4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this program!
I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 before with Windows XP and loved it - but Dragon 8 wouldn't run with my new Vista PC unfortunately.

So I was delighted and relieved to see that this new Dragon 10 will work with Vista.
Published on 21 Feb 2009 by Bookish

2.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS :: V IMPORTANT NOTE FOR VISTA USERS
OK so I looked through the box, not a lot in it appart from the Buetooth headset, a small instruction manual and a CD. Great ... So I go to install it and what do I find .... THIS PRODUCT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA 64BIT VERSION. It states on the box it will work with VISTA. Only when you get to the instruction manual does it say "Not 64 Bit"
Not very good when you...
Published on 21 Feb 2009 by A. Cresswell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this program!, 21 Feb 2009
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred Wireless 10.0 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The first time I tried to load the program it froze, so I turned off everything that was running in the background of my PC (by bringing up Task Manager (ctrl/alt/delete) and started again. This time, it loaded up perfectly and quickly.

This version of Dragon supports a wireless headset (provided), but it also works with an ordinary microphone. The wireless headset takes 2 hours to charge up, but once charged you can talk for up to 8 hours before it needs recharging.

I have so far not found the wireless microphone to be as accurate as my wired headphone. I'll keep trying, but have so far found the wired headset much more accurate.

After loading the program, Dragon takes you through a brief reading exercise so that the program can learn how you talk. This is brief: less than five minutes.

Then the program scans your files on your PC to find your writing style and commonly used and unusual words - this took a couple of minutes. Then - it's ready to use.

This is an example of how it works using Word 2007 as an example:

Start the Dragon program.
Start Word (do it in this order)
Say 'Click Office Button' (Dragon opens the Office Button drop down menu)
Say 'Click *name of document*' (Dragon opens the named document)
OR you can
Say 'Click Office Button'
Say 'Click new' (for Dragon to bring up the templates window).
Say 'Click *name of template*' Dragon opens the chosen template.

Then you just start dictating and Dragon starts typing! It really is that easy.

You quickly get into the habit of punctuating as you go (comma) although Dragon also has an automatic punctuation mode if you prefer (full stop) I don't like using that one really though (comma) because it doesn't always get it right (exclamation mark)

From the first, Dragon recognised my full name, my address, local place names and various unusual words that I tried it with. It had picked these up from my files. It operated flawlessly within Word, and I would go so far as to say that, once you have learned the Dragon commands, you would never need to use the keyboard or mouse while working in Word again.

I also tried it out in Windows Mail. Although it wrote an email perfectly, it didn't recognise the commands within Mail - so I had to use the mouse to click on Create New email for example. On the other hand I was able to surf the net using Dragon - just using the command 'Click' followed by the button name (i.e. 'Click Google Search'). It worked very well indeed.

I'm using it to dictate this review as well and it is coping very well indeed.

There is a learning curve for using this program but it's worth spending the time. Being a relatively slow typist (in spite of the fact that I'm a writer!) this program is a godsend to me. You navigate round the page and edit with such commands as 'Select (chosen text)' and 'Bold that', plus more obvious commands as 'Go to the end of the page' and 'Insert after (chosen text). It's pretty intuitive to work with.

For students writing dissertations, writers, people with RSI, people who have physical difficulties with typing, or people who just don't like typing - this will revolutionise your life. I can work three times faster using Dragon.

I just can't praise this program highly enough and I genuinely don't understand why everyone doesn't use Dragon to do all their hard work!

- ADDED NOTE: I've used the Wireless Microphone supplied with the program and I have to say that, despite my best efforts - on my PC it doesn't seem to be as accurate as my normal wired microphone.

The wired headset is pretty much 100% accurate, but the wireless set is probably around 90%. That may be something to do with my PC set up, but I just thought it was worth noting here. If you buy this program and find the recognition a bit disappointing with the wireless microphone - try an ordinary one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised so far..., 30 Oct 2008
I began using Dragon 9.5 due to a worsening wrist problem aggravated by typing. From the first, I found the experience generally frustrating due to the number of mistakes made in nearly every sentence, which slowed my work down considerably. After approximately a year, version 9.5 became corrupt, and while I was loathe to spend any more money on what I considered to be an essentially faulty product, I reluctantly upgraded to version 10, which I have just installed today. (Note: I am not using Windows Vista, but generally, I had no problems with the installation).

I discovered from reading several reviews, that it was possible to upgrade to version 10 Preferred (non-wireless) and still use my wireless headset that came with version 9.5. Those reviewers said that the headset that comes with version 10 is not as good as the one that came with version 9.5. On this, I cannot comment, however, I have added this review to the version 10 Preferred (Wireless) section, so that others interested in wireless dictation will know that the former version headset does work just fine.

