5.0 out of 5 stars It is excellent but do you need the features of the Preferred version?
First up the usual caveats. As with all software you need to make sure your computer is up to running it, and you shouldn't expect anything to run perfectly on the minimum spec. The more up to date and powerful your PC is, and preferably with 2GB or more of RAM the better your experience will be in general. That said, Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) does not need an...
Published on 20 July 2009 by mr_ska

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but no cigar
I have struggled with voice recognition software for a number of years. You see I have Parkinson's disease and find keyboards quite difficult. I also have problems with voice recognition in that my voice is slurred and the volume not very consistent. I long for a computer that will understand me. And have struggled with IBM's excellent ViaVoice before making the...
Published on 31 Dec 2008 by Donald L. Gordon

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars If you have problems return the programme quickly for a refund, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I bought thinking that it would be much better than version 9 which I was running. I had so many problems with it, I was talking to the technical help people for over two months to try and get it to be satisfactory. Eventually the technical people suggested I return to version 9, meanwhile over 30 days had gone and Nuance refused to give me a refund on a product which they knew was not running properly.My advice is if this doesn`t work 100% in the first 2 days return it quickly for a refund. Whole websites are running trying to put problems with this product right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dictation for Everyone, At Last, Thank You So Much, 27 Sep 2008
Tall Mark (Twickenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
My young daughter is dyslexic and successful dictation is a marvellous aid for her. Up to version 9, DNS never really captured her voice very well. Now, with the Special Training option in DNS10, the improvement in recognition of her voice is stunning.

For someone who has struggled for years to get her thoughts fluently onto a printed page, this is a great step forward.

We installed DNS10 on a new laptop with Vista SP1, so perhaps that helped us avoid the upgrade issues which others have described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective voice recognition has arrived, 2 Oct 2009
City Group Plc Crossley (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have used voice recognition software daily at work for more than ten years and have used four or five versions of the old IBM software and Dragon 9 and 10 preferred wireless versions.

I can positively assure any potential purchasers that voice recognition for word processed documents and emails etc. has truly arrived. It works straight out of the box and you do not need an extremely fast/powerful pc but there are minimum requirements.

I record meetings on an Olympus dictaphone and then using the Plantronics wireless headset listen to the recording whilst dictating minutes of those meetings. And it works wonderfully well.

It is also easy to dictate letters/memos to the dictaphone and then, subsequently, have Dragon transcribe those recordings accurately to Word documents.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says!, 15 Feb 2009
G. A. Manahan "Tony M." (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It is almost as good as it claims. It has improved my productivity as I don`t have to send reports out to the typist.

It suits my method of working. I simply call out the contents of my report and then go back and manually correct it while improving the English or sentence construction.

It is also getting better and better at recognising what I say. Well worth the purchase price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably only worthwhile for those with typing-related impairments, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After the demise of IBM ViaVoice in olden times, Dragon Naturally Speaking has become ''the'' voice recognition package in much the same way that MS Office has become ''the'' productivity package. In what has become a near-annual release, version 10 is more accurate, faster, has more bells and whistles etc. than version 9, but none of these are likely to factor into your decision to buy this. I'll therefore go for reviewing the core functionality instead.

The idea is that instead of typing, you speak the words into a microphone (either a desk mic or a headset) and this software converts your speech into text. It does this by gradually 'learning' your voice through 'training sessions' (where you read out a pre-set passage of text) and you correcting its mistakes during ordinary use. There are quite a few issues with it though. The first is that it's 100. Even discounting the economic situation, 100 is a lot to spend on a piece of software which aims to replace a 10 computer keyboard. Add to that the fact that a lot of computer soundcards don't have the microphone input volume needed - so one of the fancy and expensive USB headsets with a builtin soundcard is needed - and you're looking at a significant outlay.

Also, despite what it says on the tin it is never 100% accurate. To even get it accurate most of the time you'll have to spend hours reading out inanely dull passages about foxes jumping over gorillas and other such wonderful things - personally I'd rather spend my time reading a book, or playing a computer game, or actually getting on with whatever work I'm trying to do. There are numerous reports of instability, and it puts far more strain on your system resources than any 'utility' program such as this has any right to. Put simply if you don't have a GOOD multicore processor (ie most laptop ones need not apply) and at least 2Gb of RAM, don't bother.

So if you have a straight choice between using this and using your keyboard, the latter is not only cheaper but is also likely to be quicker once you factor in all the time you'll spend correcting this thing's mistakes. However if you have a disability of some kind which makes it impossible or uncomfortable for you to type, then it's a no-brainer: as speech recognition programs go, Dragon is probably the best of the bunch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dragon 10 will not work with 'old' PCs, 17 Sep 2008
G. G. Summers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Dragon 10 will only work if the CPU supports SSE2 instructions. Some 'old' systems that qualify according to the System Requirements (CPU speed, L2 cache) do not support SSE2 so Dragon 10 will NOT work. There is also a problem with installation, XP as well as Vista, but a workaround has been posted on the Nuance site.

3.0 out of 5 stars mix of good and bad, 27 April 2010
G. Turner (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The software is good and gets better as you use it. Ideal for the small business with no audio typists. However the headset supplied is total rubbish, to the extent that the software wouldn't work due to poor input quality. When I bought a separate (logitech USB) microphone it all worked very well, my voice was recognised and I am now able to use it well, although I still have much to learn to get the most out of it. It is not very good at recognising technical terms - try dictating Deoxyribonucleic acid and see what words appear on your screen!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands-free typing? Almost..., 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I finally had to update my old Dragon Version 5 when I acquired a Vista-based laptop. It's an ideal way of dealing with the awkward, small keyboards you get on laptops: plug in a mike and speak instead of typing! I'm very impressed with this new version: it's more accurate, faster and more versatile. You can use it with a greater variety of programs - I have even managed to do a little hands-free data entry in Excel. To be honest, navigating Excel was a nightmare because I couldn't work out what commands to use, and I couldn't locate any documentation on using Dragon with Excel.I have to say that the the lack of printed documentation is possibly the biggest weakness in the program. For a beginner, it may make the difference between getting a lot out of it and giving up!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 July 2009
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I thought it was going to be easy just up load the soft ware on to the PC and off you go! Instead when dictating to the program to type me a document, it wasn't recognising most of my English words and I was getting very frustrated that I would have to spend allot of time making corrections. I wish I could get a refund as I have spent allot of money on this software. Also I don't have an internet at home which means it does not work as well as it should, according to the information on the package it works best with internet access, I don't want internet in my home, I have one at work and I can use the internet for free at the library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but wouldn't use unless needed..., 5 April 2009
A R Hartley "Monkey" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember early voice recog program's from a few years ago and they were more trouble than anything else, this however i have to admit is pretty impressive.

The software has a good ability to make sense of what your saying and type it out in front of your very eyes. I noticed a few times it got a bit confused as to what i was saying, but got it right for the most.

The voice commands were useful after getting used to them, telling to to hightlight words etc is great but i kept reaching for the mouse.

My 2 biggest cons regarding this was the microphone that came with it didnt work at all, on 2 seperate machines which was annoying. The 2nd con is it can take some serious PC juice after writing big documents with it.

Im running a high end pc and noticed a bit of a drag toward the end!

If this is for a user who has any sort of problem typing then it is a must! but for the average user you could probably carry on using your keyboard...

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb1b8830c)

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10.0 (PC DVD) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 78.55