Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2008
I often see and hear people go on about how 'Hed Kandi aren't the same anymore', or are 'too commercial' now.

You know what? I don't know (or care) if that's true. But what I DO know is what sounds good, and Hed Kandi's Summer Mix 2008 SOUNDS GOOD! This CD defines summer for me, it's full of summer anthems, some commercial, some not so much, but it all blends together for a near perfect mix of summer house tunes.

There's 3 different styles of house (Twisted Disco, Disco Kandi and Disco Heaven) within this collection, my personal favourite being the first CD, because I love the dirtier side of house.

If you're a fan of dance or house in general, get this CD. It's perfect music for a BBQ!
on 6 February 2009
Well, what a year 2008 was for Hed Kandi. Considered by many as the make or break year for the label after 2 years of hit and miss, dubious releases. Following the Ministry of Sound mantra of quantity over quality, many supporters were fleeing the label to re-unite with Mark Doyle at Fierce Angel, only to discover that he had lost the plot as well. Dear me... Anyway on to the Mix Summer 2008:
I get the feeling that the producers of this album were going through an experimental stage with this release. While it has many qualities, like the smooth, flowing mixing and the undercurrent of quality - particularly with remixes from big names like Out Of Office and Aussie electro masters Vandalism, it isn't completely flawless.
Disc 1 is unusually hard for a Kandi release, with many of the current big produces in electro shoving their oar in where it really wasn't welcome. Remixes of Daniel Bedingfield and Adele are, in my view, completely at odds with what Hed Kandi is about, but these poor choices were saved by electro dynamite from Vandalism and Laidback Luke.
Disc 2 is more traditional HK, featuring more vocal house but still with an electro slant. Highlights include Sometimes, Salvation and No Promises, which are unfortunately joined by Show Me Love AGAIN.
Disc 3 finishes Kandi proper. Ron Carrol, Shena and ATFC all make appearances with varying levels of success.
All in all, a curious album, that I can't make out who it'll appeal to. Its too soft for hard electro fans, and too hard for traditional HK buyers... Have a pop at it and see what you think, if theres one thing to say about it - its definitely a break from the norm!
on 12 July 2008
Faultless compilation and the best I've heard from Hed Kandi for a while, CD2 is in my opinion outstanding with not too many obvious tunes but well programmed and full-on and funky you can't go wrong with this one "Buy it"!
on 10 July 2008
Having just got back from another amazing trip to the amazing Isle of Ibiza, I'm writing this review while listening to this Album.... again

So many memorable tracks that bring me back to El Divino on a Saturday 'Hed Kandi's' big night in Ibiza Town Port.

Also makes me think of the Planes flying above on a late afternoon at Bora Bora, enjoying a Sangria or more with friends, new and old

The tracks that especially stand out run in sequence from Miracle by Deepest Blue, then Reach Out, Paramount, Something Real, Salvation and what has to be the anthem of 2008 Show me Love (Payami Remix).... what a tune. Too many good tracks to list and I just had to share the love with this review as it had to be said

The only problem I see now for Hed Kandi is how are they going to better this release?

tom
on 21 August 2008
Ignore the politics of Mark Doyle, Hed Kandi, Fierce Angel, honestly ignore that. The track listing on CD1, the apparently "twisted side of dance" begins with a remix of an Adele track and then a Daniel Beddingfield song. Robin S appears somewhere on one of the other mindless cds yet again with show me love for the 345th time this year.
Nuff said, for those of you with a tenner to spend save it for a kebab, this album is beyond credible and yes, I bought it