5.0 out of 5 stars It just baffles me....
Why some people dont like this film!

Published on 3 July 2007 by S. Firth

3.0 out of 5 stars Chick flick for all
Don't watch this if you want deep philosophy or clever long shot lingering cinematography. But for a relaxing couple of hours it is great. It won't stretch you - but at the end of a working week who wants to be stretched! Meryl Streep is so delightfully demanding and acidic, reminds me of some female bosses.

One for the blokes too.
Published on 6 Aug. 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars It just baffles me...., 3 July 2007
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Why some people dont like this film!

Ok, it's very predictable, but it's fun and enjoyable. Dont go into this film expecting something serious. I mean, underneath it all it has a serious message, that work and career isn't everything, friends and family are much more important. But, the film is just fun. Miranda Priestly (Streep) is fantastic as the boss that everyone fears! The best bits for me are when she is on screen. She steals the film everytime. Andy Sachs (Hathaway) is ok, but i find Hathaway's voice quite irritating. But still, not a bad character. And Emily Blunt is also fabulous as Miranda's first assistant. Her bitchiness inspires me!

My favourite part of the film is when Miranda demands that Andy gets her twin daughters the new Harry Potter book, not just any book, but the un-published manuscript! How will Andy manage that! Anyway, i will leave it at that and just say hope you enjoy like i did!

5.0 out of 5 stars So true, 4 Aug. 2007
Bernard Marcelé (La Jarne, Charente Maritime France) - See all my reviews
I've just seen the film. It's great. I haven't read the book but I will.
Of course there is the story, the acting ,etc surely a criticism of the world of fashion but what a lot of reviewers seem to have missed is that it's so true: graduates, highly-qualified people who are offered jobs as assistants and are treated like trash and used to run errands that have nothing to do with the job itself. I know because my daughter works for an American multinational in Paris and she is asked to do things like buying stamps, making reservations, doing all sorts of things for the people above they could and should take care of themselves.(My daughter has decided to quit like Adriana at the end) So there are no exaggerations, and this film truly shows the way things are run in many American firms.When you think of it you realise it's not so funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, 14 Dec. 2006
This movie is a great adaptation of a novel by Lauren Weisberger, in my opinion much better than the book and that is truly rare.

Ok, the book was kinda.. crap. But the movie took what was good in it and gave it to Maryl Streep.

Without Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada would get maybe 2 star rating, (probably 1..) but because of Ms. Streep giving such a great performance it is reason alone to see it.

I especially liked the way that, as Miranda, she never raised her voice above normal speaking level. Streep has said she based this mannerism on Clint Eastwood, who as Dirty Harry talks very quietly but still intimidates. (so, do you feel lucky? punk!)

This made Miranda much more interesting than the stereotypical, screaming gorgon she could have become. And she is so deliciously devilish that you want her in every scene, but we'll settle for a supporting actress nomination come February in a movie that would have essentially been Pricess Diaries 3 without her.

The film is just too long, however, primarily because the director feels obliged to explain everything -- every plot point is rendered obviously and painfully clear, and nothing left open for interpretation. That said, we're spared the "perfect ending" and left with a heroine who can truly stand on her own two feet, and in any shoes she might desire.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was a little cautious at first..., 16 Dec. 2006
Mr. J. McCabe "jackieboi" (London) - See all my reviews
After reading the book, I thought can I be bothered to go and pay to watch this? But I'm glad I did! Its the type of movie you can watch with anyone, the plots are simple the editing straight forward. It doesn't challenge you, and is probably suitable for most ages, and that rare gem where you find the film is actually better than the book...

What I liked most was the character of Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep), who plays the boss to end all bosses and was really encouraged by her on screen dipiction of, what I believe is based on Anna Wintour.

Would recommend it for large groups of friends or just a pizza kinda movie, its rare to find such a movie that you could just leave on in the background and still enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Clothes, Witty Script, Meryl Streep and Thats NOT all!, 15 May 2007
Clare Byrne "Byrnie91" (London) - See all my reviews
I loved the book therefore i was concerned when i heard that young disney channel one Anne Hathaway was taking on the role of Andrea Sachs and whilst still not bowled over by her performance in the film the hapless, weaker character that her presence created actually enhanced the humour of the piece. Meryl Streep takes a refreshing break from the relm of serious tearjerkers to prove herself a very able comedy actress delivering the lines with such a subtle disdain that slowly builds to create a more realistic hellish boss than the trailer would indicate. Her long monolgues and short snipes stunningly well written and clearly do not differ that much from Lauren Weisenberger's book Emily Blunt is a find that shines in this film as first assistant to Miranda. Not only does she look jaw droppingly fashionable but Emily's portrayal of a worshipping assistant yet also bitchy coworker turned good is one of the funniest aspects to the film. Stanley Tucci is also very good in the small role he fills. The clothes are stunning and the long camera sequences dedicated to wardrobe were for me particularly enjoyable- perhaps for men watching this film (though i suspect not many will) not as interesting. along with the madonna music there is really not a lot this film is missing except for a bit more humour in the end minutes and a better casting of the lead role.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chick flick for all, 6 Aug. 2007

One for the blokes too.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil You Know, 3 Sept. 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
An article I read over the weekend mentioned this film, 'The Devil Wears Prada', and I realized I needed to see it again. The marvelous Meryl Streep has made 'the devil we know', a good thing. My gosh, she's a misery to work for, but what you learn in the process!

