5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest
Another HBO masterstroke. David Simon and Ed Burns creation The Wire is so good it literally spoils other TV for you. You watch CSI and Criminal Minds and it feels like an insult to your intelligence.

Each series takes on a different "theme" or institution; in the first series it examines the workings of the drug trade and the police in Baltimore. "Bodymore...
Published on 13 Oct 2008 by Crazy Bald Heid

3.0 out of 5 stars Hugely overrated - not in the same league as 'The Sopranos' or 'Breaking Bad'
I bought this solely on the basis of the extent to which people seem to regard 'The Wire' as being TV at its very, very best, though I have to say I am quite disappointed.

Having watched `The Sopranos', `Breaking Bad' and also `Homeland', I certainly don't need my TV drama to be spoon-fed. However, with its convoluted plot, poorly-elucidated narrative and...
Published 5 months ago by Biggis

‹ Previous | 132 33 34 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wire, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
It's great, da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da The fewer the better. no more reviews from me

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wire - Nearly Perfect, 13 April 2013
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
Arrived in perfect condition on time. Only issue is "jumping". Season 3-5 has regular slow downs and its annoying and unacceptable from new dvds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why compare The Killing with The Wire?, 13 Sep 2011
Patricia K. Cymbal (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
The two programmes really have very little in common. I watched the first two episodes of The Wire and decided that it wasn't for me. I realise that many unfortunate youngsters can only express themselves by using bad language but I can only tolerate so much of it. Also, I'm not particularly interested in the lives of drug addicts. In an honest documentary perhaps, but not in the guise of entertainment, the purpose for which The Wire was made.

However, I happened on Wallander and I was immediately entranced. No gratuitous sex, foul language or intrusive background music. Just wonderful acting, long moments of silence and interesting stories. I was hooked.

So when we lost Wallander I was bereft, until I watched The Killing. I'm not sure that I don't even prefer it. Of course it's in a different format. Wallander had a new tale to tell every week whereas The Killing is about one murder. However it has the same approach. Nothing glamourised, long silences, dark scenes. I have watched it twice on the TV and have been totally gripped both times. The acting is superb, the different threads interesting and I don't even notice the subtitles. The TV repeat finishes on Thursday and I shall have to buy the set as I shall have to watch it again after Spiral finishes. All three are, in my opinion I hasten to add, the best things on the tele for years.

1.0 out of 5 stars It is with some sadness that I am bound to announce that....., 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
This show, with its ersatz documentary styling and determindly 'realistic' dialogue left me completely cold. Of course there can be no objection to an exciting thriller, I just feel so very sorry for those who feel that 'The Wire' has given them a glimpse of the real deal when it comes to undercover police operations. To those individuals I submit just this: just because the camera shakes doesn't mean they are filming real events.

3.0 out of 5 stars 4:3 format Mumbles, 6 Oct 2013
9sqn (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
After reading the reviews I was really looking forward to this but was then dealt a blow as soon as the credits rolled. It's in 4:3 format. Ok, 4;3 has been fine for a couple of generations and to be honest, even though half of my wonderful 46" tele is unused, I got used to it, sort of. The direction, pace, storyline and development of the characters is superb. Unfortunately, much of the black 'gangsta' speak is completely unintelligible. I'm now half way through season 1 but sadly that's enough now and I've pretty much given up. Too late to return it. Major disappointment. Wish I'd got the Sopranos.

5.0 out of 5 stars French subtitle & zone 2?, 9 April 2009
Celine Macherel (Paris) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
Are all episodes subtitled in french?
Is it zone 2?
This is strange that AMAZON doesn't give more information...

This TV show is the best I'v ever seen!

2.0 out of 5 stars What a bore, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
I was seduced by the many five-star reviews of this television series and bought without hesitation the season 1-5 box. Full of expectation I started with episode number one, but I didn't find it all that exciting the way in which the life of black Baltimore drug-dealers and Baltimore cops working under precarious conditions was described in detail. A bit as if someone had been running around in the area with a hand-held camera aimlessly shooting a bit here and a bit there. I thought it would get better after some time, but having reached episode five I still couldn't see, what should be so captivating and gave up. The series is not completely uninteresting, and if I were on a desert island with nothing else to do, I would probably have watched all five seasons. Normally I can trust the ratings of other Amazon customers, and I have fully enjoyed top-rated series like "Mad Men" and "The Pacific". The Wire may appeal more to a US-American audience than to continental Europeans and this could be the reason why I, being a continental European, completely miss the point.

1.0 out of 5 stars overrated low budget Yawnfest, 15 Nov 2011
Dwight K Schrute (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
I felt compelled to write a review for this tv show, as so many people rave on about how good it is, some even say it's the best tv show ever, and if you've never seen the show, and you're looking at the reviews with a view to buying its my guess is that you'd want to read a neutral review, not just a rave on about how great the show is like most of the reviews on here.

well, each season follows the police undercover in Baltimore, Maryland USA , in the first season they are after a Drug dealer who gets let off. And each following season has a similar theme. I couldn't say exactly what happens in the next 4 seasons as I gave up after the 1st. As it bored me senseless.

If you're looking for something heavy, long and drawn out, little plot or action , set against a depressing backdrop (think 8 mile) and enough f words to give the censors scissor fingers RSI then this is the show for you , provided you can stay awake long enough . All this poor excuse of a show is really, is a (very) low budget movie script , extended to fill an entire season on tv hence the painfully slow episodes and the need for constant swearing to fill in the time and try to keep the viewer's attention and fool them into thinking something meaningful is happening, when it very rarely does.

My advice to anybody thinking of buying this would be to save your money, buy the sopranos instead, or for a full season of gripping drama and action try prison break, 24 or murder one.

I hope this review helps. Although I'm sure i'll receive plenty of no votes from the converts, I just thought I'd give an unbiased opinion to help potential buyers of this box set - buy it and you'll wish you hadnt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and boring, 6 Sep 2012
J. Pavey - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
Sad to see so many rave reviews of the wire, so my opinion to add a little balance. This is possibly the most boring TV series I have ever seen. Characterisation is weak, plot terribly slow, dialogue so hard to follow we need the English subtitles and all the characters portrayed as unbelievably stupid. Surely even the Baltimore police can't be that thick, can they? I am not sure if I'll be able to get through the set. I am only persevering because I paid for it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Authenticity, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] (DVD)
I have managed to sit through the first 3 episodes of series one and find myself bewildered as to why this is so highly rated. One of the reasons for watching films or reading books is to to meet interesting people. In this example we are presented with a collection of characters none of whom can construct a coherent sentence. In fact there seems to be a relentless pusuit, almost a celebration of illiteracy in the interests of authenticity. Contact with stunted, undeveloped, unambitious, unoriginal minds is not going to create interest but simply a sense of waste. Watching for example the drug addicts constantly passing pills between themselves, made me think this may be an inspired parody but I soon realised it took itself seriously. Everything is sacrificed to the god of authenticity - there can be no romance just sex, there can be nothing uplifting or generous just corruption. I am afraid I find this bleak view of life unconvincing and cheap.

‹ Previous | 132 33 34 | Next ›

The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD]
The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] by Dominic West (DVD - 2008)