5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate prints at last !
I purchased Epson's R2880 to replace my trusty Epson 1270 photo printer which, after 9 years producing excellent prints finally gave up the ghost. I was keen to see what improvements had been made in 9 years of development.

Published on 31 July 2008 by Mr. Roy Foreman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality prints but poor documentation and expensive ink
I bought this to replace an R800 that was showing banding on photos and which the local Epson service agent was unable to fix.
Published on 29 Dec. 2008 by Stpehen K. Knibbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate prints at last !, 31 July 2008
Mr. Roy Foreman (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)

The printer is quite large but easy to assemble, and the software installation proceeded with no problems. Reviews say that the new printer interface is an improvement on the old one. I dissagree with this. It's still good, but not an improvement.

So what were the first prints like ? A bit dissapointing - too washed out with weak colours. So I reduced the brightness and increased the contrast in the printer preferences and the results were then very good indeed. In fact the colours matched exactly those on the monitor screen, something I have never been able to achieve before.

Although the R2880 has higher resolution than the 1270, this did not show in the prints. What did show was the printing speed - just over 2 minutes to do an A4.

The pigment inks do not soak into the paper like dye inks do, but sit on the surface, so the resulting prints are not as glossy but still very good. An they should last a lifetime.

Would I reccommend this printer. You bet. The results really are very good indeed and the printer feels well made. I have printed many thousands of images over the years on several different printers, and the R2880 gives better results by far. Enough said.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality prints but poor documentation and expensive ink, 29 Dec. 2008
Stpehen K. Knibbs (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
It was easy enough to set up and the prints look great. I used genuine Epson ink and premium glossy photo paper with Photoshop colour management (the software installation automatically added the R2880 colour profiles to the Photoshop print menu). Blacks are particularly good - the R800 blacks had a warm colour cast. Bright colours are possibly slightly better in the R800 but there's not much in it. However, the R800 was very poor at printing dark greens.
Speed is very slow on max quality setting but on standard setting much faster and I couldn't see any difference in quality - even under a magnifying glass.
However, I was very disappointed when, after 3 days, I did a nozzle-check. The printer went into an extended cleaning cycle and then showed that one of the nozzles was blocked. I did another nozzle check and again it did a cleaning cycle before printing the nozzle check pattern. This appeared to use around £12 worth of ink, although it's difficult to tell as the ink-level window doesn't give a very accurate display - earlier versions of the printer status monitor at least had graduation marks against the displayed ink levels.
There is no printed manual supplied and the electronic manual doesn't mention this behaviour. I've now seen similar complaints in the US Amazon web site.
Next time I did some printing the problem didn't happen and the nozzle check was fine, so maybe this is just a teething problem.
So overall, I am happy with it but a bit nervous of the apparently random cleaning cycles and the amount of ink that gets used as a result - the R800 would check the nozzles and then give the option of nozzle-cleaning or not. Especially disappointing as Epson are supposed to have improved the nozzle and ink technology so why so many cleaning cycles? Then again, if it makes the printer last longer than my R800, perhaps it is worth it.
Summary:
Very good colours
Excellent blacks and greys
Good speed on standard quality setting
Max quality setting appears to be no better than standard setting
Worrying, unpredictable and expensive automatic nozzle cleaning (not described in the manual)
No printed manual.
Although I have not used Epson's support service for this printer, experience with previous printers have left me unsatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best print results so far, 7 Mar. 2009
Mr. David J. Theobald "Dave Theo" (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
I've had this printer 1 week now and have only printed to epson archival matt paper so far.
Results are very encouraging for the first batch of prints. Mono prints are excellent with no colour cast that I suffered with by now defunct R1800.
I've found the best results are to print straight from photoshop using the supplied profiles for epson paper, and disabling the color management.
Cons: If you need to change cartridges (Matt black to Photo black), it takes ages to purge out the old ink and is quite wasteful. Sometimes it doesnt recognise the change and needs the printer switched off and on again.
Its best to do a batch of printing on matt or gloss to avoid frequent swaps.
Why didnt epson make it to hold both blacks at the same time - like my old printer?

