4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe - watch the sizing
This is an excellent shoe. Really comfortable and well made.

The only thing to watch for is the sizing. I am a size 9 normally but I had to get size 9.5 in the Merrell shoe. Some posts here said they were a size 9 but had to order size 11. I couldn't quite believe that but ordering at least a 0.5 size above would be advisable.

Apart from that...
Published on 13 Dec. 2010 by sprocketman

1.0 out of 5 stars They Don't Last!
Published 3 months ago by Green Techie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe - watch the sizing, 13 Dec. 2010
This is an excellent shoe. Really comfortable and well made.

Apart from that you'll be able to walk in these all day and your feet will still feel good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Footwear to change your life, 5 May 2013
This is the 5th pair of Merrell Moab's that I've bought and for many good reasons:
a) They are incredibly comfortable - it's like a huge pressure has been removed from your feet when you put them on.
b) They look good - not too sporty and not too dull.
c) They last - these are pretty much the only footwear I have and I only replace them every 12 months or so (for purely aesthetic reasons.)
d) They are great value for money. especially if you buy them on Amazon and get them for way less than high street.
e) They are versatile and dependable - the breathable Gortex and trusty Vibram sole means they perform in any weather condition so that your feet don't get sweaty in the summer or wet through in the winter.

I recommend these to anyone that will listen.

Please note though that they are a small fitting so buy a size larger than you normally take.

1.0 out of 5 stars They Don't Last!, 18 Nov. 2014
For many years I have been using cheap trainers to wear around the house, garden, doing DIY, taking the kids to school, etc. I live out in the sticks and often have to walk through long wet grass – too often to go back and get wellies each time. I was pretty fed up of getting wet feet until a friend showed up in some cheap waterproof trainers. I knew must get some!

Thinking I'd buy a decent pair to make sure they lasted I purchase a pair of these Merrell Moabs in December 2013. After 4 months they had started to leak and both feet were getting wet. After 6 months the sole was coming off the right shoe. I checked the reviews here and found a few people with the same problem, but they said they'd been given the run around by Amazon and Merrell – each saying it was the other's responsibility. It didn't seem worth complaining.

After 8 months the sole started coming off the left shoe. By 10 months they had pretty much disintegrated and were becoming dangerous to walk in. By 11 months I decided to call Amazon anyway and, without quibble, they agreed to refund me and arranged for the shoes to be collected. Three cheers for Amazon!

What really annoys me is that the cheap trainers I used to buy would last 2-3 years. I still have the previous pair and they look newer than the Merrells! The Merrells looked old by six months and I had stopped wearing them in public. The soft felt-type material on the outside started wearing off alarmingly quickly. This did not happen to my old trainers and I still don't know if it's just from walking through grass or from kneeling down in them, but I have not used them to play football, or kick anything for that matter! I have posted some pictures and you can see that there is no obvious wear to the soles at all, so they have not had a hard life.

I will not be buying Merrell shoes again.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most comfortable walking shoes i've ever owned, 4 May 2012
These are amazing . They are very comfortable and I just cannot really believe how good they are. It feels just like wearing comfortable trainers and yet the support they offer is better than most walking boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shoes, soooo comfy!, 18 Jan. 2013
I have been wearing Merrells for about 12 years now and cannot fault them. So comfy for daily wear and hiking, and they also look great!

This is the 2nd pair I have had of this particular type and I absolutely love them. My one niggle with them is the reason for the 2nd pair... they are a bit tight compared to other Merrells. I would suggest buying a half size bigger than you normally get, otherwise they are tight and a bit short. I went a half size bigger on the 2nd pair and they are now the best fit and most comfortable Merrells I've owned! Bit strange as I've always been a Merrell size 9 but never mind!

