5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product
I have owned these dumbbells for five years and besides a few chips in the coating applied to the metal they remain to be perfect.

The main points that will will probably be of interest to anybody considering purchasing will probably focus around:

Published on 10 Jan. 2013 by The Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent functionality. Awful design.
In general, I'd have to say that Powerblock's idea works. There isn't currently a product out there that better fits my needs. I spend less time faffing about with plates and spin locks, more time actually lifting. Expensive yes, but compared to the cost of gym memberships in my area of London it's actually not such a bad deal.
What I hate it however is the feeling...
Published 8 months ago by ::m::

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)

Quality - This is a high quality product in both feel and appearance, you will appreciate as soon as you hold one of these that they are built to last.

Usability - These dumbbells are square as opposed to being circular like pretty much any other dumbbell that you will use. I have found this to be a positive, for whatever reason (I am an accountant not a scientist) when lifting a heavy weight it feels easier to balance these when struggling on the last couple of reps in a set - which is important if you train alone as I do. The weights can be changed in a matter if seconds and can be dropped in pretty much 1kg increments. It is of note that the adder weights inside the handle take a little longer to remove but even then you are only looking at ten seconds to change to the desired weight. Inside the dumbbell is a single handle as expected, but on the bottom there are two metal tubes where the adder weights reside - these two tubes can be held (one in each hand) which allows pullovers to be performed (or any other exercise requiring a single weight to be held by two hands) very easily and comfortably.

In terms of storage powerblock sell a special stand however this takes up room in the home that is unnecessary but what you can purchase, which is also available from amazon is a tray (made by Powerblock) which has space for the dumbbells and the adder weights in the centre and is slightly angled towards the user for ease of retrieval. This tray can sit on top of a desk, a two drawer filing cabinet as I do, a chest of drawers etcetera.

In summary, this is a well built product that looks good and performs perfectly without the hassle of sliding weights onto bars or the flimsy construction of other quick change dumbbells such as bowflex. The best alternative that I can see is the iron master dumbbells, they do not look as good but they can be dropped. Saying that, if train in your own home you probably do not want to be dropping weights on the floor. Plus I have dropped these, not deliberately, but when have misjudged a set, and they have bounced okay with no damage. There is not really anything to break on these - iron weights, a plastic inner and a metal weight selector pin with some magnets.

You will not be disappointed if you purchase these, they are great and ultimately it is amazon, if you get them and do not like them you can always return! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 5 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
Pros:

1. Very quick weight changes
2. Takes up less space than regular dumbbells
3. Sturdier than the competition (Bowflex Select-Tech)
4. Upgradable to carry heavier weights (Stage 2 and 3)
5. Able to carry Plate Mates for incremental weight increases
6. Unlikely to become faulty (unlike Bowflex Select-Tech)

Cons:

1. More expensive than spinlock adjustable dumbbells and Bowflex Select-Tech
2. Adder weights make a clinking sound
3. On certain exercises the dumbbell feels slightly unbalanced due to location of adder weights, especially if you are only using 1 adder weight.

If you only occasionally use dumbbells, spinlock adjustable ones are better value for money. But if you use dumbbells a lot then this will save you a lot of time and headache changing weights.

This is a great product for someone who doesn't have much room and can afford the price. Shop around for the best price. If you can't afford it look on Ebay, Craiglist and Gumtree for second-hand ones. I would recommend getting the stand with these. It makes it easier making weight changes, racking the blocks, less strain on your lower back and generally makes your workout space look tidier.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last Dumbbell you'll ever need (almost), 10 July 2011
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
Just sold the Bowflex 552 to make way for these, Amazon keep sending reminders to make a review so here it is, the Powerblock's were sent more or less next day on the lowest delivery cost which is good, but expected considering the price of the Dumbbells.

Overall the dumbbells are a solid, steel construction. compared the weight on the scales and it isn't that accurate until the 22.5kg selection which seems to be more or less 22.5kg. The scale for the weight is in Kg NOT Lb due to the metric system, which is ok if you're used to Kg. I wasn't with the Bowflex which were in Lb but I'm slowly coming round to recognising the way the system on these works.

