Silver Spoons & Broken Bones
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£9.84+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 24 July 2008
Just to set the scene, I am late 30's and a fan of rock/metal in general. I can enjoy anything from Matchbox 20 to Metallica.
I wasn't expecting too much from Stone Gods, but seeing the Classic rock review made me sit up and take notice. I'm glad I did.
The first few listens were encouraging. Burn The Witch being the best. Similar to the Darkness in terms of riffing but this time supporting by the awesome rock vocals of Richie Edwards. A perfect match.
The songs are all great. Not a single filler, and a lot of variation, but not too much so that you find the album disjointed.
There's a few potential commercial singles, but thankfully they sit nicely with the rest of the (heavier) songs and don't sound out of place at all.
I'd played the album around 10 times when it suddenly became a "repeat play" album - something which doesn't happen too often with me these days. The only song I do skip is the final one O Whereo my beero, which is ok but a little pedestrian compared to the sheer quality before it.
I checked out how the album and singles had done just now and couldn't believe how lacklustre the sales have been. The Darkness' hype obviously made the difference because this albums kicks both of their albums into touch and deserves so much more.
Awesome songs, awesome singing, awesome riffing. Buy it.
on 15 July 2008
What I liked about The Darkness was that the songs were good, I got the humor, and the band was absolutely killer! I sometimes got tired of the Justin's vocals, though.

The Stone Gods are not that similar to The Darkness, except for the fact that it is the same band and they're still just as amazing! This is a very strong hard rock album with solid songs all the way through. Drummer Ed Graham still lays down a groove like all of my favorite AC/DC songs, and Dan and Ritchie's guitar work is in top form, as there are tons of great riffs, and lots of great playing. Ritchie's vocals are quite a bit different than Justin's were, but I *much* prefer Ritchie's!

This album reminds me a bit of the excellent Canadian band Sword from the 80's, but I really prefer the Stone Gods. It's too bad that US radio is so useless these days, because Don't Drink The Water, Where You Coming From, and Lazy Bones would all make awesome singles.

If you're looking for one of the best hard rock albums in a long time and one of the best hard rock debuts this decade, don't hesitate -- buy it immediately. This will be a band to watch. I hope they come to the US.
on 21 June 2008
I got hold of a preview of this album, and being big fan of the darkness a few years back, I was expecting to be disappointed.

I was hooked from the very first track BURN THE WITCH, which I believe is their first single, which ends with a bit of thrash metal stylee guitar shredding. This band are a lot heavier than the darkness ever were, and I don't think can be seen as a novelty band which was a kinda label that the darkness couldn't really shake.

I have had this cd for a week, and its been playing in my works van non-stop on repeat....it's a catchy album!

The bands seem to have gelled well with new addition of Toby MacFarlaine (out of Graham Coxons band), and Ritchie Edwards seems to have taken over well at the mic.

There's not quite as many of the thin-lizzy inspired twin lead guitar-work on here as on the darkness, as I suspect Ritchie is playing rythm guitar, and not dabbling too much.

There's influences you can here from a few artists....some acdc, and a little thin lizzy in places (as with the darkness), track 12 has DEFINITELY got a reminicence of Def Leppard about it.

I can't pick out a bad track on here, like I say its been playing non stop in my van, and I think it will be for quite some time.

This is what the darkness SHOULD have been like!!

I hope Stone Gods have huge success with this album, and I hope many folk will be as pleasantly surprised by this cd as I were.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It's amazing how The Darkness sounded like a bit of a novelty act, but if you remove lead singer Justin Hawkins from the mix and put guitarist brother Dan in charge of proceedings, you're left with an excellent, respectable metal band which you just have to take seriously. That's not to say that all of the fun has been taken away from the music, far from it - there's some truly enjoyable, uplifting stuff on Stone Gods' debut and a few musical jokes (like a brief calypso interlude on 'Don't Drink The Water', for example), but at least Dan can begin to gain (or rebuild?) a reputation as a musician instead of as merely part of The Darkness, a group who nobody, despite their obvious musical technical ability, could really say were ever put alongside the real giants of rock or metal. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Stone Gods have made an album which will catapult them straight into the rock aristocracy, but 'Silver Spoons & Broken Bones' is a very good start.

There are a heap of great rock/metal songs on this album, most of which have the band's influences clearly on display. 'Burn The Witch' is a quality opener, with more that a little hint of Megadeth or even Metallica at their most commercial. The storming 'You Brought A Knife To A Gunfight' is reminiscent of AC/DC and has a great - and amusing - chorus. Possibly the most surprising track on this album is 'Magdalene Street', a melodic, jaunty piece of sixties-influenced pop/rock which, apart from the vocals, sounds as if it could have been a track on release by Cast or The Coral. My favourite track here is probably the stomping rocker 'I'm With The Band', which sounds like a classic AC/DC cut and boasts some excellent guitar work. 'Start Of Something' is catchy pop-metal which is reminiscent of the best output of the 'hair metal' bands in the late 80's. Their debut single, the heavy 'Knight Of The Living Dead' is also one of the picks of this collection and features an instantly singable chorus. Perhaps the only superfluous song here is the last track on the album, 'Oh Whereo My Beero', which oversteps the silly mark and, as a consequence, doesn't quite work for me. Proof, maybe, that the spirit and excesses of The Darkness aren't yet dead and buried.