A young woud be journalist needs to support herself, and she interviews as Miranda's second assistant. Her honesty, intelligence and lack of fashion knowledge give her the edge and he lands the job. She doesn't understand he job, until Nigel, played by Stanley Tuci, as the magazine's fashion director explains it in terms Andrea understands. She changes her style and hair and becomes the job and the assistant Miranda wants. Unfortunately it changes her relationships, and life becomes difficult.

We all had dreams as a child, I wanted to be a 'secret spy', I still read all the spy mysteries and thrillers, and had a great career, buti did not follow my dream, obstacles occurred, as they often do. Andrea realizes her dream for awhile, and then it comes undone. But life moves on and so does Andrea. Miranda remains the same, alas.

Recommended. prisrob 09-03-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Take my advice and Buy it., 11 Feb. 2008
Ok I will hold my hands up - I was really reluctant to buy this dvd as I really believed I would hate it.

Yes I know it had great reviews but being a Guy I am not really into ' fashion '

Once I bite the bullet and bought it I soon realised what I was missing.

The four main actors are Fantastic and special praise has to go to
Meryl Streep and even more praise has to go to Anne Hathaway.

If you were like me and thought its not for you take my advice and Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but could have been so much sharper and cutting..., 27 Dec. 2007
J. R. Turner "Jenny" (Wales) - See all my reviews
With a screen icon like Meryl Streep in the driving seat, ably supported by a case with impeccable timing and displaying the 'fashionista temperament' to a tee, this film should have been great.

It could have been great but, in my opinion, it just wasn't 'biting' enough. It wasn't the fault of the actors but of the script itself. I think if you're going to make a film about the fashion industry and you can get a screen idol like Meryl Streep to play the lead role, the material and script need to be top class.

When I watched the film I was surprised that more hadn't been done... I wanted to cringe with delight at the political incorrectness and I wanted to laugh out loud at the parody that is the 'size zero' industry... but I didn't, although I did enjoy the film I wouldn't watch to watch it more than once or twice.

It was good, not great but definitely worth watching for the performances of Meryl Streep and Hector Elizondo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Cast and an Enjoyable Story, 16 July 2007
Obviously this weekend my wife had control of the television. That's alright though because whenever that happens I usually end up having lower expectations then usual and find the viewing experience to be better than expected. This was not the case with The Devil Wears Prada, as this little movie did have a lot of hype, even among movie snobs and cinephiles like me. It seemed that critically this was on a higher level than the chick flicks I typically find myself rolling my eyes to after my wife has gained control over the television. After the viewing I think it is fair to say that The Devil Wears Prada deserves every bit of praise it has received in 2006.

From what I understand this movie was adapted for the screen from a novel written a few years ago. Andrea or Andy (Anne Hathaway) is a new Northwestern graduate and somewhat nerdy and awkward girl who just received a job as a co-assistant for a highly demanding editor of a fashion magazine named Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep). Andy is at least awkward and nerdy in Miranda's competitive and ostentatious world. Most girls would love Andy's opportunity but Andy doesn't seem to care and for a while even sees herself as above the fashion culture. Andy fails to fit in well and it grates on her. She is also employed by a horribly demanding boss in Priestly. Miranda Priestly is notorious and after some time Andy begins to enjoy the challenge, especially after the entire supporting cast in the film doubts she can last. Also, Andy's opportunities will expand tremendously if she can prove to exist under Miranda for a significant amount of time. There are good side plots and certain developments which I won't reveal, but rest assured the film is fun.

The screenplay is written to be palpable to a wide audience and that can make a film outside of this viewer's favorite genres more entertaining. However, it is the cast in The Devil Wears Prada that makes it a success. Meryl Streep definitely delivered one of the most effective comedic performances I have seen in years. Her nomination for an Oscar was well-deserved for several reasons. I hold out hope that it is her understanding of the dry humor and arrogance in Miranda's character that earned her the nomination and not the mushy scenes that typically earn attention from the Academy. Meryl is outstanding and the character allows for an amazing display of her talent. To Anne Hathaway's credit, she holds her own in each scene and her ability to make Andy likeable in a situation where I could've just as easily sympathized with the villain deserves some praise as well. I was even more surprised by the supporting cast here, especially Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci who played distinctively different roles than I'm used to seeing them play.

The Devil Wears Prada is a not a profound film that attempts to comment on larger things. If it did, it would've failed. That isn't to say the film lacks depth entirely and manages not to say anything. It has its points. I had trouble at first trying to figure out where The Devil Wears Prada stood as a critique of the fashion culture it is showing us, but that was not what the film set out to do. The fashion world is merely the film's setting to tell this story. One of the best messages I got from The Devil Wears Prada also happened to be the one that placed the film squarely against the grain of on-the-surface similar stories. The story allowed me to pragmatically support its villain. If Miranda Priestly were a man she would have the respect of her colleagues but instead they fear her. That point brought The Devil Wears Prada away from conventional comedy and into a coming of age story for Andy as in many ways she began to respect Miranda just as we do. It cut much deeper than I expected, even with all that hype.

The Devil Wears Prada [Blu-ray] [2006]
The Devil Wears Prada [Blu-ray] [2006] by David Frankel (Blu-ray - 2008)