plagued their first album.

The riffs on offer are top quality, Corey's vocals are top-notch (he can SING!), the percussion pounds into your brain like it bloody well should(!) and the songs kick off with no pretense, messing about, or nonsense.
The end result is a highly polished (courtesy of Colin Richardson's HUGE sound) and slick, but heavy as *&^%, slab of pure, unadulterated METAL! Solos an'all. It deserves to be played loud.

I no longer consider them a Nu-Metal band, and that's not something I thought i'd ever say about Slipknot.

From "Gematria" (6 minute thrash classic!), through "Sulfur" (nasty beast of a tune with a great chorus), "Psychosocial" (a stomping BEAST of a tune with pounding drums), latest single "Dead Memories" (bit of a surprise this one!) and Vendetta (At the Gates & Arch Enemy would be jealous), and onto the songs that take a few listens like "Butcher's Hook", "Gehenna" (very moody. very good.), "This Cold Black" (ANGRY!) and the blistering title track, it's a rollercoaster ride that you'll not regret.

Grab your sledgehammer, crank the volume and smash something!
Or better yet, get it on in the car, windows down, drown out the neds with their techno-garbage, and scare christmas shoppers on a saturday afternoon in your favourite city. Childish, but fun at any age!

Not perfect, but definitely worthy of 4 stars (maybe 4 1/2 if they'd spelt Sulphur correctly!), and one of the best metal albums i've heard this year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wheres the rest of the band?, 15 Sep 2008
D. Mcauliffe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
Yes, their are a couple of really good songs on this album, and i can't slate the ability of the band, the drumming, vocals and guitars on this album are first class.

The main gripe i have with the album is when i listened to it the first time through, the whole time i was wondering "Are Sid and Craig dead or something?" seriously, it's like their not even on this album at all, apart from the intro. Wether it's just a problem with the mixing or something i'm not sure. Gone are the jungle amens, scratching and dance influences, which is one of the main reasons i liked slipknot in the first place. Tracks like "Eyeless","Left Behind" and "Pulse Of The Maggots" made my hair stand on end when i first heard them, i just didnt get the same from any track on this album, apart from "This Cold Black" which is amazing.

I'm still planning on seeing these guys live when they do their next tour in the uk, because to be fair i think a lot of these new songs will sound better live, and to see exactly what sid, craig and the two percussionists are actually doing on these new tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
This was a christmas pressie for my son and he is thoroughly pleased with it. So am I as it keeps him busy and stops him asking me stupid questions :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a Good try-you might be surprised, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
With many bad reveiws on here i thought i would write one so here it is. though i beleive and this is my personal oppinion Iowa was there best album a violent,agressive, powerful and hate fuelled masterpiece. this album shows that slipknot has matured in there music and tried something new. In the eyes of many fans they have sold out or become soft-metal i do not beleive this because many of the members of the band have said this is the album where we did excactly what we wanted to do. so such tracks as dead memories and snuff have a certain stone sour feeling to them because of corey singing voice it does have some amazing heavy slipknot music underneath. so my advice is that give a good try before you simply say this isn't slipknot. so i'll give this album a 5 star rating. right then i'm off for a brew.

4.0 out of 5 stars Play loud, 4 Sep 2008
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
I first listened to this album in mp3 format on my iPod after eagerly getting the CD home and ripping it. I was disappointed - it just didn't seem to have the intensity of the previous albums.

I gave it a chance but it really wasn't blowing my skirt up.

I decided to give it one more go before resigning the CD to coaster-hood so I plopped it into my car's system and fired it up... Herein lies the lesson: to really appreciate this album, you need the volume and power only large (and decent quality) speakers can provide - or perhaps a very decent set of cans. The whole listening experience was completely different and raised my opinion of the album by a whole order of magnitude.

Not perfect, but still good!

4.0 out of 5 stars my first slipknot album - and I'm impressed, 17 Oct 2008
All Hope Is Gone

Well this is my first Slipknot album, having come quite late into this kind of music....I'm in my mid-thirties!.

But what a rip-roaring album this is. Having heard Psychosocial on Kerrang, I really got into and thought if this is what Slipknot are about then I want to hear more. I've not been disappointed. Highlights for me are Psychosocial, all hope is gone, butchers hook and the excellent 'Sulfur' which I cannot get enough of at the moment. I was also surprised by the 'softer' Dead memories which i wouldn't have expected to hear on an album like this but it's a good song, just seems out of place.

If I'm recommending this to anyone, then I'd say give it a try. If you like bullet-speed drumming, some amazing guitar riffs and singers who can sing and shout with equal ability then this is an album for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving my sanity, 25 Oct 2008
Thank god for Slipknot!
I was just about going crazy with the lack of new music in my collection as everything sounds the same recently.

In my opinion this is the best slipknot album as a whole. The songs have really catchy choruses and although there are a couple of "softer" tracks, they do fit in with the flow of the album.

The dvd is a 30min short film that gives a visual incite into the recording of the album - with some eerie alien sceens.

2.0 out of 5 stars The One Duff Album, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
Let's face it, even the best bands have duff albums and this is Slipknot's. I went to see them on the supporting tour for this in Newcastle in 2008 and they only played 'Psychosocial' and 'Dead Memories' off it which goes a long way to saying what the band thought of it as well.

That being said, there are some absolute classics on here in the form of 'Sulfur', 'Psychosocial' and 'Snuff'. But on the whole, not Slipknot's finest hour.

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 YEAR SLIPKNOT LOVER, 23 Nov 2009
Becky Prince (St Annes, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
I've listened to slipknot since they first came around and although I love the band, I was a little bit.. disappointed with the album and I don't think it compares to Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses#.
If you liked tracks like Metabolic, Vermilion and Circle, you'll probably love this album. I've listened to All Hope Is Gone quite a few times now to make sure it wasn't just an album that was difficult to take in and whilst I did enjoy a few tracks such as .execute., Dead Memories and Snuff; I didn't rate the other ones too much.
I don't dislike this track because I feel slipknot have lost talent, because believe me they haven't. I think it's just because it's so different to their other albums.
If this is the first album you've heard from slipknot you'll probably love it, but as a long time fan I find it hard to believe it's them.
Although I do like the quieter tracks like Snuff and Child Of Burning Time, I don't think it's as good as their other records.

(This was not written by Alison, it was written by her daughter.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slipknot but not., 30 Dec 2009
J. Arthur "Axl" (U.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
This it a very different slipknot to the old days. But im not here to write about the differences between this album and Iowa and Slipknot(Album). This album is a mature and well developed also well written Slipknot album. It is not my favorite from the nine. But it is well worth owning and turning the volume max. It is a great album !

All Hope Is Gone
All Hope Is Gone by Slipknot (Audio CD - 2008)