This is simply a very good rock/metal album, with enough great riffs, vocal performances, humour, variety of styles and changes of pace to make it continuously interesting and enjoyable. For fans of the different styles and genres of rock & metal throughout the years, you can also have an enjoyable game of 'spot the influence' with this album and, although some of the songs are perhaps a little musically derivative, there's nothing wrong with harvesting the best of a style of music and then adding your own ideas to it and, because of this, Stone Gods are a real success. Dan - if you're ever tempted to get back with Justin and he starts bleating about blood being thicker than water, don't listen to anything he says. You're much better off without him.
on 28 August 2008
Now I know a lot of people will instantly dismiss this album because it features 3/4's of The Darkness but thats their loss.

Now i loathed The Darkness but I knew somewhere in the queen rip off merchants there was potential and finally I'm pleased to say they have unlocked some of that said potential.

SS&BB is a good solid Rock album with Metal moments think AC/DC laced with Metallica opening track "Burn The Witch" has got a great riff's and a catchy courus. "You Brought A Knife To A Gun Fight" has the mentioned AC/DC swagger and attitude.

My personal fave's are the more heavier tracks like "Defend Or Die" and "Knight Of The Living Dead" which have the cool straight up Metal riffage throughout.

However this album isn't without it's flaws and the cheesy moment's are still there "Don't Drink The Water" is one track I cannot get into as the lyric's are really bad (basically a song about going Benidorm on holiday)

But minus that this is a really good album and by the time drinking anthem "Oh Where 'O My Beero" comes you've forgotten all about that song.

Hopefully now these boys get the credit they deserve as they now are making music not for the money but for the pure enjoyment of it and with this album you can tell.
on 22 August 2008
Stone Gods recently formed as Dan Hawkins (The Darkness), Ed Graham (The Darkness) and Richie Edwards (The Darkness). Oh, and Toby MacFarlaine, who replaces Richie on bass, while he switches to guitar.

So that's the Stone Gods. But what about their music?

Well, as you'd expect, there are obvious hints of The Darkness to be heard. However, it is on rare occasions and SG have formed a good sound of their own. Tracks like 'Burn The Witch' tease us with Metal (80's thrash and contemporary), as does 'Defend or Die' and 'Knight of the Living Dead'.

It isn't all Metal though, although they rock harder than The Darkness did, in all honesty. There is more variety here. Richie's vocals are flexible and he sings anything from ballads ('Magdalen Street') to rock power-ballads ('Makin' It Hard', 'Start of Something') and the Metal of the aforementioned tracks.

Dan Hawkins's guitaring is as excellent and articulate as ever, and Dan Graham's drumming is sharp and cohesive. MacFarlaine adds a good sound and his own ideas ('Magdalen Street') to the band.

Overall then, a decent enough album, and I reckon things can only get better for SG.

Who needs Justin Hawkins anyway? These guys have proved they don't. Great album. 9/10.
on 7 July 2008
Forget about Justin Hawkins, in fact forget about the Darkness. The Stone Gods blew me away and this is just their first album. If you have ever wanted to see a Phoenix rise out of the ashes, this album is the next best thing. Cause thats what this album feels like. The whole album is just brilliant, and it is very hard to pick a track which stands out, as they are all very good. If you were a fan of the Darkness, I would suggest buying this album. I was, and after listening to this album, I honestly believe these guys deserve every bit of success they get.
on 9 October 2008
I'd never really liked the Darkness, but this is a different kettle of fish.

Varied songs and styles from start to finish, all played with some polish, yet keeping the basics of good solid guitar-based rock 'n' roll close to the fore. Lots of eclectic moments from other bands here (I kept thinking of Def Lep, and even, dare I mention it, NightRanger...)

50 minutes of enjoyable music to drive to, work to, do anything to, basically. Worth the money.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was never a fan of the Darkness with the screechy Justin Hawkins lording it over everything. The only saving grace was that they kept guitar based rock in the charts and in the public eye I suppose. But now they have got rid of the dandy the rest of the band can get on with doing what they so obviously did and now do well.

They Rock!

Other reviewers have nailed the influences, but to me all you need to know is that this is good, old-fashioned yet bang up to date heavy rock.

There are more riffs per minute here than we probably deserve, the vocals are well handled by Richie Edwards, who can shout sing, scream and lets face it sing as well as anyone on the scene right now.

Vying with Airbourne for rock album of the year so far.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A strong debut from the boys. This is defintely heavier and harder than The Darkness. The main issue most people had with that band was Justin's annoying vocals - that is no longer a problem. The jokey lyrics and humour have gone too, which will please some people but not everyone. It's a more varied album than either of the Darkness ones, but without the overproduction of the last one. The musical influences remain much the same in Stone Gods, but now the heavy riffing and speed of Metallica is added to the mix on some songs as well. I've seen this band live twice now and they certainly deliver the goods.