on 22 January 2011
A very cozy and uplifting cartoon movie. Its very entertaining, and I think the people behind it has made a worthy effort in turning the book into a cartoon movie.

The movie is a fine adaption of the book, standing true to most of the content. Many of the scenes and characters are how I imagined them to be when I first read the book.

What I loved the most about this movie was the music!...It's so peaceful and relaxed. It's one of the main contributors to creating the beautiful Middle-Earth setting. Glenn Yarbrough has a beautiful voice. I listen to "the greatest adventure" and "roads go ever on" several times a week.
The animation is exellent too! considering it's from 1977.

All in all this is a very good cartoon movie that doesn't miss out on too much of the book's elements and I don't think any Tolkien/The Hobbit fan would consider this rubbish. I love it.

Now, Bring on the "real" The Hobbit Movie! December 2012, here we come! and not even the Mayan end of the world can stop me!
on 5 August 2014
Bought it a long time ago when it was really cheap. Tried to watch it today and not only was the audio very soft, the video quality poor but most importantly the movie stopped working at around 15 minutes in. Checked the dvd and it looks like I have a defective copy, it's not scratched but it's almost like there is glue smeared inside of the layers (not sure how else to describe this). Put it back on the shelf to collect more dust.
on 6 February 2013
Good film for my 8 years old Sam to education from hobbits to Lord of the Rings. Will but Lords of the Rings later. The film in good security tight wrapped parcel.
on 25 March 2013
This version of The Hobbit is a fantastic watch for all ages. If you do not want to sit through Peter Jackson's long version, this is perfect for you. It is also interesting to see the differences between the films and the book.
on 15 January 2013
I was so excited to see this. I remember watching it as a little kid and being totally captivated by it. My, how it has aged! The color is so dark that you can't even make out what's going on in places. The sound is really bad as well. It's not what you'd expect from a DVD. It looks like it was bootlegged.

It's good for kids. There is fighting, but no blood or guts. The foes just disappear when they are vanquished. It really is a kids' story. Even though it's old technology, I don't think they will mind its shortcomings as the story is still cute.
on 19 April 2013
poorly made version of the tolkein classic , nothing like the well made lord of the rings animated film.
not recommended i would advise to avoid
on 16 August 2011
Bought this DVD just a couple of weeks ago.Tried to put it on the other evening and when I did the audio was practically non-existent.A loud buzz just came from the speakers and the music and dialogue could only be heard as a dull obscure noise in the background.Aint gonna post this back to the seller as it cost little to buy,but would certainly not recommend anyone else to buy it as it is a waste of money.If possible,check the quality of this copy before you buy.Hope this helps!!PS Only rating this as one star because I could not leave a rating of 0 stars......
on 13 June 2009
Very poor release. It feel more like pirate DVD. Not a single copyright not even a title on DVD's menu. No extras. No subtitles. Nothing. The only option available is a chapter select here. Poor video quality. The sound is not bad though (kind of remade actually. Some sounds are missing now and some added. Personally I don't feel like it was a good idea but there's nothing dreadful about those changes anyway or maybe I just don't remember how it should really sound in original but I definitely hear some that was added and know there's some missing parts in it). No region protection.

From the other hand the movie itself is an immortal classic and it's one of my favorite adaptations of the original J.R.R.Tolkien's title. Sure it lacks for original storyline style a bit due to adaptation's running time limitations compared to book but it's still great in a matter of adventure spirit and visualisation of the classic novel. It's like it just was simplified a bit but it's still an interesting piece of history of animation and adaptations for good. The music in the movie and the atmosphere of MiddleEarth is just awesome here. So as the animation (considering it's 1977).

Should I mention I want it hard but what I've got with all this quality mentioned above is not enough from what I really expected to see on DVD. And yeah, I disappointed a lot. By release not by the movie!

So here goes the title of my review. I'll go into american amazon store and buy region 1 NTSC DVD release of The Hobbit. At least it has original name on it and I hope it has more then the movie itself with origins unknown.

Thank you for attention. I hope it was kind of helpful to you. And sorry for my english (it's not my native language).
on 11 August 2013
I got this some months before The Hobbit came in the cinema, so that I was well prepared, while I also have read the book. Three different stories, but this and the book were very similar.

Gandalf is a complete douche, the dragon looks like a goose-cat with wings and the trolls look like weird frogs, but other than that it is a great movie. The theme song to it plays in the background at least once or twice in every scene, it is very addicting.
on 22 February 2013
I really loved this! Perfect for introducing Tolkien to the children, but bare in mind - it is not like a Disney film!