So, with admittedly low expectations, I have begun using version 10. I did take the prompts to upload my previous user files, however I did not do any of the other customisation this time.

And I have to say, so far I am very pleasantly surprised. This version does seem to be considerably faster and more accurate than version 9.5. I managed to dictate several entire paragraphs (including this review) with very few errors that I had to correct. This is in marked contrast to my previous experience, where I found myself surprised every time a sentence appeared that was error-free.

While it is very early days, and I haven't tried to do anything fancy, I am feeling hopeful that this version might be a significant improvement on version 9.5. With that caveat, I am awarding this version four stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS :: V IMPORTANT NOTE FOR VISTA USERS, 21 Feb 2009
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not very good when you consider that most new machines ship with Vista Premium 64 Bit now. Abrupt and end of what was going to be a rather interesting review for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved over old version, 23 July 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I last used Naturally Speaking about 5 years ago, for taking dictation. The version back then wasn't uite quick enough to keep up with my speech, so I ended up typing things out to save time.

This latest version is much more impressive, and I can now dictate faster than I can type, which is the whole pint of the software (for most users anywaY).

Now, the program is linked to almost all applictions on my PC, from the WWW to mail, and it can huge mounts of time due to advanced macro features.

The ability to insert blocks of text or signatures with a single keyword is just...well, magic. It makes letter writing so easy it's like having a secretary working for you.

The headset is excellent and just works the way you would expect. I don't know if he extra moeny for this wireless version is worth it, so it's a matter of personal choice.

Overall a massive improvement over what was available a few years ago, and well worth the price in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speech recogntion by the leaders., 6 April 2009
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Do you really need this product. Some may find it a gimmick, but trust me the product is great.
This version comes with a bluetooth wireless headset, which in itself is a great headset and accurate.
One of the major highlights to the command set of version 10 is the ability to work with search engines/sites, such as Google, Wikipedia etc. Bing able to say "Search the Web for Gentle Giant" or "Search maps for Thai restaurants in London open's your web browser and run your default search or map engine with the details you've spoken. This is now bridging the gap between interaction with computers.

The down side I guess is the way it still looks, it still has that feel of dated fonts etc.
I would reccommend spending the time to teach the software, which can take 15-20minutes. I spent the time and after that it seemed to immediately pickup my sentences. In Version 10 idiosyncrasies are more accurate compared to the last version or the IBM version.
Another nice touch is the ability for the software to add axtra words when it isn't sure what you said.

Overall, a great software. Also, if you already have a headset wired or wireless then your best option is to purchase just the software.

Excellent tool and bridging the gap between man and computer inteaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred Wireless 10.1, 1 Oct 2009
It works on Vista 64, hooray! Very good, although you won't realise everything it can do until you've actually tried using it for a week or two with a variety of programs.

Speaking at a natural speed helps, don't speak too slowly as it understands better when it analyses a whole sentence at a time. You can add your own words too like complex names and it understands them as well as anything other word.

Just keep working with it and you will be delighted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, bluetooth enabled and responsive automity, 26 Feb 2009
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Incredibly responsive and accurate, this takes the old image of speech recognition software and blows it out of the water. Accurate, fast, and very quick to 'train', you will soon have this Dragon as a favourite and domesticated household pet.
You can browse the web by voice command, type emails, open and close virtually any programme and it comes with an incredibly good quality bluetooth headset.
It has an amazingly small boom microphone and speaker that sits comfortably, and snugly, against your ear with excellent sound reproduction with no distortion at high levels, always a sign of a good quality in ear headphone. It is also useful seperately as a bluetooth phone headset, so if your at all unsure about buying this programme, you will have this to keep and use long into the future. Battery care is simplicity itself, as it is charged via a mains plug, which is included, and gives up to 24 hours talktime from a single charge.
The best thing though for me is that I have set it up for my elderly mother, and she is now able to control the PC by voice, and has already mastered email via it. Amazing!
I dont think the PC would dare to say no to her!
So, in summary, a defibate buy from me, and a definate keeper in the stakes of the highlights of software 2009.
The only thing against it is the fact that you need to have a decent PC, with good memory capacity (2GB in my opinion needed to run it efficiently) as the Dragon is a hungry little beast, and needs lots of resources'.
Chances are that if you have a PC that is reasonably new though you will be fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Package, 17 Mar 2009
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This really is an impressive piece of software and hardware. I was sceptical that it would live up to the claims made for it but by and large it does. Firstly let me say something about what comes in the box and ease of set up etc:

This is the wireless version so along with the software you receive a Bluetooth headset and USB adaptor. I found this initially a little fiddly to set up but once optimised in terms of volume etc it performed very well (NB you may well want to charge the headset via the USB port prior to installing the whole product otherwise you'll have to stop the process and wait till it's charged - quite annoying that). Once the software is installed and the headset is synchronised you are then guided through a brief introductory tutorial and taken to the Nuance website to register the product (which is very straightforward as you can select a 1-click automatic registering option). Incidentally, prior to receiving this product there was some speculation that one needed to be in an approved field (such as higher education) in order to activate it - this is not the case however. The Plantronics wireless headset works well enough and is easy to adjust, comfortable and roughly gives eight hours use before recharging is required.

