5.0 out of 5 stars Discreet, efficient protection
Anti-viral programs are very hard to evaluate unless you're attacked and the attack is blocked. There's always the chance that you get attacked and the AV program doesn't see anything, in which case, how do you know (unless it is a really malicious attack)?

Published on 21 July 2009 by R. Stevens

3.0 out of 5 stars AVG users beware
Published on 18 Sep 2008 by I don't have a pen name

3.0 out of 5 stars AVG users beware, 18 Sep 2008
I don't have a pen name "the_metro_area" (West London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd hoped that this product would simply replace AVG which I've been using for a few years now however it appears that there are some clashes with these two products which I found out while trying to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, 3-Desktop, 1 year Subscription (PC) (see lengthy review). Similarly with this product installation has rendered my system unstable and I have had to recover in safe mode and uninstall. More technically minded people have advised that uninstalling AVG doesn't completely remove it from the system. One could argue from two points on this, either AVG is at fault for not removing itself properly, or Kaspersky is at fault for clashing with a widely used antivirus. I'm sure I can be shot down for either of these but I'm just Joe Public who thinks you should be able to install something and it work correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discreet, efficient protection, 21 July 2009
R. Stevens (Woking) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I've had Kaspersky 2009 installed on my PC for several months now and so far nothing to report. I've received a few infected emails, which Kaspersky cleaned efficiently, and a few other minor threats have been detected, but there have been no major challenges. Then again, I'm a bit of a cautious bunny, believing the best antivirus is the one that keeps your finger off of the left mouse button.

So, what else can I tell you about Kaspersky? Well, I've previously run Norton, McAfee and Avast over the years and I have to admit that Kaspersky is the most discrete of them all. Database update notifications are almost shy in announcing themselves and most of the time you wouldn't know it is even running. There are occasional progress bars when running unknown executables, making sure they're safe, but this doesn't happen often and it is more reassuring than annoying.

Like most antiviral programs these days, Kaspersky does not just offer antivirus protection, but protection against spyware, phishing, malware websites, checks your system for exploitable vulnerabilities and pretty much everything else that you would consider essential protection.

One of the big problems I experienced with previous versions of Norton, and the reason I started avoiding it like the plague, was that it would take over your PC, eating up all available resources and slowing networks to a crawl. I've heard that this year's Norton has finally realised that we buy PCs to run programs other than the anti-virus and leaves some CPU to other applications, so a free trial might be worthwhile to offset my previous bad experiences. I found McAfee and Avast (a freeware program) were not too bad in terms of slowing down the PC, though Avast felt about 10% slower than McAfee. As for Kaspersky, I did notice some degradation of performance at first, but since then a couple of updates have rendered it unnoticeable, on a par with McAfee, if not better.

I left McAfee because they had formed a love affair with my bank card. It started when, last year, they just helped themselves to the annual subscription fee without asking, a couple of months in advance. Seems they had initiated an automatic renewal system which they subscribe you to automatically and you need to jump through hoops to unsubscribe from. I found this practice despicable and have now vetoed their product. I find the fact that they can opt you into such a program without your consent and then make it a chore for you to opt out of pushes the limits of legality.

Anyway, I'm rambling, back to Kaspersky. I did have one problem, just after the first install, where some sort of registry error led to system crashes. I had to uninstall and then re-install to fix it, but since then I've had no problems.

My remaining point could be seen as a plus or minus depending upon what sort of user you are. There are not many configuration options available for the program. For non-technical PC users, who want to keep things simple, this is a bonus, the interface is uncomplicated and fairly straightforward. However, if you're an experienced user who wants to be able to tweak their protection in all sorts of different ways, you'll be pretty disappointed I expect.

So, in the end I find Kaspersky to be a pretty good antivirus, providing an effective shield against most threats to your PC. It is discrete, both in terms of notifications and system resource usage, which I personally appreciate a lot. And on top of it all you get three licenses to install across three different PCs (now becoming a common, but good, practice), with each license running from its own installation date (not the date of the first license installed).

A recommendable product, though it is always worth downloading a free trial before you make a final decision. But, as my previous experience with McAfee revealed, bad surprises are not just limited to the running of the software. My Kaspersky renewal is not due for a few more months yet, so I'll have to come back to you on that one.

