5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best
Published on 29 July 2008 by Mr. Mischief

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect solution
I bought this after several years using Symantec products, after seeing favourable reviews. I've given the program only 3 stars because:-

Published on 12 April 2009 by DMH

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best, 29 July 2008
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kaspersky Labs have gained an enviable reputation as one of the top PC security firms around - not only is their anti-virus software habitually one of the top rated AV applications, but its engine is used by several other anti-virus providers simply because it is very good. Kaspersky Internet security 2009 combines this anti-virus engine with anti-spyware, a firewall and a HIPS into a single package, aiming to give protection against not only the more common nasties out there, but also against direct attacks, phishing, spam and attacks through instant messaging.

Setting up is fairly straightforward, taking around 10 minutes to install and update, provided you have a broadband connection. The suite comes pre-configured, which is handy as virtually every part of it is configurable in some way, giving you far more in the way of options than you could think possible. Once set up, it analyses your system to work out what's running and advising you if it thinks anything is less than benign. For me the HIPS has been pretty quiet, only asking about running processes when it's been absolutely necessary; KIS has a large in-built program database so, unless you have something unusual running, I doubt that it would give you much trouble.

The on-demand combined malware scanner takes around 45 minutes to do a full scan and provides not only a full malware scan but also an analysis of your PC to highlight vulnerabilities in your system and to advise you as to what software needs updating. This feature is extremely useful, warning you of weaknesses in programs that hackers could exploit. Similarly, the real-time protection is very well featured, allowing you to customise virtually every aspect of the scanner to suit your tastes.

The spam filter aims to learn who your friends are, which email addresses you've blacklisted, and to allow you to set up personal filters. In reality, though, spammers rarely use the same email account more than once so any spam filter would be hard-pressed to stop the deluge of unsolicited emails that most of us get. You're also provided with a 'virtual keyboard' to prevent keyloggers from stealing your passwords when you log on to (for example) your banking site. Keyloggers have become more advanced in recent times with many having the ability to capture screen shots as you type, and it isn't clear whether or not KIS can do anything to prevent this.

It is generally accepted that the three most important programs to have running on your PC are anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall, all of which are included here, wrapped up in a fairly easy to use package. In reality KIS probably gives you far more than the average user would ever need but it is nice to know that, should you ever want to start mucking about with your security settings, it also gives you leeway to do this. As with any fully-featured security suite, this one can be a bit troublesome if something happens on your system that it doesn't like, but if you don't mind getting your technical fingers dirty, KIS 2009 is one of the best around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky IS- simply the best!, 4 July 2008
I own Kaspersky. I install it on every PC that I repair and it protects all of my home computers.

Why?

Because it is the best internet security suite on the market. Novice users can install it without fear, as the program defaults into an "auto mode" that will decide all the tricky questions itself, whereas power users can easily take full control of the suite and it's advanced detection techniques.

Version 2009 has a HIPS system (not the type that you shake at a party), but this HIPS system controls the applications on your computer and can intelligently decide what "safe" programs are (like microsoft word and others) and what "dangerous" programs are, and make sure that they do not have a chance to damage your computer. Virtual keyboard is useful for typing in passwords and usernames into bank logins to minimise the risk of keyloggers and antispam is accurate and has regular updates, like the virus signatures.

The scans are fast, the support is good, the detection rates are the best in it's class.

Top class product, wouldn't use anything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 29 July 2008
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a number of security suites over recent years, most recently ZoneAlarm, and would probably rate this top.

It doesn't offer anything very much out of the ordinary, but certainly seems to cover everything you might ask. Among other things, you get instant messaging protection, identity theft protection and parental controls, and all through an interface that I found very clear and logical.

One feature that IS novel (at least to me) is the virtual keyboard that you can have pop up when entering id's and passwords, to defeat key loggers.

Scans seemed fast and it always seemed light on use of processor and memory, so, overall, I'd strongly recommend Kaspersky 2009.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great security, 16 July 2008
I have used many security softwares, free and paid for, and eventually settled for a life with McAfee for various reasons, and despite various issues that I'd had with it previously.

A few weeks ago McAfee started failing, and I thought I had malware affecting it. Eventually I found no intrusions, but there was a serious bug in McAfee. I spent days trying to resolve it. My history with McAfee has been love / hate, and so this was the final straw and I decided to uninstall it and not waste more time.