So the hardware seems solid enough but what about the software? Well to begin with it should be noted that this is the 'Preferred' software option as opposed to the 'Standard' one. Although this means it is rather more expensive it does mean it has several features that the standard version does not e.g. it incorporates natural commands for Outlook, has Dragon Voice Shortcuts, includes Nuance 'Real Speak' for turning text into human sounding synthesised speech , plays back and transcribes dictation etc. Whether these extra features would be worth the extra investment would of course naturally come down to the needs of the user, though clearly the advantages to a business user are obvious.

Anyway, though you can opt to bypass the tutorials altogether (and surprisingly still get generally accurate transcriptions of your spoken words to text) it is worth going through some of the many 'read out loud' text exercises the tutorial provides. This affords the programme greater accuracy as it increasingly familiarises itself with the subtleties of your voice. I think it is fair to say that this process can be somewhat time consuming but nevertheless seems to be worth it if you have the patience. Additionally this 'customisation to your own voice' process need not be done in long sessions and can be done piecemeal whenever is convenient. Once you have a basic handle of the dictation side of things there is a comprehensive guide that takes you through how to voice control pretty much all of Microsoft's applications and how to execute the quite bewildering range of voice commands. Even though my primary - almost sole - use of the programme is for word processing and dictating into Outlook I tried the other applications and they appeared to work fine also (though controlling the mouse by voice is not something I feel I could ever get used to). Make no mistake - if you want to fully exploit what this version of Naturally Speaking has to offer then there is a hell of a lot to take on board and at certain times I felt a little overwhelmed by the information I was trying to absorb. Patience is the key here though - don't try to run before you can walk (as I did) and it is very much one of those applications that the more you put into it the more you will get out of it: several hours into using this I feel I have barely scratched the surface of what it is capable of.

There are a couple of annoyances that I have encountered though. One is that although the dictionary is fully customisable (i.e. you can record and add any words that are not included in its lexicon) I have had trouble in the programme recognising certain regularly used words. This necessitates me always having to correct it manually which can at times really slow down the flow of dictation (that said Dragon only claim 99% accuracy so I'll let them off!). The other is a little less easy to remedy: although the product claims to process 'conversational' speaking, I found that in practice I have to enunciate my words far more deliberately and clearly than I would in normal conversation. Maybe this has something to do with the tutorials however as they require to read out passages and, like most people, my reading voice is rather different to my 'talking' voice. Consequently this can to some extent 'kill' the spontaneity of thought while, for example, writing an email to a friend. On the plus side though this programme offers up some fun (if perhaps frivolous) use as a means of juggling a whole host of MSN conversations simultaneously - which normally would not be a possibility to all but the most lightening quick typist.

In conclusion I would say that this is a very good - possibly even great - package. As I say its full power and utility will only become evident in the fullness of time. Whether or not it is worth the considerable extra expense to enjoy the privilege of going wireless (and having the extra features) is for the purchaser to decide. Personally this version is probably far too highly featured for my particular needs (I intend to review the standard edition in due course and then will be in a better position to contrast the two).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, accurate, a huge boon for any with keyboard problems, 10 Mar 2009
David B "Piano David" (GOUROCK, Renfrewshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's an amazing thing to speak and to watch your words appear on screen - even in msn messenger - with surprising accuracy.

The software is quick and easy to install (my laptop has Vista) and the initial voice training is fast too. Further efforts in refnining pronunciation would doubtless give increased accuracy, though it's already good even with the initial training.

Given a little effort to learn the relevant commands, and to practice using the software with different programmes, Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 would doubtless be of tremendous benefit to anyone with difficulty in using keyboard and mouse.

When I first read about voice recognition software a few years ago, comments were made about how uncertain and unreliable it tended to be. Things have clearly come a very long way since then.

Of course, if you are a fast touch-typist with no strain problems, and you write and spell fluently, this software will probably only have novelty value for you. But for anyone with repetitive strain, arthritis, or other difficulties in inputting text, this software could be of enormous help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon naturally speaking 10 preferred, 24 Mar 2010
This is a superb product and far better than the version 9.
With very little if any training the software appears to be 99.9% accurate and very user friendly.
I am absolutely delighted with this product and would recommend it to anyone who has trouble typing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred Wireless 10.0 (PC DVD)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred Wireless 10.0 (PC DVD) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 110.00