5.0 out of 5 stars A musical feast, and a bargain too., 27 April 2012
This review is from: Schubert: The Song Cycles - Die schöne Müllerin, Winterreise & Schwanengesang (Audio CD)
This delightful melodic set captures the essence of Schubert within these song cycles, creating a feeling of mournful wistfulness ideal for listening to on a cold winter's evening. The stripped bare nature of the recordings seem to generate an air of purity and clarity - maybe there are better examples as another reviewer states but I am not an expert, I just know that I enjoyed these recordings enormously.

Now look at the price - a bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving wintereisse, 14 Jan 2011
Rev. R. J. Fisher (Loughton, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I've just finished listening to "Winterreise" on this recording and the thing I'm left with is a sense of just how close a musical partnership there was between DFD and Gerald Moore. They play as one, hand in glove and know where they are going with the music. This left me confident that I was in good hands, of "masters" as the previous reviewer states. The way certain songs were done left me particularly impressed through the characterisation that the artists gave to their interpretation ("Auf dem Flusse" and "Die Post" for example). I also found the last song very touching by the simplicity with which the pathos of the words were sung. It is not as dramatically sung as the recent Werner Gura/Christoph Berner recording which recently I have found even more engaging, but is still superb.

I personally would not be concerned about the quality of the recording here. It is not digital but is good analogue sound.

It is almost worth the asking price for this "Winterreise" alone so with the other two discs as well this is a snip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in Every Way, 31 Dec 2012
I knew I would enjoy listening to the three Song Cycles at my leisure having finally given up on casettes! I had not realized how clear and pure the sound would be on these recordings.
The songs are extraordinary and DFD is perfect - just voice and piano and an infinite variety of moods and tempo.

The 3 CDs are in individual paper sleeves with a superb booklet with background infomation and a full 'libretto' - all encased in a very fine small box. Most impressive indeed.

I do not claim to be knowledgeable about the finer aspects of lieder and their presentation but I can only emphasise the great pleaseure gained from litening to these CDs. If you are unsure then dip into Youtube and listen to one or two songs preferably in a quite moment without pressure of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Masters at work, 31 July 2012
It is difficult to praise this recording too highly. I have not heard many other recordings of the Schubert song cycles but here, with both the singer and accompanist at the top of their form, the sheer intensity and often pathos of the singing, particularly in the more sombre Winteresse cycle, must be as good as it gets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Danger! Masters at work..., 30 Aug 2008
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I cannot claim great knowledge of the Schubert song cycles, so I cannot compare these recordings with myriad others and say whether they are better or not so good. All I know is that this is gorgeous music, beautifully sung and played, as only someone with the profound artistry and depth of knowledge of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau could do. The beauty of the voice is extraordinary. And then there's the sensitive accompaniment by the King of accompanists Gerald Moore.

The fact that these are old recordings (1971) is not in itself a drawback, but to me the recording lacks the crispness and immediacy of a really good recording. Compare the "Winterreise" of Christoph Prégardien/Andreas Staier (the latter on a vintage fortepiano) to see what I mean. Nevertheless, for the price, a musical feast.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy and well, 9 July 2014
replacing the original vinyl , listening again with pleasure after many years. A good buy and well priced

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Day treat, 25 Dec 2011
I received this today as a Christmas present. I have been playing it all day and it is marvellous. DFD makes it all sound so natural. My wife and daughter enjoyed it the first couple of times, but are perhaps running out of patience now. Fab.

Postscript, 10th January 2012. Still listening to this almost every day. More or less the best tenner ever spent on me.