5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, a definite must have!
when our 3 week old daughterr fell ill, we asked a friend if we could borrow their comventional thermometer, after listening to her screams of protest i figured there must be an easier way, so off i set out to look for one, and this is what we found!

Published on 22 Dec 2010 by Adam's wife

1.0 out of 5 stars Innaccurate and Misguiding Product!!!
Published on 18 Nov 2009 by Ehlovere

1.0 out of 5 stars Innaccurate and Misguiding Product!!!, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: Philips AVENT SCH540/00 Baby Soother Thermometer Set (Baby Product)
We have used this product since my daughter was born and always assumed that it worked properly - however, she became unwell last week and we took her temperature throughout the day using this product, which kept coming up with a 'normal' temperature reading. As the day wore on she became increasingly unwell and we had to take her to hospital, where the doctor took her temperature which came up as 39.2 - not good! I was baffled as our thermometer had given nothing like as high a reading as that, so there and then we used our Avent thermometer to take a reading infront of the doctor and it came up 37.7!!! Completely innaccurate, utterly wrong. This product was showing that my daughter didn't even have a temperature when in fact she had a pretty high one! I am so furious, and will be writing to Avent to complain. It turned out she had a chest infection all along. I wouldn't advise any parent to put their trust in this product at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars False reading!, 22 Dec 2012
My 3month daughter has bronculitus and we brought this as our other one broke and it keeps reading between 35.2 and 35.6. So me and my partner tried it on ourselves and its showing around 35 still. And we are definitely not 35! Totally dangerous! I'm fuming at avent

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, a definite must have!, 22 Dec 2010

its an amazing product really easy to use. if your baby uses a dummy all you need to do is quickly swap their dummy for the thermometer and if they dont the conventional thermometer is soft and flexable and wont hurt your baby's armpit when they start wriggling to get away from it.

i really cant recommend this product enough, its something every parent must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 6 Sep 2009
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I purchased many Philips Avent products when my son was a baby and found them all extremely well made and easy to use, so this combined soother thermometer/stick thermometer doesn't disappoint on this score. The set contains an digital thermometer in the shape of a soother/dummy for use on babies 0-12 months and a standard electronic stick-type device for children 12 months plus and adults, so it's a useful set to have in the cupboard.

The instruction manual states that the soother thermometer needs to stay in the baby's mouth for 3 minutes, so I tried it out on my 7-month-old niece who's not a great lover of dummies, so she kept spitting it out despite my best efforts! Therefore the usefulness of this device very much depends on whether your baby likes the feel of a dummy in their mouth or not, but if they do, it would work brilliantly. Apparently it should tell you whether their temperature is normal by bleeping 10 bleeps in 10 seconds or a possible fever - 3 sets of short beeps in 10 seconds. The stick thermometer worked much better though - I was able to take my son's temperature with relative ease and it was very reassuring. Both thermometers are easy to clean too and the instruction manual is very through.

In summary, it's a brilliant idea and if your baby likes the comfort of a dummy in their mouth then this product will be perfect. If they don't, it won't work but the useful backup of two systems in one box is a very useful addition to a new parent's ever-expanding kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decalibrated after...two months., 21 Dec 2012
I bought this thermometer set for my first baby. I thought it was very practical especially the soother thermometer. My baby was already three months old when I first had to use it. To my surprise it has shown less than 35 degrees whoever I used it on. It was de calibrated after 3 months of not using!
Not worth any money at all!! Disappointed with Philips.

Kasia, mum to Antoni.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer, 22 April 2012
Don't think ive had a right temperature on either of them yet! Says my temp is 34.2 and baby 34.6 and that's the maximum they have reached! Not recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate at all, 31 Mar 2012
I had bought this thermometer for my nephew as he was acting unwell, at first it was reading a temp of 38.1c he went down hill repidly but his temp only veried a few degree so we figured that he just had a common cold. When he finally started to go down hill rapidly we decided to call the doctor it turns out that his temp was 39.7c we were told to monitor his temp and notify them if it changed at al, we decided to use two thermometers to check his temp and the Avent temperature was making up random temperatures every time we took it. I would not recomend this product to anyone and think that Avent should recall them all as they are not a sufficient way to monitor a child temp accuratly!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tempremental., 19 Jan 2012
The soother thermometer can be tempremental sometimes it works and at others time it doesn't work which is a little annoying as purchased thinking it would be an easy way to check my daughters temperature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 10 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
Philips Avent have to be commended for creating such an easy to use and effective product that makes taking your babies temperature so much easier. It's well worth the cost for the combined soother and thermometer alone. Both thermometers are easy to read and a great idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Thermometers for Dummies......., 24 Aug 2009
Jimbo "Jimbo L" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sorry about the pun but this is a really great idea - as well as a normal thermometer, Philips have one which is integrated into a dummy which is a fantastic way of tricking your child.
I received this item on Saturday and fortunately (or unfortunately depending on whether you are in the same house or not as me!) my one year old is teething at the moment so is prone to waking up in the middle of the night. Now obviously it is not easy to work out what the problem is with children and also not recommended to jump to conclusions. Thanks to this rather splendid invention, I was able to ascertain his temperature quickly and easily and make sure there was no other reason for his distress, and able to make the necessary diagnosis (i.e. teething) and cure (teething ring hastily removed from freezer).
The contents of the package are:

1 standard themometer
1 dummy thermometer
1 dummy

Nicely packaged in a handy plastic case this is a great item and excellent to ensure peace of mind. I have used numerous Avent products and have found them all to be of good quality and design.

ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)