5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!
Published on 8 Oct 2011 by Mrs. C. Levett

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
This is better than "In My Own Words" but I'm finding that the only songs I really like from Ne-yo's albums are the ones he's released as singles with one or two exceptions.
Published 23 months ago by Donna Peary

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 8 Oct 2011
Mrs. C. Levett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
I have to admit, being aged 50+, I had never heard of Ne-Yo. I heard the first song on this CD, Closer, sung by a live singer in a pub. I absolutely fell in love with this song. The singer sung it again at my request. The next day I did a search on 'youtube' for Closer. I found it and so then I knew it was sung by Ne-Yo. I decided to buy this CD just so that I would have this one track even though I did not know any of the other tracks. I was prepared not to like the rest of it. How wrong I was! It is currently my favourite CD, the one I always put on first. I would say it sounds (to me) like a mix of Stevie Wonder, Blue and Craig David. Very pleasant, catchy and easy listening. I would recommend this CD. I'm so pleased I found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Album From A True Gentleman!, 31 May 2009
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
I must be at the age when I roll my eyes if I see a "parental guidance" sticker on a CD cover - and they are becoming more and more common. So how truly refreshing to find a beautiful album of fresh songs from a young man who celebrates the ladies in his life - no "bitches" or "ho's" on THIS album.

Not to say that this is nothing but romantic ballads! The women in Ne-yo's life have trials and tribulations to contend with. "Single" tells of the woman let down by her boyfriend but going out to a club anyway. "Miss Independent" is a modern young woman who knows what she wants, and where she is going. "Why Does She Stay?" has the man wondering how his woman can live with a man who does little round the house whereas the touching "Fade Into the Background" tells of watching a former lover get married and attending the reception - and realising you should not have let them go. "Mad" reminds us of the importance of kissing and making up after a row.

Every track is stunning and this is definately an album that will be played again and again - with fresh pleasure discovered at every listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I have heard in a long while., 30 Oct 2008
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
Just bought this album on the weekend and have not stopped listening to it since. For me it is a natural progression from the last album. Other reviewers have complained of the likeness to Micheal Jackson. Yes, there is a hint of Michael Jackson in there but that's not a bad thing. Think Jacko in his heyday of Thriller or Bad and you will get the idea. Anyway, I personally think that Prince is more of an influence to Ne-yo's singing style than anyone else.

This album really is Ne-yo's best work. Its a combination of smooth R'n'B and pop. It is a very slick album - top notch production and writing. My favourite tracks are Closer , Part of the list, Stop this world and Single. In fact, the only track that hasn't hooked me is Nobody. As an album the mix of R'n'B ballads, like "Part of the List", and more uptempo beats, like "Single", really works. It's the kind of album you can listen to all the way through without reaching for the skip button.

My advice is, if you are into R'n'B then go for it and buy this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's to the year of the gentleman!, 5 Mar 2009
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
This is the first album by Ne-Yo that I have bought. My mind was made up after hearing "Closer" and "Miss Independent". So, although it was a bit of a risk having only heard two tracks, I am glad to say that my risk has paid off.
"Closer" opens the album, instantly drawing you in. The song is catchy and also classy.
"Mad", another recent single, is a beautiful ballady style song about not wanting to go to bed straight after an argument.
Other notable tracks include "Fade into the Background", "Single", "Miss Independent" (obviously) and "Lie to Me".
What I love about this album, and this may make me sound a bit like a prude, is that Ne-Yo does not need to resort to overtly sexual material or swearing in order to make good music. He has a lovely smooth voice which makes you believe in the sentiment that he is a gentleman. And, although like all girls I like a bit of rough at times, there are also times when you want someone a little more sensitive. Ne-Yo fits that bill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cool!, 28 Jan 2010
Great album! I think he sounds like a modern Michael Jackson. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a can't keep still album!, 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
Loving this! It owes so much to Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones, but hey, that is no bad thing. This has to be one of the best produced R&B albums of the past few years. Slick, smooth and sexy. Every time I play this I just can't keep still -I just need to dance and move to the beat. Always a joy to play it. I dare you to keep still when it is on. Even my boring-old-fart-husband taps his feet and asks "who is this again?". Great too for a working out at the gym.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bad bo of R and B is back, 28 Oct 2008
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
This album is immense, forget the singles you have heard and the mans image, the album tracks. The album is mostly made up of songs that Ne-Yo has been making with his mate usher and wycliffe from the refugees who is his dad. Track one tells of Ne-Yo's recent trouble with gambling addiction and O.C.D. that ended his relationship with Grace Jones. The last song is a fitting tribute to puff daddy who has recently been diagnosed with Chrome's disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing!, 16 April 2009
LMW (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
totally recommend this album - all the songs are brilliant. I have listened to it every day since I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 2 April 2009
Ms. T. Iyiola "Omolomo" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
I bought the CD after reading peoples review of it, if ur planning to buy this CD do go for it it gives different kind of tempo if u hear one u dnt like press next when ever lm in my car l listen to number 1 skip 2 and frm 3 it takes me to a level that l love while driving

It is a good collection of easy listenning and fast tempo music TYC take ur choice its ur money and ur CD u can rew or ff if u want u decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!!!, 15 Feb 2009
Katie Brown (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Year Of The Gentleman (Audio CD)
wow!! this album is great. A timeless collection. Go and buy it now you won't be dissapointed.

Year Of The Gentleman
Year Of The Gentleman by Ne-Yo (Audio CD - 2008)