5.0 out of 5 stars definatly one for the serious photographer - excellant quality prints, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
having had hp printers before and had nothing but problems in setting up proper colour workflow with poor color reproduction of calibrated monitor colours and with no assistance from hp i decided to change to epson based upon reviews on various photography web sites

the printer arrived promptley - set up was simple and clear - within half an hour i printed my first image using the supplied print profiles - what a revelation - colours were spot on and the quality of the print was superb - i have now printed on various different media and each time i have been blown away by the quality - yes it seems to take an age to print an A3+ at best but it is worth it - i cannot recommend it highly enough - be aware that if you run the printer from a print server that you need to ensure you have the latest "n" technology as the print files are large and the print time increases dramatically - swapping black print cartridges when printing black and white is wasteful of ink so make sure you plan your printing to do batches of colour and black and white - however the quality of the B&W prints is superb and worth it

for anyone reasonably serious about photo printing this is a superb printer easy and intuitive to use and sits exceptionally well in a managed colour workflow - buy one !!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Printer I have ever owned!, 8 Aug. 2009
P. Cross "northern-visions.co.uk" (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
I have used this printer solid for the last 2 weeks. And up to now, I have had not one bit or bother with it!

The colour reproductions is as good as any "professional" print I have ever purchased. And the fine detail is 1st class. The only problem I have had, is getting the monitor calibrated to the printer. But thats easily solved, or you can buy the gear for doing it for you.

Its extremely easy to set up, and install. The software is good, but not totally straight forward, takes a little time to perfect the settings. But stick with it, because when your done its worth the wait.

As for ink consumption, I have printed about 20 4x6, and 15 A4 prints. And have used approximately half of the ink in some of the cartridges. Which I think is reasonable. You will find that you use a fair amount of black ink though, if you swap between the 2 blacks. Once you swap the black cartridge, it has to purge the remaining ink out of the reservoir. So dont swap until you have to, and get it all out the way in one go.

But for the price, I think its definately worth the it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer for semi-commercial artists and photographers, 29 May 2011
TobyToby (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
The Epson R2880 is now quite a mature printer, having been around for a couple of years. That says a lot in itself - Epson - if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

This is a marvellously understated, superbly competent, reliable and well built printer, and produces some amazing quality (ie saleable!) archival-life prints provided that you have sorted out your colour managed workflow.

I bought this printer because:
1) Really long life prints (I want my prints - especially ones I sell or exhibit - to last a long time and not fade - this printer uses excellent pigment inks that ensure this)
2) Ability to hook up a CIS (continuous ink systems) if bulk printing becomes necessary - there are loads of third party ink systems out there for the R2880
3) Ability to handle wide range of papers, including bulk paper on the roll and thicknesses - I use 5x7 for testing or archive purposes, all the way to A3 depending on requirement
4) Ability to turn off printer colour management in the driver and let lightroom use the correct ICC profile for the paper (note you must properly calibrate your monitor) - what you get on a print matches what you do on screen.
5) ICC profiles are available for pretty much all papers for this printer - the third party paper support is excellent.
6) You can buy third party bits and bobs - e.g. waste ink systems which just make owning it so much more straightforward.

Any downsides? None - at the price (I know it seems expensive), you get so much for your money, and such good quality prints - you are buying into a whole printing system with unbeatable support from third party companies.

Just to balance some of the more negative reviews:
1) I don't get the whirring and constant nozzle checks some have reported - I use it every couple of days and it just turns on with minimal fuss.
2) Ink use - does not seem at all excessive to me - but I only use it for photography/artwork at quality settings - I have a £40 Canon printer for day to day "business" printing, so don't waste high quality ink on printing documents.
3) Reliability and build quality - superb, solidly constructed, substantial, but small enough to use in a third bedrooom.

I'm really pleased I bought this printer - I was tempted by the Canon Pixma Pro 9500, but it just doesn't have the same level of third party support (e.g. CIS) - I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Epson R2880, especially to artists and photographers needing to produce high quality output on a budget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, pity about customer service, 25 Mar. 2009
Bill Ab. (Ballyclare, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
I purchased my R2880 printer in September 2008 and should have known better than to purchase another Epson printer. Everybody should take note that after you have had the printer for more than 30 days, if a fault develops, they will only replace it with a reconditioned substitute. I purchased an Epson A4 printer 2 years ago and didn't remove it from the box until 6 weeks after purchase. It was faulty from day one. An Epson engineer attended and wanted to replace my new printer with a substitute which looked as though it had been kicked up and down the street. After a long and frustrating battle and with the help of a Digital Camera magazine it was eventually replaced with a new one. My new R2880 developed a fault after just two weeks. It kept insisting on constantly recharging the ink cartridges until they were drained. This corrected itself after a couple of days, until in March 2009 the same problem arose, only much worse. I contacted Epson who agreed the printer was faulty. They arranged for an engineer to attend on a set date. My wife and I spent the full day at home and nobody appeared. I contacted Epson by e-mail and didn't even get any explanation or apology. They simply replied that due to a shortage of parts they would not replace my printer until one week later. They further said that it would be replaced with a quality assured reconditioned one. I have wasted 4 new cartridges (about £45 worth of ink), with no prints to show for it, because of a faulty product. Epson offer no compensation for this.

