5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like heaven.
Days Of Fire is performed by Natty, an artist starting to get recognition and critical acclaim with his own album Man Like I. This was actually inspired by Natty's own experience of the July bombings in London in 2005. It's a good track, very easy to listen to, and catchy. It sounds like London and it's upbeat and a little bit gritty. A great opener...
Published on 21 Oct. 2008 by Flickering Ember

2.0 out of 5 stars nitinfan
this album disappointed me. i am a big fan of NS's work, have all his albums, and was awaiting this one with excitement. to me, however, it is a ripoff of himself. each song sounds like i heard it before, on some previous album. same melodies, same ideas. a pity.
Published on 25 Feb. 2009 by Csilla Der

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like heaven., 21 Oct. 2008
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)

October Daze features Tina Grace, who I admit I had not heard of prior to this release. She has a good, dulcet voice. The track reminds me of Portishead in its sound.

Bring It Home includes vocals from the talented Imogen Heap, and starts off very dreamy, slow and ambient but then changes tempo and becomes upbeat and funky, like a track you'd hear in a funky, upmarket wine bar in the city.

Interlude 1 includes spoken vocals by Paul McCartney and it's overall a great introduction to the following track, My Soul which features Paul McCartney himself.

My Soul was written as Paul's first real public expression of emotions regarding what transpired with his ex wife. Very moving and poignant piece with beautiful, subtle female vocals in the background which sound very classical Indian.

Interlude II is comprised of spoken Spanish in a sensual tone, speaking of the mountains. The wood instrument at the end is haunting and again, flows effortlessly into the next track.

Distant Dreams has gorgeous jazz instrumentals and the vocallist sounds very familiar, despite me not being familiar with her by name (Roxanne Tataei).

Interlude III is the most Nitin-Sawhney-esque piece so far; classic funky Indian music and vocals.

Shadowland is much the same as Interlude, although the female vocallist there has been replaced in this track by a male.

Daybreak....The song would not be out of place in some fancy Indian restaurant or on Brick Lane. Gorgeous.

Ek Taan contains mind-blowingly beautiful female vocals and a very relaxing piano instrumental, and it melds into an easy, relaxed next track.

Transmission is relaxed but for me not a track I like because it sounds a bit too monotonous in terms of the vocal register used.

Last Train To Midnight is much the same as Transmission.

Firmament is a gorgeous instrumental, classic Nitin Sawhney. Simple, moving, understated and beautiful.

The album closes with Charu Keshi Rain in collaboration with Anoushkar Shankar, and this, along with My Soul, is my favourite track on the album. Beautiful sitars and relaxing, effortless grace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another clever but inconsistent work of art, 24 Feb. 2009
Mr. R. Mehta (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
As tends to be the case with Nitin 'creative fusion music maestro' Sawhney, there are a couple of tunes on here I loved instantly, a couple that I have grown to love and a few that I view more as fillers.
Highlights include ever beautiful vocals from Reena Bhardwaj complemented by some very soothing flute playing.
However, I feel bad even saying this, but this album just seems to have come from the same mould as Prophesy (even in terms of format, with the same sort of spanish/ gypsy type track around half way through). Of course, despite any repetition of style, Nitin never fails to deliver a respectable production. Just not sure it has quite the same breakthrough materials of their time as his earlier works...
If you like his music so far, I would still recommend a purchase and (as is the nature of this genre of music) for you to make up your own mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST SINCE BEYOND SKIN !, 26 July 2009
Mr. A. B. Orejas "ALFREDO" (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
THIS IS WITHOUT ANY DOUBT THE BEST CD OF NITIN SAWHNEY SINCE BEYOND SKIN. IT'S LESS POLITICALLY MOTIVATED, LESS INDIAN CULTURE-ORIENTED TOO, BUT MOST CREATIVE AND VERY, VERY MUSICAL, AND THE FEMALE SINGERS THEY ALL HAVE GREAT VOICES.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Nitin album, 11 Nov. 2008
R. Douglas "RoyBoy" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
I saw Nitin play in Bristol in early November 2008 and he gave the best performance of the 5 times I have seen him. A delicate and sensitive gig, with Nitin mainly playing acoustic guitar, accompanied by some sublime cello playing and indian flute and tabla playing - all mixed with dreamy singing. This album reflects all that. A true concept album - a 45 minute journey through life today. Such a wide variety of influnces - how wrong the last reviewer is! This is a great Nitin album,and I've loved him from the start. Turn it on, lie back on the sofa and let yourself drift away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victims of disorganized listening..., 27 Jan. 2009
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
Thank goodness for My Soul, it is clearly the best track on the album. I found myself "shaking my head" in utter bliss at the creativity that NS has put into this album. Just listen to the Fireman's mixes of tracks from the Fireman's Rushes's album and you will get it. Also another Paramount from the Plastic Mac! Thank you NS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow and Soothing mixture of West and East, 30 May 2009
Mr. Bluesman (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
I'm into Rock music meaning Guitar stuff. I'm a hardcore fan of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and alike. I'm never so keen in listening to Jazz or World music. But for a break, I sometimes listen to varities of music. Prasanna, another great guitar hero of mine, pulls me into Carnantic and Jazz. The way Prasanna plays guitar made me love the sound of Sitar. That's when I found Anoushka Shankar and I love her everything. Then I came to know Karsh Kale and Nitin Sawhney who she worked with. In the first place, I listened to this 'London Undersound'. Can't tell if it's better or worse cos I don't know what a good music of this kind is supposed to be. But I'm relaxing this weekend listening to it. I can say Nitin is very talented and respected composer and good classical guitarist. And I'm enjoying this album which featured many other artists including my favorite Paul McCartney and (yes my) Anoushka Shankar (lol). A good album for ones like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not a classic, 6 April 2009
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
I have a few Nitin CD's and they are all pretty much of the same order. Full of good quality, interesting if not os say quite sophisticated pieces but nothing that get's your ticker racing (if you like).

Well worth having in your collection for an eclectic mix of tunes. Quite enjoy Natty's number and also Paul Macca's albeit it does sound a bit self pitying, I wouldn't mind selling a little bit of my soul for a little bit of his huge fortune but anyway I digress. The rest are good particularly if you are chiiling out.

A number of the mainstream reviewers carped that as a concept it doesn't reflect the urgency of London. I agree London Undersound is classier and more sophisticated than London but probably lacks some of the "in yer face" attitude and urgency.

A better title might have been Bath Undersound or even York undersound. Anyway I enjoy it and if you like Nitin so should you (unless you are called Webster obviously) !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 April 2009
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
What a brilliant album - it manages to conjure up many of the sights and sounds of London, giving a good feel for the diverse nature of a big City in today's world. Food for thought as well as a good chill out album. I love it and play it continually.

5.0 out of 5 stars London Undersound Review, 21 Jun. 2010
Mrs. M. Bieris "nannieb" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Undersound (Audio CD)
This Cd was bought due to connections with the Hyde Park memorial. it is an evocative album and surprisingly easy to listen to.

2.0 out of 5 stars nitinfan, 25 Feb. 2009
Csilla Der "nitinfan" (belgium) - See all my reviews

London Undersound
London Undersound by Nitin Sawhney (Audio CD - 2008)