4.0 out of 5 stars A new mac in your Mac
I bought Snow Leopard when it came out and installed it on my laptop that night.
Published on 8 Sep 2009 by A. I. Mackenzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to grade
If you have a Mac and want to upgrade the OS, then you have no choice. As usual, there are features I like and use and there are some which are superfluous for me.
Published 16 months ago by Mr. R. Callard

4.0 out of 5 stars A new mac in your Mac, 8 Sep 2009
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Family Pack, 5 Users (Mac) (Software)
The install itself was a bit of a breeze, once you've clicked the 'no going back' button, the install doesn't require any more input. I've installed it on 2 iMacs and my Macbook. It took a little longer on the macbook, up to 90 minutes but was very smooth (although the progress bar hardly moves for the first 5 minutes or so).

The Macbook in particular feels a lot more snappy, with programs opening faster and the sleep and wake cycles much faster. The only downside has been program incompatibility, the following didn't work:Cyberduck, RapidWeaver, Cocktail, httpmail plug in and any 3rd party screensaver. Also the following require Rosetta which I don't want to install: Palm pilot software and Mac the Ripper . There are known problems with lots of Abobe progrmas, CS3 is incompatible as I understand but there are also problems with CS4, Aperture ans MS Word crashing.
There are newer versions of cyberduck and Rapidweaver, but still no Cocktail update.

So if there's anything critical to you, I would suggest holding off, especially Abode stuff, otherwise it's a good update - 'A new Mac in your Mac' indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile buy, 16 Jan 2010
A. Lindsay - See all my reviews
I run a late-2006 macbook (1.83 Ghz, 1GB DDR2, 320GB HDD), and have upgraded faithfully from Tiger to Leopard. I'd lost the original OS X install CD, I was worried I'd have to fork out 130 for the Mac Box Set. I've never really used iWork, and either way it's cheaper to get the three (iLife, iWork, Snow Leopard) at around 30. I couldn't just upgrade as I was installing a new HDD at the same time.

It works great on the new HDD, installing was much quicker than Tiger or Leopard (around ~30 mins once it started). The programs are the same, with most updates being already downloadable to OS X owners. However, this really is a worthwhile purchase, it's much faster than Leopard on virtually the same hardware, and for 40, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new macbook.

Also remember that if you want just to upgrade all the macs in your house, this is a cheaper option than the upgrade disc, as it has 5 licenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 29 Oct 2009
I looked carefully at the technical requirements before ordering, and noted that it is listed as the complete package (not just an upgrade), for 5 licenses (in the same home).
I'm pleased to say it is just that.
Not only that, for anyone interested, I first performed an UPGRADE installation on my Mac Pro, from Leopard. It worked fine, as does all the software I use, all users were kept, all libraries (iTunes etc) kept intact. It took about 40 minutes and was trouble free.
Here's the REALLY good bit; I then put the disc into my MacBook Pro, which has Tiger on it. I'd backed it up, expecting this disc to do a clean install and trash everything on the target disc in the process. Not so; it too did a seamless upgrade, in about 40 minutes, leaving all documents and users intact.
Absolutely stonking value for a very easy and worthwhile upgrade. Microsoft should take note...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lean and quick, 5 May 2011
P. J. Matthews (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I only installed Snow Leopard last night, on two laptops, a white plastic MacBook and a metal MacBook. Including all the updating, which was done mostly over wifi, the whole experience was about 5 to 6 hours but a lot of this is with leaving to chunter away by itself and also I tend to update one item at a time having been stung a few times in the past and never trusted to update all again! The install from disk alone was about an hour and twenty minutes for each computer.

The plastic one had 26GBs freed up and the metal slightly over 10GBs after installation. Don't know the reasons for the difference but having more space is brilliant whatever.

The plastic laptop was taking ages for logon but now it is super quick, blink of an eye fast. Whatever Apple have done it is brilliant. The metal has always been quick and can't see much difference yet.

I do recommend this OS at this time. I hope I still do in a few months!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Upgrade..., 25 Oct 2009
MC Knifton "toonman555" (North East of England) - See all my reviews
Not much to say except it just gets on with the job, in a faster, more efficient and space friendly way. We have 2 iMac 24s and 2 Macbooks - and so far have found no problems. Everything runs, including Aperture 2.14, Photoshop CS2/CS4 and MS Word + a whole variety of other software. Probably the only thing that won't work will be Age of Empires III, but then it wouldn't with the older version of Leopard. No great loss really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality bro, 30 Jun 2014
It worked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great support though, 21 Mar 2014
I thought it will help, but everything stay the same (maybe I need new Mac ;)) I need it for update Adobe, but still something is missing :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to grade, 24 Mar 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade if using 10.5 Leopard, 9 Jan 2013
Installed this last night on my 2.4ghz Dual Core 2 Imac on top of 10.5 leopard. Took about 1 hour & an extra 1/4 hour to update to 10.6.8. Very overpriced on here as on Apple's website you can buy 1 5 licence version for 21.00 including delivery. Ordered friday came Tuesday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard from Amazon, 20 Nov 2012
The product was delivered on time, was well packed and was downloaded with a little help from Apple store.... help was needed from the Apple store to deal with updates....

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Family Pack, 5 Users (Mac)
19.90