Format: Audio CDChange

on 3 August 2009
I waited until this version of the CD was released before I decided to purchase it. I had listened to the album over & over on the band's official site & also at a friend's place (who introduced me to this band) though he had the UK special edition with bonus tracks, though no 'Second Chance' which I had fallen in love with via the radio!

I've heard the first two albums which are also very good, though less polished & produced as this, yet have a lot of quality & perhaps lays the roots to this latest works. I saw Shinedown at Download 2009 & though the set was short they were truly amazing & left me craving more!... I believe this band is going places!

I cannot praise this band and more precisely this album, more highly. It has that rare quality of being consistantly good right the way through as every single track has it's merits. Ranging from the butt-kicking 'Sound of Madness' (title track), 'Devour', 'Cry For Help' & 'Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide' to the touchingly beautiful & melodic 'The Crow & The Buttefly' & not forgetting the biopic 'What A Shame' and the classic power-ballard 'Breaking Inside' which is unbelievabley heartfelt & left me feeling there was someone out there who understood the pain of personal loss & surviving it -this album is diverse on many levels. 'Second Chance' is as touching & personal to me as it is just a damn good piece of modern pop-rock! It is bitter & anguished and at other times conveys a reflective, tender & melancholic quality.

Strong lyrics, powerful (yet harmonic) vocals & riff-laden -Engrossing in the extreme 'The Sound of Madness' is a modern masterpiece (I do not use such a term often). If you love classic or hard rock, metal, grunge, punk, folk or even pop then 'The Sound Of Madness' may be for you as it transgresses several genres with a contemporary slant & left me feeling I'd been through a deep & emotional musical journey. I had to listen to it again straight away!...
on 2 March 2009
this album is one of the finest rock albums in recent years
this band is pretty much unknown in the u.k and that is a massive shame
my main problem with the uk release of this album is the fact that they have taken off second chance, the best power ballad i have heard for a long time.
so if you like nickelback and seether, this band are an essential buy
22 comments14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2009
Having heard Shinedown on Rock Radio - decided to buy it to see if the rest of the albums matches up to the single. Was pleasantly surprised and really liked their meaty rock sound. Tuneful melodies and good lyrics mixed with a rounded voice is turning this album into a new favourite.
on 17 May 2009
A fantastic album without a single bad track. Fans of Alterbridge and Godsmack will thoroughly enjoy this album. This album is currently tying as my album purchase of the year.
on 14 October 2009
I was drawn to this album from seeing the Video for "The Sound of Madness". I think its fair to say that Shinedown are one of the few bands today playing anything close to Hard Rock. There are traces of Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith and Nickleback as well as all the classic hard rock riffs, techniques and cliches. I don't mean that in a negative sense whatsoever - it's great to hear a new take on the genre. These influences seem to mix well with their more modern, grungy and at times thrashy metal sound. It results in a default sound that gives you plenty to get your teeth into. It's warm, deep, heavy and swaggering. Just like Hard Rock should be.

The band seems to have the ability to deploy these skills even on soaring power ballads and touching slow numbers. I am particularly impressed with Brent Smith's vocals - they are powerful and filled with emotion. His range is also impressive, but it is the general tone of his voice that makes him an impressive Rock Vocalist. The lyrics themselves, are plucky, often laced with humour and (to me at least) truly meaningful in their subject matter. I beleive Barry Kerch's drumming also deserves a mention - there is a fresh and expressive quality to the drumming while at all times securely bolted to the beat - he seems to be a drummer who remembers that his primary function is to keep time and beat - but it's always done in an interesting way.

In summary, its a full-featured Hard Rock or melodic Metal album. All tracks have a sense of gravity and taste. Great vocals & lyrics and a fresh, expressive but tight performance. I'm very impressed and I hope they continue to grow in popularity, play the fame game while staying true to their roots. Perhpas then they may be the next big Hard Rock superstarts the world is waiting for!
on 8 July 2008
Anyone already familiar with Shinedown will realise the talent lead singer Brent Smith has, and he uses it to the full degree in this stunning album.

They say they wanted it to be harder and their previous albums, but that hasn't affected the creativity and quality of the band. They haven't strayed too far from what made them great in their first two albums, they still have that spine of Shinedown, but there's an extra edge which appears from a quicker tempo and heavy rhythem, brilliantly constructed around non-typical and inventive lyrics.

From the truely upbeat Devour and Cry For Help, to the more progressive What A Shame and Breaking Inside, this is as complete an album as I've ever heard. I've recommended several friends to Shinedown, and every single one has liked them. They need to seriosuly look at the UK as there's a serious market for them!

Awesome!
on 16 May 2009
Absolutely brilliant album. There are very few albums that you love almost every song the first time you hear them, this is one of those few. And those that you don't immediately love grow on you very quickly. Very shocked that they took 'Second chance' off of the album, which is a brilliant song. But 'sound of madness' and 'if you only knew' more than make up for it. Would recommend anybody, no matter what type of music you are into, to buy this album.
on 11 November 2013
I have to be honest in saying I only bought this, and every other Shinedown CD I could lay
My hands on as me and my son were going to see them in concert supporting Alter Bridge . I haven't stopped playing them since. Each
Track is absolutely superb. Moreover, buy the
Live album , Somewhere in the Stratosphere, to get a feel for them live, my advice ... Just buy it
on 17 November 2012
"Sounds of Madness" by Shinedown contain natural and heartfelt tracks that run the gamut from love with songs such as "If You Only Knew" and resilience: i.e. "Second Chance." I also like "Call Me", "Energy", and "Sin With A Grin". "Sounds of Madness" by Shinedown is a great cd for those who like listening to hard rock and/or at least five songs by Shinedown.
on 4 October 2009
I bought this CD ages ago but I'm just listening to it after a short break away from rock music...OH MY GOODNESS.

If you visit this page, DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT THIS ITEM! When I first bought the CD I was worried that the band were sounding more mainstream and their stuff seemed quite 'produced' and not as 'raw' as their old stuff. Bands change and this one is no different, but dang, they rule.

Their real strength lies in other band's weaknesses:

1) They actually have lyrics that mean something

2) They have the science of song writing perfectly formulated, from intro to outro. They build songs gradually towards a chorus, a true climax. Each chorus is rip roaring and will haunt your lips from the moment the noises tease your ears.

Shinedown are also incredible live. :D