So what about the printer itself? If you want the best possible quality prints with true blacks and great colour then look no further than this printer. The down side as outlined by previous reviews is that if you want to use the matt black you need to change cartridges, and then all cartridges will be recharged, wasting very expensive ink. The lack of a printed manual is also irritating.

The bottom line is that if there is another printer out there which you think might be better than the R2880 then go for it. If I had a better choice I wouldn't touch any Epson printer with a barge-pole. I have been an Epson fan for many years but be warned, take the risk if you wish, but expect to be treated with contempt by customer services. How do they get away with their '30 day dead on arrival' policy which seems to fly in the face of the Sale of Goods Order? If I were to rate the product guarantee and customer services they wouldn't even get one star. Keep your fingers, legs and anything else crossed if you purchase any of their products!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Epson Stylus Photo R2880 Photo Printer, 15 May 2009
A. Wood "Al142" (Nantwich, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
As I bought this printer fairly recently, I am still in the process of trying different aspects of printing. My previous printer, a 1290S, was temperamental and printed very poor black and white with colour casts. I had started to use a commercial printer for anything important. This printer, so far has been excellent. I have used ICC profiles as well as the automatic printer settings. For most colour applications, the automatic printer setting ie 'Printer Manages Colours' in Photoshop, has been fine. I have been unable to differentiate between them and my colour managed prints. I have tried black and white on Epson Premium Glossy paper and there is no colour cast. I am about to try art papers, which will need the black ink changing to the matte black cartridge. If these work as well as Epson Premium Glossy and Semi-Gloss, I will be delighted. I can see no need for the Pictbridge application - anyone buying such an advanced a printer would surely be using more sophistacted software to process their images. It took me ages to make my mind up to buy this printer because it is expensive and the ink is very expensive, but I am coming to the conclusion that the reduction in stress nd aggravation when I print my pictures is worth the outlay. I only awarded 4 stars because of the cost and low capacity of the ink cartridges.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but frustrating, 7 Feb. 2009
Mr. C. S. K. Walls (Chippenham, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
Good news: superb results; use Epson paper or Permajet with Permajet custom ICC profiles and you won't be disappointed. Bad news: the printer uses 9 ink cartridges and only has 8 slots so every time you swap between matt and gloss you have to manually change a cartridge, losing expensive ink in the process. Other Epson printers intelligently choose which permanently installed black cartridge to use, why not this one?

3.0 out of 5 stars Immense print quality - but poor paper pickup, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer (Accessory)
I'm afraid this will be brief, but to the point.

If you want incredible print quality for photos on gloss, satin, matt or HQ inkjet paper then look no further. Printing black and white is a dream. True b&w with the light black, light light black, and either the gloss black or matt black cartridge. Swapping over that cartridge whenever you want to switch paper from gloss to matt is a bit annoying, but hey ho, you learn to deal with it. Carts are expensive and there aren't any non-genuine ones out there for it other than the Lyson continuous ink system, which is an investment which might be worthwhile if you have a high print volume.

The way this printer performs badly is its paper pickup. It won't manage it and will need constant supervision. Not good for when I was an architectural student working to deadlines to come to pick up my prints that should have run overnight to find one or two printed and a paper feed error on the computer. Reliable it is not.

Luckily, I'm a creative soul and bought a generic A0 roll of satin photo paper for £40. Then I took it to the workshop and cut the A0 roll into 3 rolls of 40m x 329mm with the chop saw and used the roll feed function to get my prints out reliably. No paper feed error any more Mr Epson! Only need to guillotine each bit of paper, and the prints can come out back-to-back, or with a small gap depending on the print settings you choose. What's more, a satin roll of Epson paper specifically for their A3 roll feed printers will set you back £40-50 for 10m x 329mm. With my method I was getting 3 rolls for that price, and each of my rolls were 4 times as long as Epson's. I win. Note that because of the extra paper on the roll, it won't sit in the printer's roll holders until it has run down a considerable amount. I made a makeshift roll holder from a few bits of wood and a broom handle which worked just fine.

Hope this was useful, if a little blunt!