5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant performance
The performance by Tom Hardy of Stuart was absolutely outstanding. I read the book first, and was amazed at how Hardy brought Stuart to life with his incredible acting . A great talent to watch out for in the future.
Published on 21 Jun. 2010 by Ann Barrett

3.0 out of 5 stars stuart , a life backwards dvd.
a good film and very thought provoking.
to go backwards was good as it explained alot about why stuart"s life became what it did and explained why he was like he was.
a film that makes you think more to how people arrive at situactions in there lifes.
also the relationiship between alexander and stuart was stimulating as from very different backgrounds...
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by amanda mckinlay

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Wanted to see what else Benedict Cumberbatch has done so got this movie. Its a blinder of a film! It's incredibly funny with Cumberbatch and Hardy just bantering about. Such an odd looking duo but somehow they make it work. You get so caught up in their daily routines that when the film finally unravels and you are shown why Stuart is the way he is its both shocking and heartbreaking. The film addresses an issue about family and social institutions that no one wants to confront but I would urge to get this movie out from the local library, you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very touching and "illuminating" film, 9 Aug. 2013
C. R. Long "clive_long" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy team up for a great buddy movie. Now, I don't know any homeless people apart from saying an embarrassed hello to the guy who sits outside Tescos and (very) occasionally offering to buy him a sandwich. However, I felt completely convinced by Tom Hardy's portrayal of Stuart as a "gentleman philosopher". I guess much ( some?) of Stuart's actual behaviour was less than savoury - as was portrayed in some scenes in the film. "Less than savoury" is a very twee way of describing some of the later scenes. I guess Alexander Masters (the author) and the film had some honesty and objectivity in recording Stuart's "philosophy of life". Stuart came across as a funny person who had to expend vast amounts of effort, or alcohol, to keep in check the rage about the abuse he had suffered. I really want to believe that it was Stuart's idea to tell the story of his life backwards so this increased the tension; as he said the story would be "like a whodunnit" ?? There were lots of lovely scenes such as when Stuart takes Alexander back to where he is staying, "Laurel Drive".

So .. yes, a "makes you think" film but although ultimately sad, it is funny and a story of a chance meeting and an unlikely friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly told story, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I think the "I love it" the 5 stars imply is an oxymoron - you cannot "love" this film. It is depressing, it makes you cry, it shows the underbelly of society. And at the same time it is a celebration of a very special life, and it leaves you a bit overwhelmed. The casting is fantastic. Benedict Cumberbach plays himself very well. But Tom Hardy is a revelation. He's simply amazing. What a great actor. I will never look at a homeless person the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like benedict cumberbatch obviously what woman wouldn't love these guys, 27 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
being a huge tom hardy fan I saw this on imdb and thought ok, I like benedict cumberbatch obviously what woman wouldn't love these guys,and I got to say I was moved,tom hardy was so amazing yes left me crying like a baby. his acting here was amazing, the story itself heartbreaking,childhood moulds us into who we become and no matter how much stuart tried to escape his awful awful childhood,he couldn't,seriously watch this its amazing ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Film and Performances, 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
What can I say? This is a gem of a film! I bought the DVD on a whim, well on the strength of being a big fan of Tom Hardy as I've been watching most of his films and wanted to see the range of roles he has played. To describe this film in one word, "WOW"! The film had me captivated from start to finish, understanding how Stuart's life path came to be. The idea of pursuing his life story backwards was brilliant. Despite all the bad he caused in his life, you couldn't help but to be on his side. He seemed to be a man with a big heart, but a very misunderstood person with a lot to give, but in the process of his life let down by society and (certain members of) his family. As I watched the film, it made me laugh, it made me feel sick (to see/hear what Stuart had been through) and by the end, crying my eyes out. Such a tragedy when a life is cut short as it was.

On reflection, I highly recommend "Stuart A Life Backwards" - it has everything! It will make you laugh and it will even make those tough nuts out there, shed a tear. Well Done to Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch....

NB: I have never read the book and knew nothing of it, prior to buying the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different kind of buddy comedy, 20 May 2013
R. Samson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I had no idea what to expect going into this movie beyond the premise of 'author writes a book about a homeless man'. I don't even think I knew it was a true story either.

The relationship between the two lead characters, Alexander Masters (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Stuart Shorter (Tom Hardy), is the best part of the movie. It's really great to see two people from completely different worlds come together and become, pretty much, best friends. And even better is that we get to see it happen on screen as the characters spend time together. There are some humorous and touching moments in this movie, but there are also a lot of dark moments that come out as Stuart shares his past with Alexander to try to help explain how he became the man he is today.

Both Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy deliver brilliant performances in their roles, and I don't think the movie would've worked half as well without them.

I wholly reccommend this movie.

Also, the DVD comes with extras in the form of interviews of some of the actors who worked on the movie, along with Alexander Masters himself. Great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
After reading the book (which you should also read if you haven't done so) I came across this on Amazon and ordered it immediately. I was worried about the adaptation doing the book justice and I needn't have worried. Tom Hardy was breathtaking as Stuart, and Benedict Cumberbatch was also excellent as Alexander.

I was in tears within minutes and at several points watching this. The story has an affect on you and it stays with you. The acting is superb and the whole adaptation is so well done, with just the right mix of moments to make you laugh and think.

If you watch one thing this year - make it this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant performances, 28 Jun. 2013
Fiona Millar "cookiemum" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
The strength of this film lies in the fantastic performances given by the two leads, Cumberbatch and Hardy. It's impossible to watch this film without totally forgetting that you are watching actors, they inhabit their roles so completely. I love Cumberbatch in anything he does, but Hardy especially is breathtaking to watch as Stuart, telling his story backwards - he goes from bumblingly drunk and comedic to genuinely frightening with ease, and does an amazing job of portraying the tortured life of Stuart. A film which is funny, sad, shocking, absorbing and feels very genuine - if you haven't seen this film, definitely buy it and watch it. If you have seen it, buy it and watch it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life in motion..., 24 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Having worked in hostels and with homeless people for the majority of my career, I can identify with, and bring to mind, (sadly) too many Stuarts - this portrayal was heart wrenchingly pitch perfect!

Neither romanticized, nor judgemental this film encapsulates an all too true reality overlooked by most of us in our every day lives.

Acted with realism, and written in a pithy, punchy manner this film is One of the best (if not THE best) I have seen in quite some time.

After seeing the film I have immediately bought the book, and every one of the housing workers on my Christmas list (several), will receive both film, and book this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Hardy - star quality, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I ordered this film purely on the grounds that both Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch were in it. Living in Australia, I knew nothing about the story at all.
What a fantastic treat this turned out to be! Tom Hardy is the best actor of his generation and both he and Benedict Cumberbatch will surely go on to greater heights as Britains best character actors... I couldn't fault either performance and found myself holdng my breath as Stuart's story was slowly revealed. I can thoroughly recommend this film - why don't these types of movies get a general release instead of the rubbish we are subjected to these days... :))

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007]
Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007] by David Attwood (DVD - 2008)