Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 December 2008
My husband asked me to get him this from Screwfix, they didn't have it in stock so thought I would check Amazon, glad I did, it was about £10 cheaper.
The 2 year warranty says a lot about a company that believes in their products.
The rechargeable battery that makes this cordless, is a good idea and all black and decker batteries are interchangeable, another good idea.
He didn't find this heavy and also found it easy to use. He cut branches down that was about 6inches thick, but mainly smaller ones and was well pleased with the results.
He liked the look and feel of this saw and how it handled too.
The synopsis tells you all about the specs so will not repeat it here.
A superb product for an awesome price.
on 10 February 2009
Perfect for small trees and branches, (up to 6/7ins thick) feels safe, with a short cutting 'blade' and anti kick back plate mounted on end. The 18v motor feels powerful enough without being scary and is quiet, compared to a petrol motor chainsaw.It does have an oil reservoir but does not come supplied with oil which they have neglected to tell you. If you want to get started right away order some with the item.It is very light and manoeuvrable being cordless, the battery life seems pretty good for the amount of cutting you can do with one charge. There is some assembly required and can be a bit fiddly to get the chain tension right.
I would have no trouble recommending this product. A great buy at a good price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 July 2010
Have to say was pleased that this is actually better than I expected - I only wanted a small, light chainsaw of occasional trimming and cutting - for this it is perfect. Far less messing and cleaner than a petrol chainsaw and no cable like a mains powered one.

Some people have mentioned battery life - if you are realistic it is probably fine - you want to do quite a bit of trimming, cutting - no problem - but if you have got 2 tons of wood to cut in one go - then it probably is not what you are looking for! It comes with a single battery and the charger is one of the standard (fairly dumb) 8 hour charger instead of one of the fast 1-2 hour chargers - but for the price I suppose that is to be expected.

However, here's a solution I found - if you may need a drill consider the 'Black & Decker HP188F4BK 18V Hammer Drill' - it comes with 2 x 18v batteries and the faster / smart charger. The batteries are interchangeable so that way you would have a total of 3 batteries (3 times the cutting time!) and a smart charger (plus the drill of course which is good as well). For the current selling price it's a great option as two of the 18v batteries on their own are about the same price as the drill, batteries and charger package - so you effectively get the drill and smart charger for free.

Overall would certainly recommend.
on 17 April 2009
I've owned one of these for about a month and while it cuts well when the battery is fresh out of the charger, I am only getting about 10 minutes of useful cutting time per full 8 hour charge. I'm only cutting branches about 3" - 4" in diameter (well within the spec) and the battery gives out after around ten to twelve cuts. I know batteries can take a while to reach peak performance, but after more than a dozen full charges I can see no sign of any improvement in battery life.
If it doesn't improve soon it will be going back.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2009
Seemed to be effective cutting back a small sycamore tree. Light and easy to use for a female, as I was worried initially about how it would handle.
Quite comprehensive instructions, but fiddled quite a while to get the chain tension correct. (In retrospect its similar to a bike chain) You do require to purchase some chainsaw oil with the product and luckily I noticed that someone else pointed this out. The battery takes a few hours to charge - however I found that the chainsaw operated for approximately 1 hour plus with no noticeable 'drop off' of power. A gardening friend also female helped and was also of the opinion that this was really easy to use and far easier than her handsaw. Would certainly recommend for ease of use and results.
on 17 November 2009
As I have a number of more conventional chainsaws the battery saw was ever only intended to provide a quick and convenient answer to the smaller tasks and this it does very well. I like the fact that the chain stops almost immediately you release the switch unlike the larger petrol or electric saws, a good safety feature particularly if you are off the ground. Its weak points are a poor oiling device and nothing on the battery to indicate charge level or even a light to show it's charging
on 9 May 2009
Only get about 5 mins continuous out of a full battery - cutting 10cm logs. I have 2 new batteries. Nevertheless very light, small and handy for thin banches about 5cm - you could get 10-15mins for this. Remember to get chainsaw oil and a funnel when you buy this - they are not included. Quite fiddly to assemble.
on 4 June 2009
I was looking for something that would cut branches and small logs, that was portable, light, not wired to the mains and easy to use.

This is it!

If anything, the chain oiling mechanism is not the best, difficult to squirt, and then somethins while it's stored it leaks.
Another drawback is the battery takes at least 8 hrs to charge and lasts only about 20 mins at full chat (and I couldn't buy the fast battery charger separately in the UK).

But the chainsaw cuts everything I want it to, even as wide as the length of the blade itself (although it takes its toll on battery life)
on 21 May 2009
Just what I was looking for. I'm a petite female over 50 and was looking for a chainsaw predominately for pruning tree limbs. This is light and easy to handle. It holds a charge long enough to be sufficient for the majority of jobs I would be looking to do (~1/2 hour of full on cutting).
on 28 January 2010
We bought a wood-burning stove during the summer but found while driving around that a lot of fallen timber was too long to fit in an Estate car, answer...this great little saw,it is light, can be used with 1 hand and is ideal for cuttingup to 4-5" branches to a convienient size. I get 25-30 cuts per charge which is more than enough to fill the car, then when I get home we have an electric saw for cutting to log length