5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a second bass - became first choice!, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Washburn T14 Taurus Series Electric Bass Guitar - Natural Satin (Electronics)
I bought this bass as a second bass. The Washburn T14 range is consistently well reviewed, so I thought I would give it a go.

On arrival it was well packed. Not unsurprisingly it was not in tune (all the strings left very loose on the neck), and, as detailed in many other reviews, the neck itself needed adjustment to get the right sound (the truss rod was a little slack, so the strings buzzed aganst the neck). This isn't a difficult job once you have decided to do it. Half a turn on the rod sorted it out - but, and a very big but...the Allen Key supplied by Washburn was just pathetic - it bent and flexed, making it impossible to do the job. Do your self a favour, throw it out before getting frustrated at its cheapness! Trip to my (fortunalty) well equipped workshop, proper allen key and job done, but come on, please supply a decent key, or don't bother at all!

The guitar is quite light, but sustains really well on low notes and looks superb. The tone adjustment across the two pick ups (precision and jass) is really good and the overall sound rich and pleasing.

Oh, and its become my main bass already...any thoughts of it becoming a spare dismissed as soon as I started to play. Low action and a lovely feel. Go buy one. I might have to try another Washburn...but only if I can sneak it into the house!

UPDATE - 2 months in.

It is still a lovely instrument, but one thing that has pleased me is that it stays in tune really well, and once I got to grips with the tone controls (belnding the two pickups) and the sound differences that can be obtained from playing over each pickup I loved it even more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Washburn T14, Workhorse bass., 7 Mar. 2013
I got this bass to have in my home studio. It was tuned but buzzed on the first 3 frets. This was fixed easily by removing the access plate on the head and slackening the truss rod about half a turn with the supplied tool. No buzzing now ! Action lovely and intonation perfect. The bass plays very well and has a quite amazing tone range by blending the pickups and the tone capacitor. The hardware is all nice and smooth, the guitar is fairly lightweight,i don't know what type of pickups it has but it seems to be well wired. I would recommend this bass both for a beginner and semi-pro because when tweaked a little, you have a insrument worth at least twice the price!! The nearest bass that I can compare this to is a guild B302, but a fraction of the price and much lighter. On the down side the neck is quite thick but the player will soon get used to this. This is what gives good strength and tone !

5.0 out of 5 stars My first bass guitar, 8 May 2013
This is my first bass, promptly delivered and everything in order. From other reviews out there, I expected to need it setup properly - sure enough, out the box it was twanging / buzzing. Through reviews I'd learned it could be down to a few things that you just don't want from your first (or any) bass - twisted necks, wonky this, broken that... My dad's mate is a guitar / bass guru and has played for over 50 years. He checked it over, one turn of a nut to raise the action and it's sorted.
Tastes vary of course, but his reaction to picking it up and blazing a few basslines was that it's the lightest he's tried and the most beautiful to play - not my opinion here, I'm clueless! He's owned many basses and plays very well - he's waiting for my new found hobby to die so he can buy it from me! Oil finish is lovely, it's very smooth in the hand. I highly recommend this for a first bass guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, plays good..., 28 Oct. 2014
5 stars for this which arrived today. I've not been able to put it down since opening (5 stars for the packaging too).
As others have said it does need a bit of setting up, but having some experience of tweaking fretted instruments I found making adjustments to this bass very straightforward indeed. In my case I had to lower the action a little by tightening the trussrod. Incidentally I found the allen key provided perfectly adequate - just make sure you slacken the strings off before adjusting. I also adjusted the intonation at the bridge. All this is quite easy to do and is to be expected when buying more or less straight from the factory. Not a criticism of the instrument .
It plays like a dream, is very responsive with good sustain particularly on the lower notes. 24 frets all accessible, fairly light but substantial enough to feel like you're playing a 'proper bass'. The 3 controls provide lots of scope for tonal variation.
Brilliant value for money in my opinion whether you be a beginner, improver or (as in my case) someone coming back to bass playing after a long absence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Dec. 2014