5.0 out of 5 stars This will definitely keep me going until the next studio album!, 18 July 2008
Mr. Graham Cummings (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
I am a massive fan of Hybrid, and have been ever since 1999/2000 when I first heard their music, so readers of these comments may think that I am biased, but this review is a honest, unbiased opinion of what I think of the album.

It's a bit of a departure from the normal thread of Hybrid music, and I must be honest, this album was bit of an adjustment for me, having listened to Wide Angle, Morning Sci Fi, and I Choose Noise for the last few years. I was expecting upfront breakbeats, and you have to wait until around CD1 track 5 before there is any resemblance of a beat. So initially I was disappointed, but I listened to the first CD later on the same day, and I eased into the music a lot more. The quality of the atmosphere portrayed on the first CD is outstanding. I really hope that Hybrid integrate this soundscape feel into their next studio album as it's top notch, and the collaboration with Harry Gregson-Williams has been a smart move because the partnership works really well.

So the first CD is cracking, just don't expect any breakbeats. It's more like Chilled Out Europhia, but done extremely well.

The second CD is also very good, the mixes are done very fluidly, and none of the tracks become repetitive. The choice of remix tracks is very good, and on the whole, the CD sounds fresh. The quality of the tracks are on par with the classic techno and trance tracks from the late nineties (Cafe Del Mar, etc), and nothing like the Cascada-esque crud that pollutes the charts at the moment.

One last thing, the mastering of both CDs is fantastic. The clarity of the music is extremely crisp, and I really enjoy playing them in my car with the bass cranked up full. All-in-all, and excellent compilation and easily worth the money. Much better than the Hybrid Re:Mixed album that was an up-yours from Distinctive Records when Hybrid left them to join Hope.

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio perfection, 20 Aug 2008
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
If you're looking at this item and reading this review then you probably already know who Hybrid are and have an expectation of the quality of this album. Well, let me just assure you that the usual Hybrid quality and attention to detail is here in spades. Both CDs are a slight deviation from what you might expect from Wales' finest, especially on CD2 with its 4/4 beats, but it's only a slight deviation and definitely not a bad thing!

CD2 is a great mix in it's own right, but for me it's all about CD1, which is worth buying the album for on its own. "Cinematic" is the theme here, that movie-score sound that we have come to expect and love Hybrid for. While the mix incldes tracks from a variety of artists, each one sounds like it could have been produces by hybrid themselves (possibly the biggest compliment that could be paid to any of the artists in question!), and the mixing between these tracks is nothing short of sublime, in fact I'd go as far to say that the word "mixing" doesn't seem enough, a new word needs to be invented to describe the way the tracks have been seamlesly blended together. Put this CD on, turn the sound up, and float away in sonic bliss:-)

Fingers crossed for a Soundsystem_02 some time soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh and challenging mix from Hybrid, 8 Mar 2009
J. Mobbs "Sype" (Leicester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Hybrid for a long time, and am still eagerly awaiting their fourth album. To keep us occupied until the next album arrives, last year Hybrid put out Soundsystem 01, a unique journey through breakbeat, soundtrack and progressive dance music.

The two CDs are quire contrasting in style; CD1 combines electro ambient, light breakbeat and film soundtrack music, whilst CD2 focuses on the harder progressive side.

CD1 is the real gem here, the way each track is mixed into the next is perfect, taking the listener on a real journey from beginning to end. Highlights on this CD are the twisted beats of Trifonic's 'Parks On Fire', Hyrbid's own reworking of Harry Gregson WIlliam's 'Saladin' (originally taken from the move Kingdom of Heaven). 'Shadows of the City' has a brilliant vocal by Charlotte James, who will feature more on Hybrid's forthcoming album, and Ryuichi Sakamoto featuring David Sylvian 'World Citizen' offers a brilliant and atmospheric penultimate track, before a reworking of Harry Gregson Williams 'Man on Fire' theme which brings CD1 to a close.

CD2 is more familiar territory, which top tracks from progressive house veterans including Sasha (with the brilliant Spangled Rubdub mix of Coma), Quivver and Hybrid themselves. The highlight of this CD is Soliquid's 'Lonesfield', a great constantly building track with a monster of a breakdown.

Overall this is a near perfect mix CD. It's great to see Hybrid try something a bit different - with great effect. CD1 is the best downtempo mix I've heard in a long time, and whilst CD2 isn't in the same league and not nearly as groundbreaking, it's still a very competent mix with some great tracks.

The name Soundsystem 01 suggests this is the first in a series, so here's hoping that any future additions take a similarly fresh approach to providing the listener with a unique and challenging aural experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars good album., 2 Mar 2009
Mark Macknight "M.M" (edinburgh, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
as the last review says disc 1 is a down tempo outing its good but not something you would listen to before you go for a night out, more for listening to on a sunny afternoon. Disc 2 has a good mix of prog house and techno with some hybrid mixed in. its a solid mix that builds from start to finish with a few peak time tracks thrown in.In my opinion the best tunes are the remix of Coma, Quiver-Surin, Hybrid's Formula of Fear and Elite Force- Shivva. If you like those kind of tracks disc 2 is for you, but disc one is only for the hybrid fans i would say. I bought my copy in hmv where i got it for 9 why its so expensive on here is beyond me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance, 10 Feb 2009
N114052 (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
For me, CD1 is CD of the 2008 year. It is melodic, tranquil and just sheer brilliant. If Hybrid makes another non remix album, I would love this sort of cinematic soundscape to be incorporated into it. From the start to the last track being Lisa Gerard I just cannot stop playing it.
CD2 is not bad either but for me does not quite match CD1 although there are some great tracks on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely ruddy fantastic !, 27 Oct 2008
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
A fantastic double disk mix which I absolutely love. Fantastic selection of tracks and flawless mixing. CD 1 is chillout, but beautiful. CD 2 is a great example of prog house - every track is stunning, upbeat, melodic and musically interesting, and the mix wonderful (if you liked James Holden's Balance, you will love this). This has shot up there in my favourites. Perfect. If all mixes were as good as this I would be one happy bunny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!, 6 Oct 2008
Jeffrey Hoare (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
This one past me by when it got released but after spotting it and seeing the reviews I bought it straight away. I have not been dissapointed, this is Hybrid at their best. I found there last two albums slightly repetitive compared to their debut album - Wide Angle. By putting together a mix album, the album is nice and varied in style but always in an upbeat tempo.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes electronic music mixed with orchestral music like hybrids own material. In fact there is a few new tracks by them on this that are class.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10 Awesome Music for a Peaceful and Happy Mind, 13 Sep 2008
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
This album is just awesome. whenever i am tired i used to listen to highly entergetic trance music ( Sparkles - Tiesto)
this album will takes u to another world. awesome. also check out the album
Believe - Airwave.
sigur ros - ( )

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 18 Aug 2008
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
This is a beautifully constructed bit of work, one of those albums you will put on and listen to in its entirety, then slip the first disc back in and press play again. Building from a gentle, orchestral beginning, it draws you along with its richly layered and melodic arrangements. It would make a great road movie soundtrack. There are hints of the Hybrid breaks of old, but this is a journey at a gentler pace, drifting in and out of a variety of sounds and styles. All in all though, it's a great listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 4 Aug 2008
This review is from: Soundsystem 01 (Audio CD)
I got this not really knowing what to expect. Everything I have to say would be duplicating the other two reviewers with whom I completely agree. I listened to this through BOSE on ear headphones and it's breathtaking. Beautiful production. Can't recommend highly enough.

ARRAY(0xabacf624)

Soundsystem 01
Soundsystem 01 by Hybrid (Audio CD - 2008)