on 25 July 2011
I used these when I first set up my tank, as I didn't quite want to stretch to the £30 odd that the API Freshwater Master Test Kit would have cost me.
These aren't quite as accurate, as I have used a test strip, then taken a water sample to pets at home and the readings were different, and the nitrate/nitrite was showing higher on the API test than on these strips.
As long as the squares for nitrate/nitrite are the best they can be, I'm generally not worried. If they get to the orange zone (a handy colour chart on the side of the tube) then I tend to do a water change.

Would recommend for someone who has a well established tank that doesn't need frequent checking. Anything else, I would go with the liquid and test tubes offered by API, as you get a much more accurate reading.
on 2 November 2012
It's handy to have a test kit. This one is fairly easy to use and has all the basics that you want. I was able to detect that one of the rocks I'd put in the aquarium was raising the KH. So I removed it and it's been stable since.

The colours can sometimes be slightly difficult to judge, but I can usually tell that I'm within safe limits. It's probably not the kit for you if you want perfect figures, but for general use, I think it would suit most people.
on 29 October 2012
I have used these strips recently and they are useless, did not pick up that my nitrate & nitrate was dangerously high and have lost fish. If you want a good kit go with something like Nutrafin Mini Master Test Kit much more accurate and reliable. Don't bother with these a waste of money.
on 28 November 2015
OK, they're not as accurate as some of the expensive bottle tests, but give enough indication, with minimal effort, that there is something wrong with the water in the tank. Does its job in a short time and really simple to use (which is just as important).
on 26 March 2010
Probably ok for keeping track of Nitrite and Nitrate when setting up an aquarium, but the ph and hardness measurements are virtually useless and cannot be relied upon for an accurate reading. On the colour chart 8DH is virtually the same shade of dark red as 16DH, which means that testing for anything in between is pointless - you can tell the difference between 'hard' and 'soft' and 'acid' and 'alkaline' but that's about it.

Nitrate and Nitrite are a more useful climbing scale of pink but the scale is not regular so no good for accurate readings. Still, it will tell you when the aquarium is safe for adding fish so if that's all you want it for, then go for it. Otherwise steer clear. 6 in 1 might sound like a bargain but if, like me, you end up buying separate test kits as well, then it's probably not.
on 23 March 2012
These test strips offer a test for nearly everything but miss out the important Ammonia test.

On top of which the test chart printed on the bottle is difficult to use as matching a test result to its very similar shades can be very difficult. Nitrates in particular is hard to read - the shades of pink are all quite similar.

The tests are supposed to be compared after 1 minute of having dipped the strip in the aquarium water but certainly the colours do develop more given a longer time. You can spend a minute trying to decide which pink the nitrate test is showing so who knows how accurate the other tests are going to be after that length of time.

Because I was not sure these strips were really working that well I bought a liquid test kit and sure enough it gave me quite different readings, particularly in terms of pH and a much easier to read Nitrate reading.

Can't really recommend these as I'm not convinced of their accuracy.
on 9 January 2016
Given this 3 stars, as the '6 in 1' title is misleading. Other brands of testing strips that are 6 in 1 do a separate test for ammonia, which is very important when you are setting up a new aquarium. This does not test separately for ammonia - despite an earlier review to the contrary! Is a good price for the product though, and would be fine to use once the tank is cycled and you are just keeping an eye on your water parameters.
on 15 November 2011
Very easy to use and helps to maintain a healthy aquarium as well as being very cost effective.i use it weekly when first setting up and then about every 10 days in between water changes.
on 16 March 2016
I know these test strips won't give as accurate a reading as a proper test kit, but they do seem to be quite consistent. I suspected we had a problem with high nitrate levels in our tank, and these test strips confirmed it. When I took measures to rectify the issue, these strips also confirmed levels were returning back to normal.

These strips do not check ammonia levels, and the nitrite/nitrate readings fall within certain ranges rather than giving precise readings. This makes them more suited to quick tests on established tanks rather than closely checking levels in a new, uncycled tank.
on 7 April 2014
I've always used these strips to test my aquarium water before each water change. A useful idea is to carefully cut the strips in half with a sharp scalpel knife. The test area is obviously reduced, but if your eyesight is good you double the quantity!