Basically you pull out a selector bar similar to the one you would use on a pulldown machine at the gym to select weight increments, you pop this bar under the weight you want to lift (you'll soon pick it it) and away you go.

There are two small 1kg round ballast type weights for each of the internal handles that obviously reduce the weight by 1 then 2kg if you remove them. These slide in and out easy enough but be warned if you are doing P90X until you become quick at pulling the pin, removing the handle, removing the ballast weights, putting handle back in then selecting the weight you want you will either need to pre emp your selection if you finish a set early set up the next one or you will have to press pause till your sorted.

So the handle weight is 2.5kg without ballast then it goes to 3.5 with one and then 4.5kg with both of the inserted ballast weights. Leaving the weights in you basically have a 10lb handle (4.5kg) the next selection is 9kg, then 13.5, 18, 22.5Kg.

You don't need the optional stand, the floor works just as well except obviously you have to squat down to change and/or pick up the weight. or get the BFX one ( just google it) for £40

The design may take some a bit of time to get used to but beleive me, bicep curls are great (better than with a hex dumbbell) as the Powerblock are smaller than a Hex dumbbell, so are shoulder press, rows, tricep extensions etc, however I would'nt press to dumbbells together when doing over head throws etc so you will still need to either modify the move by only using one dumbbell or have another set of regular or hex for that type of exercise.

The paintwork marks easily with slotting in and out but can be touched up if you can be bothered. But it is a dumbbell and there to be used not looked at.

Overall I think that for ease of use they are on par with the bowflex, for size they are better than the bowflex because they are smaller, for the way they are made, there are no moving parts or a base that they need to slot into so again they beat the bowflex on this. The handles are more like standard gym dumbbells with a good neoprene or similar grip overlay where as the bowflex have a tapered handle with their logo running over it, so when you lift the 50lb selection you can end up with a nice imprint.

But the BIG plus points for the Powerblocks are that. you can upgrade them to heavier weight with two additional addon kits, and unless you are Jay Cutler they should always be able to be one step ahead of your lifting progress in this respect. This alone makes them more attractive than any other adjustable dumbbells.

Also the other main plus point. they have a 15 year warranty (not sure about uk coverage but i assume it still applies) and good uk customer support (who I've already spoke to and are very helpful) where as I had an issue with 1 of the Bowflex dumbbell handles and firstly they don't have any UK customer support and when you do contact them in the US they will only honour US warranty issues and will only ship spares/replacements inside the US, that for me was enough for them to be sold. No support for £300 dumbbells is ridiculous.

So, steep price, great build, good asthetics, upgradable weight system, good warranty, good customer support, overall a good buy if you compare them to the price you would be paying for hex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great space saver, quick change, solidly built, 23 July 2008
Che Y. Yeung (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
Have had these for about 6 months now.
Previously bought the standard spinlock dumbells and alway had problems with the spinlocks loosening. That and getting appropriate plates for them.

These dumbells are great for all the standard basic movements (presses, curls, lateral movements, pulls). I've even done single dumbell power snatches with these and they were rock solid. The old addage, you get what you pay for.

The quick change mechanism is exactly that. Doesn't feel great on initial change but with the motions I've tried, hasn't let me down yet.

If space is a premium and price isn't a object, then these are great.

I believe you can probably buy some fixed dumbell sets for a similar price...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Dumbbells. Best adjustable dumbbells I've ever used., 3 May 2013
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
Very good dumbbells. They very easy to adjust, they're very comfortable to hold and they're not that noisy when used. They are miles better than other dumbbells such as the Bowflex models as the shape of the dumbbell changes according to how much weight there is on it. The Bowflex dumbbells are a fixed size which means they are always BIG. This sometimes makes it difficult to do certain exercises but on with the Powerblocks. All exercises are super comfortable and I felt a massive pump when using these. You can always upgrade these dumbbells too with more weight which is a fantastic feature for the long term.