Buy them! Just buy a half size bigger when you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars best shoe ever, 7 Oct. 2012
I am a milkman, and over the years I have tried every type of shoe, and trainer. These are expensive, but they are the best. They keep my feet dry in all weathers. they are very comfortable, and they last me for about nine months per pair. Any other shoe will last me 3-5months tops. So for walking and working, these are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Comfortable and Durable Footwear - The Volkswagen Golf of Shoes, 7 Sept. 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought a pair of these hiking shoes from the Go Outdoors store in Oxford, about 18 months ago. I spent over two hours in the store, and tried on over 20 different types of shoe, primarily from Merrell and Salomon, but these were the stand out pair. They are extremely comfortable and well cushioned, and they hug the foot including the arch and heel, perfectly. They almost seem to put a bounce in your step. I wear them in all weathers, they are waterproof and well aerated, and have a feeling of sturdiness which makes them a sheer pleasure to wear. They are not too bulky and cumbersome for driving, and they are lightweight and tough enough for a very long walk. I work in an office as a solicitor, which is about the only time when I don't wear these shoes. They are not designed for jogging, and the materials used are a little too thick for very hot weather, but these are the only two chinks in the armour which I can think of. They are more comfortable than any pair of trainers, or plimsolls, or even slippers, that I've ever owned, which is an amazing testament to their design. I'm 46 years old and I've never owned another pair of shoes as comfortable as these ones. They still look really good after 18 months of almost daily use. I can thoroughly recommend these walking shoes if you're looking for a good all-round pair of walking shoes, superb quality and worth every single penny I spent on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 25 Sept. 2011
This is a really sturdy trainer, breathable, and waterproof - probably the most comfortable one I have worn. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 2 Jan. 2012
I have now owned 3 pairs of this training/walking shoe and have used them extensively on different terrain. I use them around camp and find they provide excellent grip on wet grass, on rough tracks and mountain paths I find there is sufficient strength and support in the sole so that you do not feel every stone and rock you walk over. Around twon they look good as smart casual wear. The gore tex waterproofing works like a dream keeping your feet comfortable and dry. I would agree with other reviews that the sizing is a little on the tight size and would suggest you go 1 size higher than your shoe size. I have worn all three pairs until they are completely worn out and they always last much longer than anything else I have bought or used. The laces tend to go first and I think they are also a little on the short side followed by the soles wearing out but I am very active and hardwearing the Merrell Moab is excellent and well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hiking shoe with some flaws, 22 Feb. 2014
I really wanted to love these shoes, but it took a lot of commitment for this to happen. My experience with them has been unfortunate in that I have feet that just don't gel well with the design of these shoes - at least initially anyway. I had a very annoying problem with the material pushing down on the knuckle of my big toe on my right foot every time I flexed onto the ball of my foot, which is of course unavoidable when putting one foot in front of the other. If you put your hand into the shoe and feel directly underneath the last interior lace eyelet which sits over the big toe you will feel a hard bump and it was this that was pressing into my knuckle everytime I took a step. Bare in mind this will probably not happen to everyone, but it is worth having a thorough walk around in these shoes to determine whether you will have the same problem.

I thought at first that I was just being over conscious but after doing a few test walks of around half an hour each and experiencing a considerable amount of discomfort, I couldn't deny the matter any further. By this time I'd worn them outside and couldn't return them. Thankfully a bit of helpful advice from my mum who told me to take a hammer and bash the hell out of the bump for about 20 mins, this actually remedied the problem 100%!! Oldschool knowledge for you.

After this these shoes were extremely comfortable and I wore them for 3 month trip around the world in which I wore them everyday. Something that might be worth noting is that these shoes are great for people like me with wider feet

The waterproof lasted until a few months ago. They now leak water through the goretex where my toes have been rubbing on the underside of the liner - there is a little hole in the fabric. Goretex is a good material but in shoes, because your feet rub against the fabric, it will inevitably wear away with time.

The sole has stood up to about a years worth of walking so I couldn't have asked much more, but it is now finally starting to loose its tread.

Barring the hiccup at the start, overall I was happy how these shoes performed and how comfortable they have been. I'll probably be looking elsewhere for my next pair of walking shoes because I don't want to go through the rigmarole of making them comfy enough to even walk ten steps in. Though they are a good shoe I would urge people to try them before buying.