5.0 out of 5 stars Where No One Has Gone Before, Again
Paramount and producer/director JJ Abrams took the bold step of taking "Star Trek" back to square one with this terrific, spirited re-boot of the classic tv series from the 60s.
Published 7 months ago by DavyG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film, disappointing box
Published on 22 May 2010 by Jules

5.0 out of 5 stars Where No One Has Gone Before, Again, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Star Trek [DVD] (DVD)
The fabled "five year mission" of the Starship USS Enterprise under Captain James Kirk lies in the future when we pick up the story. Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood) commands the Enterprise when Romulan renegade Nero (a splendidly hard nosed Eric Bana) arrives from the future via a black hole, hell bent on wrecking havoc against the Federation which he misguidedly blames for the destruction of his home world. Pike must lead his new crew, with young officers Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy, Scotty and co, into a desperate fight for survival; so it's a whole new cast, but the same old thrills and spills!
I must admit to having my doubts to begin with. For this to work, the studio had to get things spot on in terms of "re-casting" the iconic
Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and the rest with new faces to take their place, but thankfully they got things pretty much spot on. Chris Pine swanks about in the manner born as a headstrong young Kirk, Karl Urban and Simon Pegg are great as a comedy double act McCoy and Scotty, and the outstanding Zachary Quinto as Spock looks as though he's undergone a Vulcan mind meld with Leonard Nimoy.
To add to this, we've got a great script which packs in a ton of action and a load of humour, and first rate special effects, all handled with terrific panache and due reverence for the original series by director Abrams. This might not be cutting edge sci fi, but by gum, if you want entertainment for your cash, "Star Trek" delivers in spades. Get out the beer and crisps, settle back, and let the crew of the Starship Enterprise take you where no one has gone before, again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, 15 Oct. 2013
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Trek [DVD] (DVD)
A superb introduction to a new Star Trek universe. I saw this at the cinema, but as the new film is about to come up on the satellite film channels, I thought I would like to see this one again before seeing the new one, so I just bought the DVD.

Bringing new versions of much loved characters in to the public eye is always a tremendously difficult task. To cast nearly all the major roles with actors who manage to convey so much of their original counterparts without going so far as to be just outright impersonating them is a work of genius, and their own acting abilities are also remarkable in this regard. The only exception perhaps would be Simon Pegg, who is definitely not really channeling Scotty at all, but makes the character his own, and very well he does it too. The small injections of humour from him, and indeed other characters too, work really well, I just hope they don't over develop it and go too far in future films. (Well, OK, maybe the whizzing about in a conveniently transparent pipe full of water was a bit too daft).

The little potted histories of some of the main characters and how they all meet for the first time is handled very cleverly and really adds depth to the story. Fabulous entertainment. Mr Abrams certainly knows his craft.

5.0 out of 5 stars STAR TREK DVD, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Star Trek [DVD] (DVD)
As a huge fan of the original series I approached this with caution. Never been a fan of the Captain Picard crew as the character balance/writing was sorely lacking the magic/humour from the Kirk/Spock era.
While viewing the film I recall thinking how good the writing was and how it captured the spirit, camaraderie and feel of the original series, although on a much grander scale.
I have to take my hat off to JJ Abrams, he has really nailed it with a direct hit in the bullseye. The visuals are amazing and the sets are awesome. The budget is all there for the viewer on the screen, it is a visual treat, coupled with the writing and great casting (all of the main crew members are superbly cast) it is a genuine blockbuster that continues the Star Trek legacy with honour. I look forward to more of the same please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek XI, 14 Oct. 2009
THIS YEAR'S IRON MAN
I guess there are different sorts of die hard fans. I'm of the type who has lapped up everything Star Trek for 40 years. The orginal series was great and so were most of the even numbered movies. TNG was a great ride but with each successive series thereafter, the ideas got less an less original - not that the shows weren't created by hugely talented people but how could they stay hot after hundreds of episodes? By the time we limped to Enterprise, the franchise needed a shot in the arm if it was going to survive. I was hugely sceptical about Abrams' version - Simon Pegg as Scotty, come on! I mean we love him but that definately felt like credibility was being stretched.

What a true delight it was then to see a true pumped up, rock 'n' roll version of Star Trek! Abrams and his gang did a clever thing, they created their very own Star Trek leaving the original series and everything we know fully intact sat happily in its own time line. Don't misunderstand though, this is the very same Kirk, Spock, McCoy and co. we all know and love, just sent down a slightly different path. So we can take a few liberties, mix things up a bit and generally have a ton of fun.

The story does what it needs to, the casting is great (especially Spock and McCoy), the effects are fantastic and Abrams manages to do character moments on the move so there's hardly time to take a breath - oh and Simon Pegg is great as Scotty!

Overall I got a real sense of joi de vivre, hence it being this year's Iron Man something that's been missing from Trek for a long time.

