5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny man, 16 Oct 2008
James Moffatt (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Mr. Lee has been my favourite stand up ever since his first DVD release. I'm not going to give the set away, all I'm going to say is buy it if you like your humour witty, well constructed and with an original twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to Get This Show in the States!, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
I decided to check out Stewart Lee based on a recommendation from a friend who described him as possessing a very unique individual style, and after seeing some interviews and a few clips I was really interested. I really got the impression he was a stand-up comedian that cared about craft, presentation, and performance, and I respected that. It turns out that it is pretty difficult to get his DVD's in the U.S., so I was happy I could order 41st Best Stand-up from Amazon UK, and I loved it! I laughed my head off! Highly recommended...

4.0 out of 5 stars 41st Best Stand Up Ever, 8 Aug 2008
E Parry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
I'd been eagerly awaiting this DVD having missed the opportunity to go and see the show in Edinburgh, as I had done with 90s Comedian. I was, like other reviewers here, disappointed that the Delboy bit and the Mallard bit were missing as I had read reviews referring to them. It's perhaps more disappointing for me as I didn't get to hear those routines at all.

Stylistically this is closer to Stand-Up Comedian than 90s Comedian, the latter of which seemed to form one cohesive narrative and was like a single hour-long routine, while the former was a collection of routines. This set has a sort of narrative running through it about how Stew's mum thinks he's not as funny as an old 70s comedian she saw on a cruise holiday once, but essentially it's divided into sections.

On the whole it is intelligent and funny stuff from Stewart Lee, who in my opinion deserves to be in at least the top 5 on any Best Stand-Up list (but then, the point of the show in a way is that such lists are meaningless). To be perfectly blunt though, it's not as good as his other two DVDs. 90s Comedian was far more daring, intelligent, and provocative, while Stand-Up Comedian simply had better laugh-out-loud jokes. They were very different from each other but very good at the two different approaches they represented. This one is somewhere inbetween in every sense. It's good, but not as good as either of those.

Without giving anything away, the ending I found a little bit of a let down. 90s Comedian ended the set with a brilliant punchline, Stand-Up Comedian ended with a fairly below-average joke, this one ends somewhat unsatisfactorily. I first thought 'is that it?', but later found the ending quite poignant, so in a way it was a good or bad way to end the set depending on your viewpoint.

For those new to Stewart Lee I would recommend his DVDs in release order. That is; Stand-Up Comedian, 90s Comedian, then this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but..., 29 July 2008
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this show last year and really enjoyed it. This DVD is more or less exactly the same as the show I saw, but I was a bit disappointed that the "March of the Mallards" intro and "Delboy falling over and Trigg pulling a face" routine were missing which would have taken the gig to 90 minutes. In the extras, the interview with Johnny Vegas is really good - a 45 min serious discussion about the topics in the show - and the extract from his Pesticide gig was another nice extra.

Despite my mild disappointment (and Mallard routine is on youtube)this is a fantastic DVD and well worth adding to your comedy collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 31 July 2008
E. V. Croft - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent dvd from Stewart lee who deserves to be a much bigger star than many of his peers..

As previously mentioned there are a few bits missing from when he did the show live but theres still enough there to keep fans happy including some pretty good extras including an interview & the Pestival gig he performed.

Although i thought it was not as strong as his previous mainstream dvd with so little of his material available on Dvd its a very welcome addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stewart Lee is a genius!, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Five starts! Fantastic! I highly recommend this and all the other SL dvds, amazing! Can't wait to see him live!

5.0 out of 5 stars it's Stewart Lee, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
What do you want me to say? It's Stewart Lee. It's amazing. The man is amazing. End of really if you ask me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Best UK Stand Up, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Buy This. I bought one Stewart Lee DVD a while back and simply ended up buying all of them, now I am hopelessly addicted and watch them repeatedly, sometimes you miss the small subtleties. Brilliant is how I sum this up.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Stew's best, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Outstanding value as there is a lot of material included:

A 75 minute gig, 45 minute interview, 15 minutes of the Pestival gig and even five minutes from Stewart Lee - 90s Comedian [DVD].

Even if you've seen the gig itself, there is no way you should miss the story of Robert The Bruce and the spider told at the Pestival gig.

Comedy gold.

[edit:] The so-called "missing" pieces from the live set can be found as part of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle [DVD] where they were arguably explored to better effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would put him at 47th, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
After watching a number of clips on the internet, I was interested in watching the whole routine. It's very well written, structured and performed.

Stewart Lee '41st Best Stand Up Ever' [2008] [DVD]