I'm giving it 5 stars, not because I consider it a superior product, but simply due to the fact that I have nothing to say against it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conflict with AVG 8 ?, 28 July 2008
Mr. S. Gregory "bigsg5" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is recommended not to have more than 1 virus scanner installed on each PC. You wont be double protected if you have 2 they will just end up conflicting with each other and you will find you wont be fully protected.
So before installing this ensure you have removed any previous Anti Virus versions else this one wont install. However after using AVG 8 (free version) I uninstalled via Add/Remove programs, rebooted, checked it was gone from Add / Remove programs which it was. Started off Kasperspy install and said could not install because AVG 8 was still present???
So C:\Program Files\AVG 8 deleted the folder manually, still same error on install. One place left the registry, HKLM/Software/AVG 8 delete, problem solved. Not for beginners really as system can be unbootable if wrong action is taken in the registry. This is not Kasperspys fault more than likely a bad uninstall from AVG as companies like to leave file remnants on your PC, but as it was a free version I can hardly complain. Thought best mention though for other users who are updating from AVG 8 free.
Install Kasperspy fine after the above, update schedule can be set as frequently as you like, or can choose automatic or manual if you prefer.
Takes upto 1 minute to download and update latest definitions but as they come out more frequently than free Anti Virus scanners then this can only be a good thing.
Overall decent software, probably not as fancy looking as Norton but functionality is all there, also include Malware, malicious scripts and phising sites to reduce chances of having your passwords / bank details compromised. Good value for money if you have more than 1 PC.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paranoid and overzealous but is that a bad thing?, 6 Aug 2008
Ophiicus (Norwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I should point out that this is not an internet security suite. It does not contain a firewall, nor does it protect your Wi-Fi network and there are other limitations compared to a full internet security suite. What it does provide, is antivirus, anti-malware, email scanning, IM scanning, OS vulnerability scanning and more. It also claims to be installable on infected systems. If this is true and I have no reason to doubt it, it would make this a very useful thing to have sitting on the shelf as a contingency.
It installed easily. It has been running without causing any system slowdown. It performed a "Quickscan" after the installation reboot, which was, indeed, reasonably quick. It didn't find anything, but wasn't expecting anything. However on running a full scan, it managed to find a couple of possible Trojans that McAfee had missed.
Kaspersky has all the features you would expect of an antivirus program. They are well presented in an appealing GUI and it is simple to configure, including scheduling of updates and scans. On default settings Kaspersky automatically checks if there are updates available every hour and the release dates of the updates have a time signature as well as a date. This cannot be a bad thing, unless you are using a really old computer, in which case it could slow things down, but it does claim not to be resource hungry. This has proven not to be entirely true. Under normal circumstances it will not slow down my PC, however when it came to scanning my storage drive this was not the case. I am guilty of storing a lot of stuff on there I don't really need and need to clean it up, but when it came to scanning archives (.rar, .zip) it hung. This happens to me with all antivirus programs and like the rest it is possible to adjust the scan settings to avoid this problem. In its favour this was considerably easier to do than it ever was on McAfee and I was able to achieve what I wanted after a couple of attempts.
On the negative side, it is completely paranoid. Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing for an antivirus program, however it did prove annoying and I had to turn the keylogger detection function off after it flagged every game I was playing as a potential keylogger.
In summary, this seems to be a good application. Its features, which after my experience of one week on the system, work as claimed and are good. It has a simple, attractive interface which is considerably easier to use than McAfee (2008) or PCCillin (2007). It can be a little too efficient, but again, this is something easily adjusted to get it back below annoyance level. I would recommend this to all levels of user - if you are a basic user then you're not going to have files that make the scan hang and if you are the type of user that has large archive files you're likely to find getting over that issue relatively simple. Good stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars A so-so antivirus program, 2 Aug 2008
Schnuggles (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this product a few days ago to review, up to this point I had been using AVG (free version) with no problems. Before I installed I thought I'd better remove AVG from my Vista installation which I did.

I then tried to install Kasp. but it reached a window which stated that I had to remove my antivirus program and listed "AVG 8" even though I had already removed it. It wouldn't let you progress any further. So I removed any left over AVG files and tried again, still the same error. I had to go into my registry and remove the AVG entries before it would install. To most people, the registry is a scary entity and wouldn't think of doing this so I am a little shocked and irritated at this error for a commercial piece of software.
The installation then worked fine, updated fine and also warned that your first reboot may take a little longer so the program gets setup properly.

