4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, but know what to expect.
If you're thinking of buying the pogo, you should know beforehand exactly what you're getting.

Published on 6 Dec 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars An Attempt At Writing A Realistic Review
Hi all,

I will write about a well-established problem with this gadget's operation, specifically the inconsistent image quality and the dreaded streaking most owners experience at some point. I'd like to help others get rid of this frustrating problem too.

Published on 17 May 2011 by motomonk

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, but know what to expect., 6 Dec 2008
This review is from: Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology (Electronics)

As it currently stands, the printer is more of a fun/arty toy. I have a polaroid izone, which was great fun when I was able to get film for it, and if you've ever owned one then you'll already have an idea of what to expect. The pictures aren't large (2x3 inches) but I really like that, they'd be a perfect size to keep in a wallet if you wanted. The sticky back is handy, and I've found that it won't peel paint from walls when removed.
The cost of paper means each picture should average between 20p and 30p, the cheapest I've found works out to 21.4p each.

The printer itself is larger than I expected at roughly 120 x 71 x 23mm, but that's still a very manageable size.

You shouldn't buy the Pogo if you want professional quality prints; the colours aren't totally accurate (in my experience, dark red/brown may come out a little pink-ish and in most cases colours won't be as vivid as the original) and although I don't know the exact DPI equivalent, it's certainly not going to rival a photo printer.

Depending on why you buy it, however, these points may not actually count against. The quality of Polaroid photos was always a little different anyway, that was the cost of immediate images and this printer is no different. I actually like the colours being a little abnormal, it seems more authentic.

Bare in mind that since the colour reproduction is reliant upon the paper rather than the printer, there's always the possibility that Polaroid will bring out new paper and maybe even firmware updates to complement it, though that's entirely speculation.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Attempt At Writing A Realistic Review, 17 May 2011
Hi all,

So I got some good news on this. I've received my PoGo a couple of days ago and have been working on it to get rid of the unacceptable amount of streaking I suffered from the second or third print on.

Examining, testing, printing test pics, etc. I have finally come to realize the method suggested in the manual to clean the printing head/heat plate does not quite work the way it should. The fine dust stays in, being not a dust friendly design it messes up the printing performance. The streaking is almost always about the fine dust particles gathered on the heat plate, not about the paper however old they happen to be.

The trouble is a simple design fault with the springy pressure plate underneath the lid. It's supposed to apply enough pressure on the paper to both print clean pictures and to clean the heat plate with the blue lead paper that comes in each paper stack. Basically it neither quite covers the whole width of the paper nor applies enough pressure on the papers or the blue cleaning/calibrating cardboard to perform the cleaning action.

I have found a consistent solution for this that worked perfectly for me:

Always keep the blue cardboard calibration/cleaning cardboards when you open a satchel of papers. Turn the printer on. Open the lid, empty the paper bed, slide the blue paper towards the slot as suggested in the manual. Don't close the lid but hold the little switch on the opposite corner down that tells PoGo the lid is closed. The roller will start working with the lid open and you'll see it begin ejecting the blue paper through the gate. While its pushing the blue paper out gently rub over it with your finger in a left-right-left-right motion along the inside wall above the roller till the paper gets ejected fully. This is to apply some extra pressure so that the fine dust particles collected over the plate do get stuck on the paper, cleaning it. Then place the papers back and put a couple of (two or three) blue papers on top of the stack to increase the thickness of the stack, therefore applying some more pressure via the springy plate at all times. If the streaking is heavy (you got too much dust in the slot) do it more than once before printing anything.

As a final note, the top and bottom edges of the paper that are not covered by the breadth of the springy pressure plate inside are more prone to streaking so if you get those try a little bit harder with the manually assisted cleaning process.

And so, ideally, whenever you get a streaky print first go with the cleaning process with a ZINC paper with the bottom facing up and then a second run with the blue calibration/cleaning cardboard. And use a couple of blue sheets on top of your paper stack at all times when you insert paper.