Maybe the best thing is, die hards and newbies alike will all find something to like.

Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film, disappointing box, 22 May 2010
Enough has probably been said about this movie. Some liked it, some didn't, I did. I have enjoyed most of the Star Trek movies. The latest excursions of the Next Generation crew make an exception, as they seemed to me desperate but futile attempts to create modern, action-packed movies that would re-invent and revive the Star Trek franchise. Where they failed, this movie succeeds. When I watched it in the theatre, I instantly remembered why I loved the old movies so much. While I missed some calm and thoughtful moments in JJ Abrams movie, I was well entertained, smiled a lot and liked how the new cast fills and expands on the old characters. Star Trek XI may not be a milestone, it won't be a cult movie and is definitely no modern classic, but while I usually give the big blockbuster movies a wide berth because I find them to be dull and mind-numbing, I enjoyed this one a lot and give it a well-deserved 4 stars.

This box, however, doesn't do the movie justice in my opinion. The video and audio quality is beyond reproach but the bonus material, let me exaggerate a bit, is as interesting and insightful as a commercial for toothpaste. This may, for many, be an irrelevant factor. For me, if I buy a 2-disc special edition, I want to see extensive behind-the-scenes material, special effects documentaries, interviews with cast and crew, etc. I watched the steelbook edition of Superman Returns lately - whatever good or bad you may think about that movie, the bonus material is a good example of what you could get with such a box. The extras of this Star Trek box, however, are not much more than the mandatory "oh it was so great working with , he was so " and a few circumstantial so-called documentaries. The bonus dvd will fail to enrich your experience of the movie for not much more than an hour. I for my part was deeply disappointed and wish I had bought the single disc. Which is why I rate the box only 3 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most excellent Star Trek Chronicle, 25 April 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Starfleet is made aware of a strange electrical storm, which turns out to be more than a storm. Oops it's a trap and George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth) acting captain for 12 minutes, must sacrifice himself to save his crew. On this day was born James Tiberius Kirk. Kirk who leads a rambunctious childhood must find and fulfill his destiny.

He will unite with other characters with which Trekkies can relate. For people new to the genre the story itself sustainable and does not require any previous knowledge of the story or the characters.

This is a great addition to the Star Trek tradition. They left no stone unturned all the major characters and the Gene Roddenberry feel is included. The CGI did not overwhelm the basic story. Parts my look like a power plant in Long Beach. Moreover, do we get Budweiser name recognition?

There will always be people that will ether not watch this presentation or dis the story as growing up with the original TV or movies have no intention of rewriting the story in their minds. That is too bad that they will miss out. However, I understand, as I cannot stand to watch anything past the first three Starwars presentation. However is suggest you give this presentation, a chance as you may find that it has all the same energy philosophy and dialog that made the original.

I've only seen the Blu-Ray version so I cannot compare versions however, the DVD was proud of itself being Blu-Ray and we have to sit through several minutes of coming attractions. The extras include the obligatory commentary by J. J. Abrams, Brian Burke, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, and Roberto Orci. There is also a BD-live option.

All the other extras can fill a review in themselves. Most of the added material is duplicated in other presentations but it is interesting to look at the shooting locations.

aka "Star Trek: The Future Begins" - Malaysia (English title)
aka "Star Trek Zero" - USA (working title)
aka "Star Trek: The IMAX Experience" - USA (IMAX version)
aka "Star Trek (IMAX DMR version)" - Hong Kong (English title) (IMAX version)
aka "Star Trek XI" - USA (working title)

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek lives again!, 24 Mar. 2010
JJ Abrams has achieved what even the most die-hard trekker must have considered to have been beyond even the capabilities of Victor Frankenstein; namely to electrify and restore to life the corpse that was Star Trek. After inflicting the horror that was Star Trek: Enterprise with its wooden captain and lifeless crew upon us even the most optimistic of fans must surely have considered the Trek franchise to have been consigned forever to the uttermost depths of the Klingon underworld.

I confess that I was such a fan and feared that the new film would fall at the first hurdle. How wrong was I! The film has cleared every obstacle and has lapped the course! A first rate thriller of a plot and a magnificent choice, in each and every instance, of actors to take up the roles of the original crew members. Ye gods! Chris Pine IS James T Kirk to the life! He captures the bombast and swagger that Shatner gave to the original version of the character and yet makes Kirk look and sound attractive and likeable. (No mean feat that!)

As to Zachary Quinto - if someone told me that he had been conceived and born on Vulcan I would believe them without doubt. (Even when acting as Sylar in Heroes the man looks suspiciously Vulcan - just note the eyebrows guys!) Simon Pegg and Karl Urban have clearly been possessed by the spirits of Scotty and Bones. I could go on - but will not do so -- they are each and every one faultless in the roles assigned to them. The plot daringly makes possible not only future films in the series but also story lines that will be able to diverge from those employed in the original TV series and its follow-on films. The extras on the second disc are a real treat to behold. The free comic book with its "prequel" to the story of the film was a nice addition and was fun to read. (For all fans of the late lamented Lt Commander Data: there is a delightful- and most satisfying- surprise to be found in the comic book.) This film will entertain old fans and create new ones both. Star Trek lives!

