on 16 December 2009
To date Beethoven's fourth and fifth piano concertos thrill and satisfy me most. Nothing else can quite measure up to them, but Ten Holt's Canto Ostinato comes awfully close: mesmerising minimal music. Perhaps not for everyone but highly recommended nonetheless.

NB. Every performance is different because the performers themselves decide how often the various minimal musical elements are repeated; they also set the tempo. Consequently there are big differences between performances. Also check out the slow and long version by Gerard Bouwhuis, Gene Carl, Ariëlle Vernède and Cees van Zeeland and the much faster and shorter one by Kees Wieringa & Polo de Haas.
on 29 January 2009
Hypnotic and remarkably addictive. My tastes run from classical to indie (more indie than classical) and this is easily my favourite purchase in the last 12 months. Even my kids like it. But not for everyone I guess, so try to hear a sample first before you buy.
on 9 June 2009
This is a truly exceptional recording of a modern masterpiece.There is something magically neuropsychological going on here,many people use the word "mesmeric" or "hypnotic"to describe the experience.My best guess is that the rhythms used somehow fit into the natural patterns of neuronal discharges,and a sort of reverberating, auditory, neuropsychological and emotional circuit gets set up.The perfromers are certainly onto it,and they communicate brilliantly.It doesn't matter what music you like normally,your brain will not be able to resist joining in. Who did mind-melding on Star Treck, I forget? I come from planet classical and folk.