I know it sounds like a hassle but it doesn't take more than another 60 secs to make sure the next print gets out properly saturated, vibrant and streaking free. And although at varied intensities this is probably a design problem all units will suffer from at some point. Replacing the unit won't make too much of a difference I'd guess.

Once you accept this little bump, the PoGo is quite fun and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit when it works the way it should! : )

Cheers,
N

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit, 30 Sep 2008
I ordered one of these having played with a friend's. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews here, but I'd seen one in the flesh, as it were, so was pretty sure it'd be OK. As often happens I found a lot of the negative comments to be wrong or not to be deal breakers (for me).

I've been really impressed with the Pogo so far, and my daughter's been having a great time with it. It's really easy to send photos from my mobile, and the prints come out very quickly. Setting it up was pretty seamless (though it took me a little time to work out which way the paper went in). Once set up you can take the Pogo anywhere and get near instant prints.

My daughter now has photos stuck all over her things. Her generation are more used to seeing photos on PC screens so the prints are a real novelty for her.

The packaging is pretty nice. Looks like Polaroid have been following Apple's example here. (Seems superficial to mention this, but it helps make a good first impression.)

One suggestion I'd make is for the photo paper to have a break on the backing to make it easier to remove it when you want to stick the photo somewhere. (Maybe I just find it tricky because I bite my nails!)

As for the criticisms, the one I'd agree with is: why does it have to come with a non-standard power adaptor? I've not marked it down for this since it seems to be true of all digital cameras in the market (or at least the ones I've seen) so it would be unfair to single the Pogo out. Can't someone legislate to enforce a standard charger?

So apart from that non-dealbreaker, I can definitely recommend the Pogo as a fun gift for anyone who has kids, or is young at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to shake it!, 30 Sep 2008
I've just got my second pogo (bought the bundle with paper as I know how much you get through once you start) as I had to relinquish my first one to my niece! It's amazing how useful this little gadget is - my niece has been using it for school projects (much cheaper than one of those photobooks you can make online)and I have now used it to put photos on shoe boxes, on a card for my gran (me in Florence)and even on the dog's bed. It's as much fun as the old instamatics and if you're a dab hand with your mobile phone cam, you get good quality results. Useful note for those not happy with print quality - make sure you always run the blue sheet (in the media pack) through first, it does something to clean the unit I think, I forgot once and noticed a drop in quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun little printer, 3 July 2008
Mr. S. L. Smith (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
My pogo arrived today and I'm very pleased with it. I had read a few early reviews from various sited that said that colours were either washed out or not a true representation of the actual image so I didn't have very high expectations of it. The prints that I have done so far either meet or exceed my expectations of it, some have turned out very close to the original shot, others are sometimes slightly too yellow or red in places. If you buy this printer as a modern replacement for the original Polaroid instant cameras then you won't be disappointed as they too were never renowned for their photo quality. It's a neat little printer that does what it's intended for well, having fun with instant prints. If you are wanting something that gives the same quality prints as a regular photo printer then look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your research., 28 Jun 2009
This is such an amazing little printer, but if you are looking for cheap (yet good quality) photos then this is probably not for you.

At the time of this review, the paper works out at about 18-20p a print, even if you're buying a smaller pack. That may be more expensive than other printers but bear in mind that you will never have to buy ink as the paper is activated by heat. Each sheet also has an adhesive back so your photos can even become stickers.

The instructions included aren't that clear but there are video demos on youtube. It is easy to print from your Mac or PC, mobile phone and camera and the details of compatibility can be found on Polaroid's website, along with other tips. Your camera will need Pictbridge (my Canon Ixus works fine), otherwise you can print via Bluetooth so anything capable of sending jpeg images over Bluetooth should work with this printer.

The photos are not that high quality. There are discrepancies in colour and contrast and even when printing two of the same photo there are differences between them but I wouldn't say this lets the PoGo down but is in keeping with the traditional characteristics of Polaroid pictures.