3.0 out of 5 stars Get rid of that ******* lens flare!, 18 Mar. 2010
D. Harrison (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
My wife bought this on Blu-ray a few weeks ago and I've now watched it three times, so felt it was ripe for a review.
As far as the film itself is concerned I really quite enjoyed it. I felt that the prequel idea was one that worked pretty well and it was interesting to see how the characters might have been in their formative Starfleet years. On the whole I think the film brought this off quite well, and some of the actors chosen to play the characters, most notably Zachary Quinto as Spock, really do look like they would have done many years before.
The story was for the most part convincing, although for me any tales involving time travel tend to get a bit confusing and require a large suspension of disbelief, hence the three viewings required to get my head around the machinations of the plot.
The most frustrating and annoying thing about the film for me, however, were the constant streaks and flashes of coloured light across the screen. At first I thought it might be a problem with the disc or even my Blu-ray player. Even though it's still new I updated the firmware on my player thinking that might solve the problem - it didn't. I checked loads of other Amazon reviews to see if anyone else suffered this problem - evidently not. My wife told me that a few of her friends on a Doctor Who forum had complained about this too but had not suggested an answer or solution.
Eventually I discovered what the problem was with a few well chosen Google searches - and there is no solution! These streaks and flashes of coloured light are apparently a phenomenon known as lens flare and, by all accounts, are put there deliberately by the film maker using a Knoll Lens Flare filter. Some people actually appear to think that this lens flare enhances the film. Well, sorry, but for me it is annoying in the extreme and completely detracts from my enjoyment of the film. I found someone posting on Twitter who had invented the Star Trek XI Lens Flare Drinking Game - I would have been comatose before the film was half way through if I played this game!
Without this I would have given a 4/5 rating, but the lens flare must reduce it to only 3/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-paced, stunning visuals, great one-liners..., 31 Dec. 2009
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Trek [DVD] (DVD)
...suspend disbelief at the plot though. "Star Trek" is very much a "go with the flow" film. There are some genuine raise-the-hairs-on-the-back-of-your-neck moments - both cinematically and dramatically but, thankfully not, sentimentally (the inclusion of the Leonard Nimoy Spock is, for me, surplus to requirements).

This "Star Trek" film goes right back to pilot episode "The Cage" for its source material. It cleverly manages to dovetail with the original TV series whilst demanding very little in the way of prior knowledge from newcomers. The film just about strikes the right balance between action and futurism without getting entangled in the political and philosophical aspects that all too often bogged-down "The Next Generation". Simon Pegg turns Scotty into a Red Dwarf/Hitchhikers Guide-type comedy turn to good effect. His Scottish accent's OK (better than James Doohan's anyway). Zoe Saldana as Uhura is also impressive in taking Nichelle Nicholls "spare part" character to centre-stage.

Not a perfect film, but with this and District 9 [DVD] [2009] we really have been spoiled for science fiction in 2009 - possibly the two finest movies from the genre this decade coming right at its very end.

4.5 stars rounded down to 4. Rounded DOWN due to the use of "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys in the soundtrack: look, if Kirk listened to classic 20th/21st century music he would listen to Model 500 or Underground Resistance NOT the Beasties. Even if he DID listen to the Beasties, he would have preferred something off Paul's Boutique or Check Your Head, not Ill Communication. Why is it that movie-makers' lack of musical knowledge so often lets them down?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really Star Trek?, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Star Trek [DVD] (DVD)
When I saw the film at the cinema I felt angry that so much that had been created and developed by previous writers, directors and actors had been jettisoned by the change in the time line. How could Leonard Nimoy have supported it? But after seeing the DVD at home where it was possible to evaluate the creativity of the new idea I changed my mind. Some have said that the plot is poor; but compared with the modern trend to have noise, multiple explosions and far too much CGI this film is a pleasant change. The actors actually act! There is drama. The director's use of anamorphic filming brings back the feeling that what you see is really happening. I was impressed. The problem for those of us who have loved Star Trek in all its manifestations is how to reconcile what will, if the new time line continues, be difficult to associate with the characters so well created and developed over the years. Kirk will be much the same(brash and quite unsuitable to be in charge in many cases!) but Spock? What are we to make of him now? And a universe without the wisdom of a fully developed civilization such as the Vulcans? Great new opportunities for writers, granted, but for those new to Star Trek so much will be missed that I have enjoyed over the years. But JJ Abrams has trod a difficult path between the old and the new and all in all he has succeeded in breathing new life into what, admittedly, could become a tired old series. The DVD is well worth having.