on 30 April 2012
There are different versions of the Ampero 4850.
This version, LH/SP (NKR) I have now established is only suitable for bike frames built with the appropriate fitting for these types of lock - which you attach with supplied bolts and mounting plate.
The CL version is appropriate for aftermarket fitting, and comes with specific bands to attach the lock to the seat stays of your bike. (However even the CL version may be unsuitable for some bikes with the rear derailleur cable routed down the seat stays).
on 31 December 2011
Just purchased this lock after viewing many options, for me ideal, but that later.

I have just bought a Specialized Crosstrail with Hydraulic disc brakes, this leaves the "V" brake braze-ons free (actually have a bolt in them) this lock fits them perfectly with the 2 caphead bolts provided, took me 15 mins start to finish. Possible downside ~ if the bike was left unlocked someone could remove the lock if they knew how the bolt concealing covers are removed, but if the bike were unlocked they could take the bike anyway.
It is also possible to add a second fixing, the lock has a plate that you can insert 2 small coachbolts through then secure to the lock with 3 self tappers (this is in effect at the rear of the ABUS name plate), I then made a small retaining plate which clamps the top of the lock to the top of the seat stays, there is a plastic spacer that fits between the lock and the plate I made.
Abus could look at providing one with the kit.
Adding this extra fixing added about 40 mins to the fitting time. The additional cable or chain are well worth buying, but I did wait until I knew the lock fitted before buying one.

ABUS take note, I've contacted many dealers by e-mail and phone they have very little understanding of "IF" or "HOW" this lock fits to bikes, yet for the majority of leisure cyclists this would be ideal.

So, a good lock for me, why? ~ I'm retired and cycle for fitness and fun, I do not normally leave my bike where I cannot see it, coffee stops, pub stops etc. I wanted a lock that allowed me to use a water bottle fitted in the frame and was not too heavy or cumbersome and this fits the bill perfectly. I do use additional locks ~ "U" lock's & chain when away with the caravan and leaving the bikes locked to the van.

Final comment, only suitable for city / town worker use with additional locks.
on 14 January 2012
This lock design is stronger than typical D-Locks for reasons I'll not go into but you can find on the web.

And better than the Defender and Type 7 models (both of which I've got) since some Dutch thieves may have discovered how to pick the older locks.

All of them are extra secure because the bad guys only carry pocket bolt-croppers. The smaller sizes of lock-breakers require them to stamp on the arms - they can only do this with locks/chains near the ground.

While these horseshoe locks are superb for shopping type security, they are not a complete solution. If someone might carry off your pride and joy, then you also need the plug in chain to attach to a fixed object. One key for 2 defenses, both of them easier/faster locking than any other system. And much lighter/easier to carry than any alternative.

I have no connection to Abus other than being a fan for over 25 years.

Added - horse-shoe locks are fitted to the bicycle cheaply, quickly and very effectively with self-tapping screws driven into the seat-stays. If you don't wish to do this (aluminium frame maybe?) then cable ties are perfectly acceptable. Abus also do two kinds of after-market fitting kits. The "claw" type is good but the worm driven strap type is a bit iffy.
on 22 May 2013
On a recent trip to The Netherlands I saw that this is the most common type of lock used on bicycles there.
It allows you to lock the bicycle quickly without fiddling with chains and u bolt type locks. Ideal for those quick nip into the store type moments.Its always on your bicycle so there's no chance you will forget it.
The only draw back is that a determined thief can carry the bike off, so I recommend using a chain or u bolt lock if leaving bike for a longer time frame.
They come in thicker sizes over in Holland.
on 15 November 2012
Other reviewers seem confused, but pay close attention to the type of lock you are ordering - Abus make different versions of the same model depending upon how it is to be mounted to the frame and whether or not you want the key to be removable or not when the lock is open.
on 7 January 2015
I've been using this for almost a year and it is an excellent piece of kit that I highly recommend. If you looking for bike security then I don't think you can really go wrong with this wheel lock, and if you pair it up with the companion chain then you've got a really good stury solid anti theft solution for your bike. It does add a little weight to the bike so if you need to keep everything light weight then it's probably not for you, but I wasn't bothered about this, I just wanted something that was easy to use and reliable and this fits the bill perfectly and I'd highly recommend this lock. It is a little more expensive then just getting a traditional bike chain to lock up your bike, but it is a far better solution as it is much harder to remove.
on 16 November 2013
Just purchased a Specialized Crosstrail. Another reviewer said he had fitted the ABUS 4850 to the same bike and rated it highly. BUT it will not fit over the mudguards on my bike so effectively useless. Returned the same day.
Note you do need the brake lugs available to screw it on to(I have discs so this was not a problem). It is also quite heavy so would have added quite a lot of extra weight - but at least it was a solid item and looked secure.
As others have said - No Instructions - but you can work it out if DIY minded. How much extra would it have cost the manufacturers to print a sheet of instructions - and to make it clear that it will not fit over mudguards???

UPDATE 6.12.2013
Now discovered that it was the large head of the allen key bolt (securing mudguard bracket) that prevented lock being fitted. Managed to find alternative bolt with flat head and have now successfully fitted the lock. Works very well. Only criticism now is the lack of instructions. Also, the key is not entrapped when lock not on use - it seems to stay in but I have seen another type where the key stays secure in position, only removable when lock in use.
on 13 September 2015
Neat solution for quick and convenient securing my Pedalec. Abus chain/cable can be added to secure to a stationary object. Fitted to existing brackets on bike with no hassle.
on 28 July 2013
I consider really useful to have a frame lock like this one on my bike. The only complain is that it is very heavy, I should check AXA Defender weight for next time.
on 29 December 2011
A good product. The only con: it is difficult to fix (almost one hour). For short stops, like buying a newspaper with my bike on sight, it is sufficient protection. For longer stops I recommend combination with U-lock (Abus in my case)

See one answered question