I would definitely recommend this printer to anyone who wants to print photos on the go and doesn't mind the size and quality of the photos. It might be worth getting a case and extra battery if you're planning to take it out a lot but it will print while charging so you can just leave it plugged in at home.
As long as you're familiar with it's compatibility and limitations then there's not much else that can go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Polaroid!, 1 Oct 2008
I've only had my PoGo for a few days, but I'm loving it already!

So far, I've printed out loads of fun pics taken at parties with friends. Photos that would have otherwise stayed buried on my camera memory stick are now seeing the light of day and brightening up my desk at work.

I had no trouble linking up to my Canon camera and I was pleasantly surprised at the great quality of the photos when they were printed. The photos also came out dry to the touch, so I didn't have to worry about smearing.

Thank you Polaroid! I'm very impressed with my new toy and can't wait to try it out with my camera-phone in the pub tomorrow night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Polaroid PoGo Printer, 2 Sep 2008
Ms. E. Muleviciute (UK) - See all my reviews
I have bought my Polaroid PoGo a month ago and was amazed what a good device that is. My phone (with 5 megapixel camera), works well with the printer - I am really pleased with picture quality.
It is a great fun to have PoGo - I took it with me when I went on a city break and made many pics/stickers that I used as postcards and sent to my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little portable gadget!!!, 16 Sep 2010
This little polaroid is simply superb!!! I received it 5 days after buying and it was packaged well! Everything was there and even shrink wrapped. The instructions are simple and easy to understand. It also comes with the manufacturer's warranty, a UK plug plus a european/western plug if you want to bring it with you while travelling which is convenient. It's easy to set up really.... First of all you connect the charger to the printer and wait a couple of minutes then you will see an orange blinking light right next to the power button. That means its charging already and even though it's still charging, you can use it already! So I turned the PoGo on, got my mobile phone, searched for the printer using bluetooth and paired it together! Take note that the code for this printer will always be 6000 to be able to pair it with your phone and also this printer is not, I repeat, is NOT compatible with any iPhone generation!!! Apple just didn't create a bluetooth in their device for this kind of things which sucks I know cause a lot of you are probably modern now therefore you'd own an iPhone but I'm afraid it is not compatible with the Polaroid Pogo Printer. I've tried it with a Samsung, Nokia, LG and Sony Ericsson phones and I can assure you, it really works! Anyways after pairing it together, I then opened the packet of Zink papers (already included with the printer) which contains 10 sheets plus a blue card. Now this card is VERY important as the printer won't print anything without it! Now you have to put it with the Black print and barcode facing down then put the 10 sheets of zink papers with the shiny part facing the mirror that can be seen when the printer is opened. After a few seconds you will hear a whirring sound but do not panic because you'll see that the blue sheet is coming out which means that the printer is now ready to use. So I then chose a picture, sent it to my Pogo through bluetooth and Voila! The photo started to come out. It takes less than a minute for the printer to accept the image and print it. When the picture came out, It wasn't professional looking but hey, its' quality is great enough for a compact little printer like that and for it's price, I'm telling you, It's worth it :) I now have two black and one red Polaroid Pogo Printer. By the way, even though it says on the Zink Papers that they're expired, they can still be used and it still works. The Manufacturers just put an expiry date on it because it's meant to be consumable but I have 140 sheets of zink paper which were expired last 2008 but they still work just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars pogo fun, 24 Nov 2009
Mr. Gary Taylor "Gaz t" (Daventry UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this printer a few weeks ago and they are great fun they ideal for printing photos from your mobile phone or camera while the picture quality is not fantastic you can mess about with the photos on your phone etc to get some really good results.I took mine to the local pub where there was a party i took some photos on my SE c905 phone and printed them off within 10 mins half the pub wanted one.Great little gadget and very reasonable price ideal for xmas presents.I have since bought 4 more as gifts