It's a shame that one of the dumbbells I received had a faulty lever (it did not quite click into position) but if it wasn't for this I'd still have them now. The only con I can think of is the price. At about £300 they're hardly cheap but if you think you'll use them often then I guess it's worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars They are great. Before buying them, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
They are great. Before buying them, you must think if you will ever upgrade to stage 2, if you think you will never upgrade to stage 2, I recommend the 5.5. With the 9.0 you miss some weights that are in the 5.5 series, for example, you jump from 4.25Kg to 7Kg and you will need another set of dumbbells for 5.5 Kg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Design & Construction: A real alternative to the gym..., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
I always thought that these dumbbells were a gimmick. I had never used them before because I just believed that you couldn't get as good a workout at home as you get from the local gym. I am 6' 6'' and 23 stone at 21% body fat. I have been working out since I was 16 and I am now 45. Last year I had a back injury. I thought my life was over. I recovered, but I have not been the same since my injury occurred. I have been avidly doing cardio and light weights, but I am getting old and cranky and I am tired of paying £50 per month to watch kids leave weights all over the gym without re-racking them. I had a traditional dumbbell/barbell set and a flat bench but it was irritating changing the weight and the collars. I looked into a more efficient system and I did the rounds looking at Bowflex, etc. I almost stumped up the cash for the Bowflex 1090, but then I ran across the Power Blocks at a strongman show. I was impressed. It is a very simple system to change the weights. The steel is extremely thick gauged with great welding. I have always felt that the fewer moving parts, the less likely something will go wrong and with this I pulled the trigger on the Stage 1 & 2 for the Power Block Sport 9.0. I use my flat bench and concentrate on compound movements. I have more than enough weight for my ageing bones to handle and nothing ever goes wrong with the weights. The weights come with a long warranty and they have been tried and tested with over 20 years in the market. My workouts are gym quality and I have all the DOMS I can handle. They aren't cheap, but I was paying £600 pounds per year for my gym membership and I forked out £450 on these bad boys. Still cheaper than the gym and I can resell the Power Blocks at a good return should I wish to. I would suggest that buyers purchase the Stage 1 and then see if that is sufficient weight. For 75% of the public the Stage 1 is fine. I am immensely impressed with these weights and the supplier and I would heartily recommend them to anybody seriously considering a home workout solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars A master piece of modern design, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
I was looking for a dumbbell set for the home and haven't got much space and find the spin lock, common loose plate style fiddly. Buying individual sets is just too expensive as well as needing a lot of room.

Had looked at other sectionalised sets such as Bowflex and they were huge as well as looking a bit tacky and unbalanced as sections would be missing when using the weight combinations. Other sets which looked like the tradition dumbbell didn't allow for a much variety in weight.

Powerblocks dumbbell is more compact, its adjustment pin allows for very quick changes in resistance with little fuss. They are also extremely versatile, just put them in the car if away on business, take them to work or need a fix during a weekend break.
The adder weights in the handle feel a bit strange at first but feel very natural after a while. The amount and variation in weight available is excellent.

Aesthetically they look like they were sculpted as a piece of contemporary art, a master piece of modern design. It might sounds a bit OTT but they could easily sit be in the Tate Modern next to classics such as the London underground route map.

Powerbocks dumbbell may be on the pricey side but the are sturdily built with the option to buy extra weight stages (Sports 9.0) they offer a massive progression/selection in weight. Much cheaper than equivalent in individual sets.

Think of them as and investment rather than a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and warranty service!, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
I love these dumbbells, very easy to use and saves so much time and space, especially for a student like me. I unfortunately damaged the bottom plate on one of my dumbbells, so i contacted the seller and received a replacement plate within a few days! :) I'm very happy with the service and quality of the powerblocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality and Versatile Dumbbells, 3 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1) (Misc.)
The Powerblock Sport 9 Stage 1 Dumbbells are a very solid product, finished to a very high standard.

They are also extremely easy and quick to configure for the different weights, in addition to being very comfortable to hold in a variety of grips with no trauma at all for the hands, even without gloves (or similar protection).

All in all, an excellent product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Powerblock Sport 9.0 Dumbbells (stage 1)