Platform: Nintendo DS|Change

on 4 August 2008
I purchased this game last Friday as I have read the Puzzler magazines on holiday for years and always thought they were the best of the bunch. As this was an official game I had quite high expectations.

I must say the format does take a little getting to, but once you get it, its very addictive. I liked that I can choose my preferences and only do Wordsearches and Crosswords if I wanted, or try something different with the variety on there.

For me its replaced the Metro on the long journey to work, and although its challenging if you play the proffessional levels, you can make it as easy or hard as you like. (My daughter is currently impressing the family on beginner crosswords)

I do think it fills a gap on the DS and If its still this enjoyable in a months time it will have been a good purchase indeed.
22 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2008
Having purchased "The Puzzler" magazine for a lot of years (20+) I always enjoyed the wide range of different types of puzzles portrayed and, as such, I eagerly awaited the delivery of my Nintendo DS version.

I was disappointed to see that there are only four types of game available: crosswords, word searches, fitwords (where you have to fit all the words into a blank grid) and sudoku. No sign of the logic problems, or Jigwords, or codebreakers!

Having said that, the games are quite good and the interface is intuitive. I travel a lot so this will probably while away many an hour in airport departure lounges, as well as helping to keep the old grey matter active.
22 comments|187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2008
I'm a big fan of those puzzle books you get at railway stations, so when my boyfriend bought me this for our Nintendo I was quite excited.

You get sudoku, wordsearch, crossword and other word puzzles and you can even choose your difficulty level so if you find you're good at lower levels you can challenge yourself. You can even try and beat your own time limit.

It's really good value for the amount of puzzles you get - keeps you occupied and good practice for your brain cells. Recommended for competitive puzzle fans like me!
on 17 October 2008
This could have been a great game: there are four puzzles, they've been compiled well and there are several modes, allowing you to pick a certain type of puzzle or play what the game throws at you or play puzzles against the clock. Other reviewers have described the puzzles well so I'll move on to the problem.

The problem is that the game has been implemented badly: you often have to select something on the touch screen more than once before it registers that you hit it and the touch screen is often inaccurate - selecting the wrong word or the wrong square.

I wish they'd done a better job of making this game. I still think it's worth playing but it is frustrating when you spend ages trying to select the right item or get stopped in the fast and fun mode by a mistake when you had tried to select the right item.
on 4 August 2008
Great play modes - especially the quick blast that unlocks new puzzles!

One to buy and keep for a little brain chill time...Great value and you do not even need to be a puzzle fanatic to enjoy each puzzle type.
on 4 August 2009
This game has been disappointing, which is a shame as it could have been much much better. The main reason is that the graphics are very small and it quite often picks up the incorrect answer.
I would say that if the screen had been used to the full advantage and the graphics had be made bigger, it would be a very playable game.

Not a game for the serious puzzlers as it would be very frustrating.
on 4 August 2008
This is the first game I bought for myself on my Son's DS and I must say its been lots of fun. He is at the age where he thinks he knows it all, so its been fun to have a way to prove him wrong & he is way way off my score for wordsearch and crossword.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2008
This a great puzzle pack......BUT I do find it very difficult to get it actually to get to the puzzle or game.The opening list of things to press to tell the DS to start up the chosen game seems to be over complicated.I do sometimes find I spend more time getting the thing up and running,hence have lost much playing time,and I certainly cannot pick it up casually play a short game or do a crossword unless I have plenty of time.Once it is in the puzzle mode all is fine......but then I am loathed to switch it off knowing I will have to go through the whole drama to start it up again !!!!!
on 4 August 2008
A fun package of puzzles - particulary like wordsearch and fitword. Well worth the purchase. Kids also loved helping and can't wait for the Wii version.
on 1 May 2009
I am really enjoying this game! It is divided up so cleverly into different levels and types of puzzles so that you can access exactly what type of puzzle you want to play very quickly indeed. It is ideal for people like me who don't have a lot of spare time. I can just complete a quick crossword or sudoko grid whilst travelling to and from work or if I have time in evening can up the ante and enjoy spending more time on puzzles which challenge me a bit more.
I would say this is a puzzle collection designed for all ages and abilities.
I would thoroughly recommend it as a first collection for the puzzle novice but would also say the more experienced puzzler will have great fun with this game too.

See one answered question