on 14 March 2013
Yes, spending £20 odd on a grater does seem decadent doesn't it? Well if I'd bought one like this 25 years ago I wouldn't have wasted a stack of cash on useless graters that make grating a real task. Since getting a Microplane grater I only cook things that need something grating. Or I'll just grate stuff for fun. You can grate sponges with this, and cat biscuits. I make an effort to find new things to grate. Its great.
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2012
I bought this after my plastic Microplane grater gave up the ghost after about a year. As others have described, the plastic one developed cracks around the edge and eventually broke. In comparison the quality of this one is excellent and I particularly like the fact that it has a non-slip end so you can rest it on the board while you are grating.
I only have one Microplane and I chose the coarse one over the fine model - seems adequate for what I want to do.
on 30 April 2013
A good sharp grater, but not coarse. More like fine/medium. I already have a fine, and a ribbon grater, and the results from all 3 are much the same.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2012
I never thought I would be enthusiastic about a grater but this is so much better than any I have ever used before. It feels very comfortable in the hand and is so sharp that cheese just glides off with very little pressure. Harder foods like carrots are also easy to grate. It's simple to use and easy to clean. I've always had the multi purpose type of grater before which has several graters in a sort of pyramid shape and they're not great fun to clean.

Don't get carried away and grate your fingers though. I suspect it would be easy to do this if you had a lapse of concentration. But for small jobs where you don't want the hassle of getting out the food processor, this is ideal.
on 10 February 2013
As far as microplanes go, this is a great one! It has a lip on one end so you can hook it over your bowl/plate and it won't fly off while you are grating.

Arrived quickly too.
on 21 April 2012
This does exactly what it promises to do! The handle is easy to hold and non-slip and the grater itself is very sharp, I tend to use it for chocolate, ginger and some very hard cheeses.
on 28 December 2011
Good produce, handles hard cheeses, nutmeg, garlic and others like ginger easily and produces an easily usable fine product without hard beffort. Mind your fingers
on 4 September 2011
The original.. and best! Excellent hand grater, feels very sturdy and I have no doubt that it'll last for ages. If I had to nit pick, I'd say that the only annoyance I did have was removing the stickers from the back of the grater! They left an annoying sticky residue which is pretty hard to get off of a sharp perforated surface!
on 13 July 2015
Word of advice: buy some plasters as a precaution!

This thing is SHARP. And the plastic guard should be clipped on and off - don't even think about trying to slide it off. I did, and that's where the plasters come in. I assume my fingerprints will grow back in a week or so!

I bought it mainly for grating ginger for making curries. I can't believe I put up with my old one for so long. It can completely grate a couple inches of ginger root in 30 seconds or so - again, be careful as your fingers get close to the screen otherwise you'll spill blood.

The only (slight) negative is that it is coarser than my old coarse microplane. I'm not sure if I like that or not, yet, but I will now buy the medium and fine versions to complete the set.

The old adage about getting what you pay for was never more true. This might be more expensive than other versions, but it IS the real deal.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2013
The first purchase was for one of these graters and with the success of this there was no option but to go for a couple more. It may be more expensive than the average grater but once used you know that it is value for money and would not want to go back to the cheaper models.

See one answered question