5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic rock album
this album is one of the finest rock albums in recent years
this band is pretty much unknown in the u.k and that is a massive shame
my main problem with the uk release of this album is the fact that they have taken off second chance, the best power ballad i have heard for a long time.
so if you like nickelback and seether, this band are an essential buy
Published on 2 Mar 2009 by zzemm

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I bought this album on hearing the typically radio friendly courtesy ballad ( track 3) and also hearing the first 2 opening tracks in a friends car. So I thought I was getting a solid heavy rock album from a band that maybe felt the pressure of throwing a ballad in to boost sales. Nope. What I got was an album
Full of ballads that had the odd heavy rock track here...
Published on 16 May 2011 by Jonnymac

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic rock album, 2 Mar 2009
this album is one of the finest rock albums in recent years
this band is pretty much unknown in the u.k and that is a massive shame
so if you like nickelback and seether, this band are an essential buy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound Of Awesomeness!, 3 Aug 2009
Mr. P. J. Sheehan "Philmaka" (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
I waited until this version of the CD was released before I decided to purchase it. I had listened to the album over & over on the band's official site & also at a friend's place (who introduced me to this band) though he had the UK special edition with bonus tracks, though no 'Second Chance' which I had fallen in love with via the radio!

I've heard the first two albums which are also very good, though less polished & produced as this, yet have a lot of quality & perhaps lays the roots to this latest works. I saw Shinedown at Download 2009 & though the set was short they were truly amazing & left me craving more!... I believe this band is going places!

I cannot praise this band and more precisely this album, more highly. It has that rare quality of being consistantly good right the way through as every single track has it's merits. Ranging from the butt-kicking 'Sound of Madness' (title track), 'Devour', 'Cry For Help' & 'Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide' to the touchingly beautiful & melodic 'The Crow & The Buttefly' & not forgetting the biopic 'What A Shame' and the classic power-ballard 'Breaking Inside' which is unbelievabley heartfelt & left me feeling there was someone out there who understood the pain of personal loss & surviving it -this album is diverse on many levels. 'Second Chance' is as touching & personal to me as it is just a damn good piece of modern pop-rock! It is bitter & anguished and at other times conveys a reflective, tender & melancholic quality.

Strong lyrics, powerful (yet harmonic) vocals & riff-laden -Engrossing in the extreme 'The Sound of Madness' is a modern masterpiece (I do not use such a term often). If you love classic or hard rock, metal, grunge, punk, folk or even pop then 'The Sound Of Madness' may be for you as it transgresses several genres with a contemporary slant & left me feeling I'd been through a deep & emotional musical journey. I had to listen to it again straight away!...

5.0 out of 5 stars Madness.., 8 July 2008
Simon Pittman "klezzie" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
Anyone already familiar with Shinedown will realise the talent lead singer Brent Smith has, and he uses it to the full degree in this stunning album.

They say they wanted it to be harder and their previous albums, but that hasn't affected the creativity and quality of the band. They haven't strayed too far from what made them great in their first two albums, they still have that spine of Shinedown, but there's an extra edge which appears from a quicker tempo and heavy rhythem, brilliantly constructed around non-typical and inventive lyrics.

From the truely upbeat Devour and Cry For Help, to the more progressive What A Shame and Breaking Inside, this is as complete an album as I've ever heard. I've recommended several friends to Shinedown, and every single one has liked them. They need to seriosuly look at the UK as there's a serious market for them!

Awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard on the radio - bought the album, 15 Jun 2009
J. Turner "jenturner18" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
Having heard Shinedown on Rock Radio - decided to buy it to see if the rest of the albums matches up to the single. Was pleasantly surprised and really liked their meaty rock sound. Tuneful melodies and good lyrics mixed with a rounded voice is turning this album into a new favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of Madness - Delectable, 17 May 2009
A fantastic album without a single bad track. Fans of Alterbridge and Godsmack will thoroughly enjoy this album. This album is currently tying as my album purchase of the year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cd, 31 May 2009
Bought this cd thinking it would be a fair one. Turned out to be a good cd which I recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shinedown review, 13 May 2009
Sound of Madness (UK Bonus Edition)

Great mixture of heavy rock head blasters and soulful guitar melodies. Really love: "Breaking Inside" a must for all those feeling they are losers in love and life, and the heart wrenching: "Call Me", a must listen for all those who have walked away from love, in order to save themselves. Lead vocals are powerful and clear, if you like Nickleback, you'll love Shinedown. Jayney Robinson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb entertainmemt, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
I have to be honest in saying I only bought this, and every other Shinedown CD I could lay
My hands on as me and my son were going to see them in concert supporting Alter Bridge . I haven't stopped playing them since. Each
Track is absolutely superb. Moreover, buy the
Live album , Somewhere in the Stratosphere, to get a feel for them live, my advice ... Just buy it

4.0 out of 5 stars Musical Gladness, 17 Nov 2012
"Sounds of Madness" by Shinedown contain natural and heartfelt tracks that run the gamut from love with songs such as "If You Only Knew" and resilience: i.e. "Second Chance." I also like "Call Me", "Energy", and "Sin With A Grin". "Sounds of Madness" by Shinedown is a great cd for those who like listening to hard rock and/or at least five songs by Shinedown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediately loved it, 16 May 2009
Absolutely brilliant album. There are very few albums that you love almost every song the first time you hear them, this is one of those few. And those that you don't immediately love grow on you very quickly. Very shocked that they took 'Second chance' off of the album, which is a brilliant song. But 'sound of madness' and 'if you only knew' more than make up for it. Would recommend anybody, no matter what type of music you are into, to buy this album.

ARRAY(0xad2bbc6c)

The Sound Of Madness
The Sound Of Madness by Shinedown (Audio CD - 2009)