My bank was offering a long trial with KIS 2009 so I gave it a try. Seemed great, until some important emails containing a press release attachment were not received by some people - basically KIS had removed the outgoing attachments, although they were NOT infected. That coincided with some false positives in the full scan, so I had no patience with the highly sensitive KIS and uninstalled it, frustrated again.

I had read great reports and recommendations from friends about ESET NOD32, so tried that next. Great software, but it frequently blocked POP and IMAP ports on Outlook. Since I have multiple email accounts, this may have been the reason in that NOD32 could not cope with them all. Anyway, frustrated through more lost business time, I did not have more time to learn the technical details of yet another security product. Also overall it was awkward to understand and use - great for technical users, but not for business people who just need things to work out of the box!

So what to do now? I went back through reconsidering my my old various security softwares like PC Tools, Threatfire, Avast, Avira, AVG, etc. But they all had a significant downside for me. As an example, Avira looked promising, but unfortunately gave far too many false positives - some of my Excel files have macros, and it kept reporting them as macro viruses! That is like assuming that EVERY .exe is a virus! Very poor and "trigger happy". Avira also "suggested" that there were 2 rootkits! So I checked with 4 other rootkit softwares and they ALL confirmed my system was clean!!! Even Avira was not sure, just a suggestion. Basically i think Avira catches all the bad stuff, but at the big expense of assuming that too many good files are also bad and it can really risk screwing your system and data in my experience.

After hearing further good reports about KIS 2009 i decided to, for the last time, invest time to work out the problem with missing attachments. I found some relevant options to de-sensitise it on checking outgoing emails (I only really need to check incoming, especially if KIS 2009 is already keeping my system clean)

Now KIS is running very well. It has a very low resource usage - lower than anything I have seen, even NOD32, and is performing flawlessly. I am very impressed. For sure, it is not "perfect", but nothing is. Unfortunately no security can be "one size fits all" and so you do need to read the manuals and play with it for an hour or so, to get right for your own setup and usage requirements. But once you do that, you will have a great security. Well done KIS.

We all wish security was effortless, but unfortunately the bad guys don't allow that, and good guys like Kaspersky give us some tools to try and keep the bad guys away, but at the end of the day you MUST understand your own system, or if you don't have the time, or patience to do that, then go and pay someone else to understand it for you. That is an essential responsibility for any computed connected to the internet or internal network.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Secure....If A Little Strict, 5 Aug 2008
M. R. Jones (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being an AVG user for many years, I have never really seen the point of having a paid alternative. But due to the good reviews for this product I decided to give it a try.
Word of warning.....be careful installing this if you have been using AVG. Occasionally AVG will not be completely removed and this program may refuse to install if it has even the slightest inkling that AVG was installed. Hence the four star mark.

That aside, the installation is rather simple and fast. It keeps you informed about what settings it will change (Windows Firewall etc) and allows an opt out for these features.

After installation: the program runs as smooth as silk. Start-up is a lot slicker, faster than AVG, allowing you to get to work quickly. It automatically updates itself multiple times a day (if you are connected to the net that is) to keep protection at its fullest.

Most programs will automatically be registered via the known programs white-list. Any unknown programs causes the program to briefly deep scan the executable and then guide you from there. Of course people with a greater understanding of the settings will be able to fully alter the inner workings of the suite for their own needs.

Definitely worth buying if you are just starting out in computers, and the 3 user license is perfect for small home offices or computer savvy homes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly effective, but intrusive and hard to configure, 22 July 2008
Londonist (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security for about nine months. I selected it after doing a lot of product research on integrated security suites when I finally realised that not only were my collection of freeware security programs taking up too much time in maintenance, they were also leaving me open to viruses. KIS 2008 received excellent reviews from sites I trusted, so I downloaded it and bought a license. Then a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to KIS 2009. My verdict? KIS is relatively light on your resources and extremely effective if you know what you're doing, but it's not a product for the technically unsophisticated. You cannot simply install KIS and expect it to work quietly in the background. If you want that sort of behaviour, then you'll have to figure out how to configure it appropriately. I think it's overly complex, generally a bit of an attention-seeker, and somewhat prone to false positives. I trust it on the whole, but I can't say that I like it. Buy it though - there's nothing better on the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect solution, 12 April 2009
DMH "music lover" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

(a) it slows internet usage down to an unacceptable degree (especially on sites like eBay) and the problem can only be overcome by turning off several of the features built into Kaspersky - which to my mind defeats the whole object of installing this type of software.

