5.0 out of 5 stars A Faster, Lighter, Smoother Leopard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Faster, Lighter, Smoother Leopard, 2 Sept. 2009
Alan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
I installed Snow Leopard (aka Mac OS X 10.6.0) on Sunday 30th August 2009 just 2 days after it was released, on my 3-year-old iMac. My iMac isn't particuarly powerful; it only has a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive. Snow Leopard was extremely easy to install, with few options or technical decisions to make, and took just 45 minutes to complete. I upgraded straight from Leopard and didn't have to re-format my hard drive or start over from scratch. I encountered no problems or bugs during the process and, when I got back to my Desktop, all my files and settings were completely intact.

In short, my iMac is now much faster. That's the main difference. Snow Leopard may look the same as Leopard on the surface, but "under the hood" it has been completely re-engineered and refined. From my experience, it seems like I'm running the same operating system (Leopard) but on newer, more powerful hardware. My iMac now starts up in 35 seconds and shuts down in 6 seconds. And it goes to sleep so quickly you'd think the computer had crashed! The Finder feels lighter and more fluid, with smoother scrolling and faster loading of icons. The Dashboard loads and updates more quickly, with less time spent waiting for Widgets to refresh their content from the Internet. Mail also feels lighter and more responsive, totally at ease with browsing through thousands of rich text e-mails.

Snow Leopard appears to be identical to Leopard, but it isn't. There are lots of new features and improvements to be found if you look closely enough. For example, Preview now allows you to import from a scanner, over Wi-Fi. This "just works" totally automatically, and requires no installation of third-party bloatware or complex configuration. Expose has been re-designed, presumably in response to Windows 7 copying Apple's dock (introduced in 2000), with left-click dock activation, a more organised grid layout, and the ability to minimise windows down into their parent application's icon. QuickTime Player is totally different and now allows you to record your own screen in high definition, and upload it directly to YouTube. Date & Time in System Preferences now sets your time zone automatically, by triangulating nearby Wi-Fi hotspots to determine your closest city. And one of the most useful features, automatic spelling correction is now system-wide, meaning your mistakes are corrected no matter where you type!

So is Snow Leopard worth £23.99? Absolutely, it's fantastic value at just a third of the cost of Windows 7. It makes your Mac run much faster and it fixes most of Leopard's little quirks and imperfections. I'm genuinely impressed. However, if you're not a geek, I'd advise you to wait a month or two before upgrading. Upgrading to a brand new operating system, just days after its release, is risky business and potentially counterproductive. Many third-party apps aren't yet ready for Snow Leopard, because developers weren't expecting it to come out until the end of September! So check the websites of your favourite apps for updates first, and perhaps wait for Apple to release 10.6.1 or even 10.6.2, before taking the plunge.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unresolved issues, 5 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
Whilst everybody likes their software to be up to date, some of your older versions of applications like Aperture will not run on the new platform and you will have to buy them again, it would have been helpful to know this before installing. Like all new Mac programming there are unresolved issues that will no doubt be ironed out in future updates, I suddenly found internet access very slow which I resolved by changing my network settings, a slow and painful process as I am not a 'geek', it would be worth looking at various issues that have come up on Mac forums before deciding to install. I would advise waiting for the creases to be ironed out before installing this version of Snow leopard. On the plus side it wasn't that expensive except for the time you may spend resolving problems!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic Upgrade to Leopard (10.5), 28 Aug. 2009
Daniel Probert (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, it's more of a makeover of Leopard than a full upgrade, but then Windows 7 is more of a makeover of Windows Vista than a true upgrade as well (IMHO).

This is a short review - the other two poor reviews were about Amazon's customer service, not about the Snow Leopard product, so I just thought I'd actually write something positive about the actual product.

Installation took about 40 mins on my old (white) MacBook.

Only thing I've found with Snow Leopard so far is that it disabled my Parallels 3.0 software - which simply means it's time to upgrade to Parallels 4.0.
Other than that, everything just works. Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Tiger, 6 Sept. 2009
M. Nash (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
Good news to anyone who still has Tiger, Snow Leopard can be directly installed... unless you want to buy iLife and iWork '09, this is a cheap fantastic upgrade. However, for it to work properly, you will have to back up all of your documents, photos, and applications if needed, then transfer them back. Worth the time & effort!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 3 Sept. 2009
N. EVERITT (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
Snow Leopard is an evolutionary release that builds upon Leopard. It incorporates a lot of new technologies under the hood that allow Mac OS X to take advantage of GPGPU (using the graphics processor in everyday applications), and tools such as GCD (Grand Central Dispatch) that allow developers to take advantage of the multiple cores found in modern Mac systems. The kernel and all standard applications within OS X have also been recompiled as 64 bit on Macs that support it, so that they can perform more efficiently and take advantage of massive amounts of RAM.