I've been using it for a few days now and bootup is slightly slower than when I used AVG. I've also turned off part of the program as, by default, it blocks cookies which stops you using sites like eBay.

On the plus-side, and is usually expected, it did find a virus that AVG failed to detect so that was quite welcome.

Overall, I would recommend it over McAfee (which I hate with a passion) and Norton (too bloated) but I am not convinced it offers enough over AVG which is free, only a really good infected PC may show the differences but I'm not willing to try that hypothesis on my PC :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 July 2008
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009

Installed on my PC using Windows Vista Business edition.

I am comparing this to Norton 2008, Norton 360 and McAfee 2008.

Kaspersky claim that the software Protects from all types of malware and spyware Scans files, email messages and Internet traffic Protects instant messengers (ICQ, MSN) Updates automatically.

Installation was okay, It did take a number of attempts to activate, the updates were very quick and only needed to switch the PC on and Off twice, the worst for Installation is Norton which seems to take for ever.

The Menu layout is fine, good clear and easy to use. I scanned the PC with Kaspersky and it claimed to find lots of low risk virus, which amazes me as I have always run Norton and recently changed to Mcfee, both could not find anything on my PC, this is either Kaspersky being a very good virus scan and the others being rubbish, Most of what it had found was old Norton Install, I sometimes wonder If the software companies find things to warrant the cost that has just been spent on their software.

Norton slowed the PC an unbearable amount, Mcfee was fine and all appears to be okay with Kaspersky.
Surfing the net with Norton was poor I had to refresh nearly every other page, never had a problem with Mcfee, Kaspersky is not great I have refreshed a few pages after installing it, this is frustrating and will give it a few more days but probably reinstall Mcfee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most certainly, the best anti-virus product available, 19 Sep 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There was a slight hitch in installing the software, getting the code correct but after that, installation was very easy. The software is very user friendly.

Some anti-virus products that I have used (Symantic is a good example)slowed my computers down alarmingly. The Kaspersky anti-virus software had hardly any impact on either my desktop running Windows XP Pro or laptop running Vista Home Premium.

The hourly updates give a great piece of mind. Well worth the money especially when you consider you get a licence for three machines.

2.0 out of 5 stars Version creep has ruined an excellent AV Program, 8 Feb 2009
Version 7 was excellent - and at one stage the engine was actually combined into ZoneAlarm Pro. Now I load up the 2009 AV trial and it says the programme won't work with any version of ZoneAlarm, so the two companies must have "divorced". A friend bought it for his Dell Laptop and everything was fine for a few weeks before he suffered freezing and crashes. More annoying than incompatibility with ZoneAlarm, (since you can always return to Microsoft's Firewall), was its refusal to tolerate the freeware program Spybot Search and Destroy.

Kaspersky really likes taking over your hard disk and dictating what you use to attack malware, when in reality you need a variety of different tools. That's way too much control in my book, so I didn't even make it to the end of the trial.

So we have the curse of Norton 2004 on our hands with the 2009 Kaspersky - if it works on your PC it's great, but if it doesn't, it's a nightmare and must be removed. Change for the sake of change has ruined it, but I'm happy to have a look at next year's version and see if it can get the "version number" magic back.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Piece Of Anti Virus Software!, 1 Aug 2008
L. Calland "Liam" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used AVG Anti Virus for over 2 years on my Vista laptop with 2 Gig of RAM, it was great to try out another product.

Although many people have had problems installing Kaspersky Anti Virus 2009 when they have used AVG, I made sure all elements of AVG were removed before installing Kaspersky.

If you Google search about the problem you will see it is easily fixed by deleting AVG from the Registry of your computer. I think it is more a problem with AVG than Kaspersky.

Once AVG was fully removed the set up was very smooth and easy with simple on screen instructions throughout the installation. I was also impressed with how simple it was to register the product via the internet.

Once installed it automatically detected the need to update the virus definitions, which took about 5 minutes. Once this was done that was it, my computer was protected! I was also impressed with the menu's which were very user friendly.

With 3 users able to use the disc, it makes for a great bargain.

A good product, and I can relax knowing my computer is protected for 12 months!

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility problem, 23 Dec 2008
I'll keep this brief. I cancelled the installation after a warning message popped up saying my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) was incompatible with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009, and I must uninstall Zone Alarm Pro if I wished to proceed with the installation. So be warned if you have this particular firewall and want to keep it. My previous version; Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 worked fine with Zone Alarm Pro.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Out of stock