(b) periodically the program reports that the database is corrupted and the only solution is to uninstall Kaspersky and then start all over again - which is very inconvenient. Everything then goes as normal, until the database reports that it's corrupted.... This has happened a few times since November last year & is becoming terminally annoying.

These problems seem a pity because in other respects the package seems to be quite comprehensive. I very much doubt though that I shall buy Kaspersky again when renewal times comes around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good option over Norton, 9 Aug 2008
Dean Marshall "DJM" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have for many years been using various versions of Norton, McAfee and Kaspersky and currently run McAfee and Kaspersky on several machines. Overall I would recommend Kaspersky internet Security 2009. Personally I see little difference between Kaspersky and McAfee so I would go for the one offering the best deal. However I would steer clear of Norton. For more detail see my comments below.

I installed Kaspersky on my new laptop running Vista Home Premium. Installation was fine but the registration code on the supplied disc is hard to read and I spent 20 minutes trying to enter the correct code, very frustrating and unnecessary.

I had a couple of quirks due to the automatic set up. After setting up the home network I could not see my other machines until I noticed that Kaspersky had automatically configured the protection level to 'public'. When I changed this to 'local' the other machines could be seen by the laptop.

I kept getting a warning regarding a specific application being blocked from running at startup and although it wasn't an important one I tried to move the application to the 'trusted' level but every time I rebooted the system Kaspersky still insisted on blocking it.

It is always difficult to informally assess any performance hit but both Kaspersky and McAffee had an unnoticeable to acceptable degradation in performance; a statement that I would not make regarding Norton. I would recommend that you make sure that you do not have more than one application dealing with each security area such as firewall, anti-virus, add blocking and anti-spam etc as these can cause conflicts and effect performance. Taking this into account you may find that you can turn off some of the Kaspersky security functions.

I find the interface and general usability of Kasperky far superior to McAffee as it is far more intuitive.

Accepting the couple of initial quirks already mentioned in general use kaspersky is an install and forget product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, with a few drawbacks., 25 July 2008
Rory Mercer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had previously been using Avast free edition for my Anti Virus. When this item appeared in Vine I decided to give it a go and have been reasonably pleased with it. It certainly does a lot more than Avast with its in-built firewall and anti-spam.

Installation was easy enough and, after reboot, most settings were configured automaticaly. This will probably help those who would rather have the system make decisions for you. This feature intrigues me, personally I prefer having control over the security rules of my system but I guess that this is better for those less computer-literate. Certainly in the more control mode you get a good number of notifications but are still supported with lots of information and recommendations along the way.

You can configure firewall rules relatively easily and the logging features are pretty in depth which is nice. You can also lock down the entire system to prevent tampering with an admin password. Though I have not tried the parental controls they look pretty advanced.

I do have some criticisms about alerts that are repeated if you tell them to skip - if a program is still trying to execute then the alert keeps showing up until you take action which can be an annoyance.

I like the GUI though, and the vulnerability scanner certainly comes in handy. It also picked up a lot of things that Avast missed so, in my opinion, it is a good step up from free providers at a reasonable price.

All considered I think I will be renewing the subscription next year and I would recommend this as a good product for you to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable Rubbish!, 19 April 2009
Andrew J. Noble (UK) - See all my reviews
The following is a complaint I sent to Kaspersky. Of course, I didn't receive a reply to this or previous lesser problems.

"I wrote to you recently regarding IS 2009 crashing when confronted by a WIN 32 worm virus (no reply as yet!). As I was abroad at the time this proved to be really annoying; I found that reestablishing the program and license was impossible and I gave up.
In desperation, and with no other alternative, I loaded Avast 4.8 which has proved to very good.
Returning to the UK I updated IS 2009 from version .357? to .506; this was an update that would solve the problem, but no.
Downloading data from the internet again proved to be too much for IS 2009. Apart from IS 2009 freezing my laptop after being confronted with a WIN 32 worm again, it decided to switch off "Protection" and to delete my license (as happened before).
After reading all the reviews for Kaspersky and deciding that this program must be better than the abysmal Norton 360, I have now loaded it in all my machines; 5 laptops and 1 desktop. But ridiculously, I'm having to load Avast 4.8 as a back up to IS 2009. Is this right??
If Avast can get it right (for free!!!!) then why can't you?

(Please note that I only loaded Avast after Kaspersky proved to be useless.)

I feel totally let down and disappointed by this situation, especially as I could be forced to change security, again."

I hope this proves to be of interest to those considering Kaspersky.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Out of stock