Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 October 2008
Days Of Fire is performed by Natty, an artist starting to get recognition and critical acclaim with his own album Man Like I. This was actually inspired by Natty's own experience of the July bombings in London in 2005. It's a good track, very easy to listen to, and catchy. It sounds like London and it's upbeat and a little bit gritty. A great opener.

October Daze features Tina Grace, who I admit I had not heard of prior to this release. She has a good, dulcet voice. The track reminds me of Portishead in its sound.

Bring It Home includes vocals from the talented Imogen Heap, and starts off very dreamy, slow and ambient but then changes tempo and becomes upbeat and funky, like a track you'd hear in a funky, upmarket wine bar in the city.

Interlude 1 includes spoken vocals by Paul McCartney and it's overall a great introduction to the following track, My Soul which features Paul McCartney himself.

My Soul was written as Paul's first real public expression of emotions regarding what transpired with his ex wife. Very moving and poignant piece with beautiful, subtle female vocals in the background which sound very classical Indian.

Interlude II is comprised of spoken Spanish in a sensual tone, speaking of the mountains. The wood instrument at the end is haunting and again, flows effortlessly into the next track.

Distant Dreams has gorgeous jazz instrumentals and the vocallist sounds very familiar, despite me not being familiar with her by name (Roxanne Tataei).

Interlude III is the most Nitin-Sawhney-esque piece so far; classic funky Indian music and vocals.

Shadowland is much the same as Interlude, although the female vocallist there has been replaced in this track by a male.

Daybreak....The song would not be out of place in some fancy Indian restaurant or on Brick Lane. Gorgeous.

Ek Taan contains mind-blowingly beautiful female vocals and a very relaxing piano instrumental, and it melds into an easy, relaxed next track.

Transmission is relaxed but for me not a track I like because it sounds a bit too monotonous in terms of the vocal register used.

Last Train To Midnight is much the same as Transmission.

Firmament is a gorgeous instrumental, classic Nitin Sawhney. Simple, moving, understated and beautiful.

The album closes with Charu Keshi Rain in collaboration with Anoushkar Shankar, and this, along with My Soul, is my favourite track on the album. Beautiful sitars and relaxing, effortless grace.
on 11 November 2008
I saw Nitin play in Bristol in early November 2008 and he gave the best performance of the 5 times I have seen him. A delicate and sensitive gig, with Nitin mainly playing acoustic guitar, accompanied by some sublime cello playing and indian flute and tabla playing - all mixed with dreamy singing. This album reflects all that. A true concept album - a 45 minute journey through life today. Such a wide variety of influnces - how wrong the last reviewer is! This is a great Nitin album,and I've loved him from the start. Turn it on, lie back on the sofa and let yourself drift away.
on 26 July 2009
THIS IS WITHOUT ANY DOUBT THE BEST CD OF NITIN SAWHNEY SINCE BEYOND SKIN. IT'S LESS POLITICALLY MOTIVATED, LESS INDIAN CULTURE-ORIENTED TOO, BUT MOST CREATIVE AND VERY, VERY MUSICAL, AND THE FEMALE SINGERS THEY ALL HAVE GREAT VOICES.
on 24 February 2009
As tends to be the case with Nitin 'creative fusion music maestro' Sawhney, there are a couple of tunes on here I loved instantly, a couple that I have grown to love and a few that I view more as fillers.
Highlights include ever beautiful vocals from Reena Bhardwaj complemented by some very soothing flute playing.
However, I feel bad even saying this, but this album just seems to have come from the same mould as Prophesy (even in terms of format, with the same sort of spanish/ gypsy type track around half way through). Of course, despite any repetition of style, Nitin never fails to deliver a respectable production. Just not sure it has quite the same breakthrough materials of their time as his earlier works...
If you like his music so far, I would still recommend a purchase and (as is the nature of this genre of music) for you to make up your own mind.
on 27 January 2009
Thank goodness for My Soul, it is clearly the best track on the album. I found myself "shaking my head" in utter bliss at the creativity that NS has put into this album. Just listen to the Fireman's mixes of tracks from the Fireman's Rushes's album and you will get it. Also another Paramount from the Plastic Mac! Thank you NS.
on 2 November 2008
Its been coming for some time and finally Nitin has done it. I felt that the last two Nitin CDs lacked some imagination and this CD is by far the worst he has produced. The pop songs which start the album are derivative and when he finally gets to doing what he does best- the Indian influenced music towards the end- its all been heard before. Added to that the worst piece of music he has ever produced- 'My Soul'- 'sung' by Paul McCartney and I found myself sitting there shaking my head in disbelief. Come on Nitin- you had such promise in your early CDs- lets see a return of that spark!
on 25 February 2009
this album disappointed me. i am a big fan of NS's work, have all his albums, and was awaiting this one with excitement. to me, however, it is a ripoff of himself. each song sounds like i heard it before, on some previous album. same melodies, same ideas. a pity.
on 30 May 2009
I'm into Rock music meaning Guitar stuff. I'm a hardcore fan of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and alike. I'm never so keen in listening to Jazz or World music. But for a break, I sometimes listen to varities of music. Prasanna, another great guitar hero of mine, pulls me into Carnantic and Jazz. The way Prasanna plays guitar made me love the sound of Sitar. That's when I found Anoushka Shankar and I love her everything. Then I came to know Karsh Kale and Nitin Sawhney who she worked with. In the first place, I listened to this 'London Undersound'. Can't tell if it's better or worse cos I don't know what a good music of this kind is supposed to be. But I'm relaxing this weekend listening to it. I can say Nitin is very talented and respected composer and good classical guitarist. And I'm enjoying this album which featured many other artists including my favorite Paul McCartney and (yes my) Anoushka Shankar (lol). A good album for ones like me.
on 6 April 2009
I have a few Nitin CD's and they are all pretty much of the same order. Full of good quality, interesting if not os say quite sophisticated pieces but nothing that get's your ticker racing (if you like).

Well worth having in your collection for an eclectic mix of tunes. Quite enjoy Natty's number and also Paul Macca's albeit it does sound a bit self pitying, I wouldn't mind selling a little bit of my soul for a little bit of his huge fortune but anyway I digress. The rest are good particularly if you are chiiling out.

A number of the mainstream reviewers carped that as a concept it doesn't reflect the urgency of London. I agree London Undersound is classier and more sophisticated than London but probably lacks some of the "in yer face" attitude and urgency.

A better title might have been Bath Undersound or even York undersound. Anyway I enjoy it and if you like Nitin so should you (unless you are called Webster obviously) !
on 12 May 2009
After I heard the soundtrack to the game "Heavenly Sword" I decided Nitin Sawhney was a creative genius, so I researched his work and was delighted to find this album. Download is ASAP- it is a joy to listen to. Only he could bring together such a diverse range of artists to make such a cultural kalaediscope of an album. It is a masterpiece.