It also features a lot of speed improvements (especially boot up and shutdown, install time, as well as general system speed). There aren't a lot of new end user features (QuickTime X is all I can think of), but Apple has taken a lot of time to refine the current features, productivity enhancements to the Dock (Dock Expose) and the Finder, and hundreds of small tweaks across the system that make little difference by themselves, but when grouped together make OS X that more enjoyable to use.

And at £23 I can think of no reason not to buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Upgrade from Tiger, but..., 12 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
Having been using Tiger, since buying it preloaded on my iMac in January 2007, I thought it was high time for an upgrade!

Snow Leopard is fantastic.

It's slick, and user friendly, but make sure you have at least 2GB RAM installed!

I was tempted to rate it 4.5 though, due to it being not much faster than Tiger.

However, this is no doubt down to my only having 1GB RAM installed on my Mac. It's been slowing down for a while (on Tiger).

I'll be upgrading it to 2.5GB RAM asap, and then I'm confident that Snow Leopard run like a dream!

If upgrading from Tiger OS on your Mac, you don't even need to buy Leopard first.

Save money and upgrade directly to Snow Leopard.

Installation was a cinch :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Leopherd doesn't change its spots, 31 Aug. 2009
Gromit "Gromit" (HYDE, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
I have now given it a few days of testing and using before submitting this review, but I am pleased to award OSX 10.6 five stars. There is a marked improvement in speed across the board. Safari 4 which I have not been happy with, now works much better. About 7GB of bloat have been removed and all for a very modest price. It loaded easily and quickly, and in terms of appearance, everything was the same, but the improvements in performance are worth the £23.

This release was announced in June 2008, so it has not been rushed out as one reviewer states. OSX 10.5 came out two years ago, so an update really was due.

I can honestly say it is faultless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, but needs the updates, 7 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
My apologies if this appears a bit "Geeky", though may be of help to Apple users dogged by USB issues.

I am a software development manager and shell script developer (predominantly Linux, and more recently Apple) and upgraded from Leopard 10.5 with fair hopes that it would resolve long-reported USB stability and connectivity issues on my iMac. Generally, connecting USB flash devices via powered hub presented the following issues...

1. The (well reported) bug of USB power exceeded for connected USB flash - despite the hub being a powered unit!
2. System instability when connecting several USB flash devices, either at boot-time or thereafter.
3. Stuck flash drive icons on the desktop, despite devices being unmounted and where icons could not be cleared.
4. One for the softies this... System profiler report where the allocated mount share (i.e. /volumes/disk*) and location ID appeared in very different places in the report.

Following the update to 10.6 Snow Leopard:

1. Better, but still showing the same problems on occasion.
2. Still showing the same instabilities. Hardly any better than 10.5., though some improvement by barring automount and then mounting with DiskUtil.
3. Better, with only one stuck desktop icon noticed to-date.
4. Fixed! System Profiler now reporting mount share and location ID in same block.

After a post-install on-line update of latest patches/fixes:

1. About the same as before the updates.
2. Fixed, as far as I can tell to-date.
3. Still getting one or more stuck icons on occasion, but infrequently.
4. System profiler report appears to have remained in the same (preferred) format.

Hopefully this may help anyone trying to fix USB connectivity issues that have been dogged by OS-X problems for quite some time. Whilst markedly improved after upgrade AND updates, still appears to be a work in progess though.

Now I'll step aside for other's comments regarding Snow Leopard in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard, 14 July 2011
B Mumtaz - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
I got this to upgrade from Tiger, and the first time I installed it, didn't work, almost setting off a panic-attack! However, a re-install went smoothly and with no problems. Works a treat now. Didn't have to do anything to my saved files or settings. The whole process was extremely easy (each time). Highly recommend it for anyone still running an older OS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but..., 30 Aug. 2009
J. Gillespie "JoeG" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac) (Software)
As a long time Mac user, I always upgrade to the latest OS, but not always to the latest version of programs. The first problem I met trying to install Snow Leopard is that it didn't like my DVD drive. This was an 'upgraded' drive from Sony I put in my Mac Pro. Although I have never had a problem with it before, SN installed kept insisting that the DVD was dirty and couldn't be read. My Mac Mini had no trouble reading the DVD so I know that the DVD drive is the problem. I got the install DVD onto an external disk drive and installed from that.

Second problem was that Snow Leopard didn't like my printer software. I have an expensive Epson Pro 4000 which is a few years old and a brilliant 8-colour, A2 printer. I checked and there are no newer drivers available, so I can't use it with Snow Leopard. Likewise, my Microsoft Office X and FileMaker Pro 6 work perfectly in 10.5.8 but not in 10.6, even with the optional Rosetta installed. I have never needed to upgrade these as they do what I want. When I worked out the cost of updating all these things for 10.6, I gave up and reverted to a cloned backup.

If you have an Intel Mac running a lot of legacy software/hardware, you might want to think twice. If eveything is up to date, go for it!

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days