• Terra

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 October 2008
It's taken me a while to fully appreciate this album. At first I found it slightly dull melodically, with too few ballads of the same emotive power of her much-loved 'O gente da minha terra'. But it's grown on me, and those songs that have the sad beauty typical of fado music have thoroughly eclipsed the few that don't do it for me. Ten successful tracks out of 14 is pretty good value for money, I reckon.

Technically, it's excellent: Mariza's voice is as pitch-perfect, controlled and expressive as ever, the musicianship and production are superb, and it's more diverse than her previous albums, with some laidback trumpet and piano, occasional flamenco influence, and a Cape Verde-style song (featuring Tito Paris, who, although a man, sounds uncannily like his compatriot Cesaria Evora, but with an attractive rasp). This diversity has cleverly avoided the danger of 'sameyness' inherent in music that conforms to a certain style, but isn't extreme enough to lose her fan base. It's a classy album, and a cut above the rest.
on 29 November 2009
What a voice. Agile and full of angst. The entire CD is wonderfully cathartic. At the same time, uplifting. If you buy this one and have a listen, I guarantee you'll be back to buy her back catalogue. Fado is Portugals best kept musical secret and has a deserved place in the musical panoply. Go on, give it a go - prefereably with a nice strong drink of your choice in hand and in front of an open fire with your partner....;-)
on 16 July 2008
More beautiful Fado music by the talented Portuguese singer. This is up there with the best of her other albums and is highly recommended. Gets you in the traditional Portuguese state of mind and reminds me of sitting in an old restaurant abroad soaking up the native culture.
on 16 July 2008
Let me begin by saying, I don't like Mariza's version of "Alfama". As a friend of Amalia Rodrigues and Maria da Fé, I don't like to hear anyone sing Alfama. That said, this new album by Mariza is a fado lover's dream.
Every syllable deliciously prounounced. I first heard "Ja me deixou" last year at Maria's place Senhor Vinho performed by Beatriz de Conceicao, one of the finest fadistas to draw breath, and Mariza equals her. "As guitarras" truly brings a lump to the throat, and "Pequenhas verdade" adds
a new meaning to class. I could go on and on, folks....
JUST BUY THE ALBUM!!!!
on 13 August 2009
I was so impressed the first time I listened to this very talented lady, I jumped straight on the net and ordered it from Amazon. She has such a lyrical voice and full of passion. Now the next step is to follow the lyrics and understand what she is singing about. But then again, who cares. The lovely voice says it all!
on 13 January 2014
A wonderful voice, great music , should be heard more wildly. FANTASTIC. truly great mood music it will take you to far of places.
on 30 October 2009
I love her and I liked this album a lot, but I prefer Concerto em Lisboa. Very good featured songs!
on 21 August 2015
Mariza reigns supreme. Her emotional singing cannot be bettered,
Can't stop listening. Perfect. Still wrapped when delivered.
on 8 December 2008
I had not heard of Mariza a year ago, but when we moved to Portugal we were given the Transparente Cd.... it KNOCKED ME OUT

unbelievable voice ~ cool ennunciation ~ amazing guitar

we were then fortunate to see Mariza in concert in a 400 year old quadrangle at Coimbra University, under the stars on a July night

TOTAL MAGIC

(and NO CD's 't' shirts popcorn for sale ANYWHERE... Great .. an artist who is truly about her Music ~ not Merchandising...!)

Mariza only spoke Portuges but did so slowly, thoughtfully, so we understood a lot of her words

the new album Terra is simpler and more muted than Transparente, but is still a MUST