5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Kung Fu
I had heard a lot of good things about this film so went for a blind buy having missed it in the cinemas. The film more than met my expectations.

The success of Kung Fu Panda is that it is serious about the Kung Fu element and that makes the panda part even funnier. This isn't some parody with pop culture references like Dreamwork's Shrek or Madagascar. The...
Published on 18 Nov 2008 by Thomas Eckert

3.0 out of 5 stars Panda Vs Tiger
Dreamworks has always lagged behind Pixar in several ways. Most obvious being the animation - although very good, it never seemed to be as perfect as Pixar's, and characters never seemed to interact as seamlessly with backgrounds as they ought to. But that's nit-picking, you don't notice that unless you are looking for it, and now it seems that Dreamworks have cracked it...
Published on 14 Feb 2009 by @GeekZilla9000

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, 25 July 2008
SHANN "SHANN" (England, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this film at the cinema which was packed with kids. They loved it and so did I. Its not the best but delivers some great humour, a different yet strong story within a length which is about right. I think there is a temptation to drag out films but this one was spot on. Is it worth buying? Yes but at a reasonable price. Resist the temptation to buy at full value and wait for it to come down after initial launch. Its a good film for sunday when you want to chill!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, but nonetheless brilliant..., 10 Aug 2008
R. Burgess (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [DVD] (DVD)
OK, you could probably figure out the ending of the movie in the first 10 minutes if you've seen enough chop-socky/ underdog overcomes adversity movies, but reaching that ending is still a huge amount of fun.
Jack Black and the many designers and animators have done a great job on Po the Panda, playing him as a hopeless wide eyed flabby fanboy that dreams of being a Kung fu master but who can't even climb upstairs without sweating buckets. You empathise with all his triumphs and setbacks and you want him to succeed. The range of facial expression is some of the best I've ever seen in an animated movie.
In lesser hands it could have been an uninspired trudge through training montage after training montage, but the choreography keeps it fresh and funny without the usual knowing references. The food-based training session reaches the dizzy absurdity of "Ranma 1/2" in it's head on collision between kung fu and food cravings.
The scenery is lush and the supporting performances, especially Hoffman as the impatient Master Shifu and McShane as the villainous Tai-Leung make their universe one that you're happy to explore for the duration.
I only dropped 1 star for predictibility, but in every other respect it's a triumph.
One of those rare movies that entertains kids and grown-ups in equal measure.

5.0 out of 5 stars One good film :D, 16 Nov 2008
Jane Field "Jane T" (Whitehead NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [DVD] (DVD)
This is actually a really great film! My dad took me to see it in the cinema, 'cos he thought it looked good. Even though I think Jack Black is fully amazing, and Jackie Chan is awesome, I didn't think I would enjoy it, since I'm not one for cartoons, even though I'm not that old. I could hardly stop laughing though! It's a great film, for kids and adults, and even the odd teenager, like me! I highly recomend it, if, like me, you love comedies! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Size doesn't matter..., 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
No spoilers just a few words on picture quality:
The first few mins of the film are in a comic book style but as soon as the normal cgi style kicks in the picture really comes alive with superb colours and pin sharp detail.

One for both the grown ups and the kids to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [DVD] (DVD)
I would happily watch this film over and over which is just aswell as my little ones love it just as much. A fabulous film with lots of laughs for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kung Fu Panda - Blu-Ray, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
An excellent film - very funny (I've lost count of how many times I've watched it and it still makes me laugh every time). Visually, it looks stunning, particularly the background environments which are bursting with colour (especially on Blu-Ray). The action and fight scenes are brilliantly executed and there is a particularly poignancy in the back story of Master Shifu's connection with the Tai Lung, the villian of the film.

One of Dreamworks' best - would recommended highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch this and go blind from over-exposure to awesomeness, 6 July 2010
M. Franklin (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [DVD] (DVD)
I was hesitant watching this at first, afterall it seemed a little childish to me, but my friend's kids seemed to like it so I persevered and boy was I glad I did. Although not previously a Jack Black fan I stand corrected and have been thoroughly swayed by his exemplary acting here. This movie will be the very vehicle that will catapault Jack Black to super-stardom, as the scene with his panda character on the rocket-powered palanquin so aptly prophesises.
This is Jack Black as you've never seen him before.

I did some internet research and was shocked to find that there are just 1600 pandas left in the wild. The signifigance of this is portrayed in the film through subtle overtures; the down-trodden and often victimised panda in many ways is given less social standing than the arguably more adorable animals, such as the tiger (another endangered species, but cuter).

Even the prison scene where the snow leopard villain shrugs off his chains of oppression demonstrates that "cute" animals often succeed more readily, however black their hearts may be.

Near the end we get the crucial scene where Po (or Jack Black, although I prefer to think of him as a panda) is forced to look into the mirror and confront some harsh realities about himself. Will he go on being a victim? The answer, thankfully, is no, and that message offers hope to pandas everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomorrow is a mystery..., 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am a long time fan of Kung Fu films, absolutely loving the old school Jackie Chan films like Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin, Drunken Master, etc. I take the genre pretty seriously, and was hesitant when I saw the title. I thought Dreamworks would just butcher the genre with some preconceived notions of China, Kung Fu and the inherent philosophy woven throughout. What I got was a very well reasearched and thought out film with true-to-life philosophy, kung-fu action and styles. The five masters, Snake, Crane, Tiger, Mantis, Monkey are not the original five but they are indeed an integral part of the kung-fu animal styles. For a cartoon, the fighting is just awesome, and Dreamworks really stuck to the tradition of kung-fu flicks, making well choreographed, and true-to-style fight scenes. This is also one of the funniest Dreamworks films I have ever seen, it kept me laughing throughout. Jack Black is brilliant as the voice of the Panda, really bringing the moods, and attitudes to life. Dustin Hoffman also does a great job as Master Shifu. Five stars for brilliant voice-overs, great action, great story, and the inherent philosophy woven thoughout. This film delivers a strong message about believing in one's self which makes it great for kids as well.

The blu-ray

Picture:

1080P Transfer is just brilliant. Dreamworks did not skimp on this and the film is just a treat to watch on blu-ray. Reference quality here, nothing bad to say whatsoever.

Sound:

Dolby True HD- WOW. This is probably the best DT soundtrack I have ever heard. The bass is huge, the soundstage clear and awesome, the sound filling your room to put you in the middle of the action and the thumping hard bass perfectly timed with the action sequences. This is not only reference material sound, but also a film to show off your subwoofer with.

Languages:

Dolby True HD- English

DD 5.1- Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish

Subtitles:

English, English SDH, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish

Region- Not mentioned anywhere on the cover or disc...

Summary- Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars KUNG FU PANDA A GRAND MASTERPIECE OF ANIMATION, 8 Dec 2009
Giang Levan "Fantasia" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I saw Kung Fu Panda on the big screen in a theatre and told myself I must have a copy of this movie when it is out on DVDs.
As a matter of fact, I have it both on DVD (so I can view it on my portable DVD player) and Bluray ( so I can view it in the best viewing media available now). I must have seen this movie at least 8 times since it was released. It's fun( just imagine a big clumsy Panda who wants to learn Kung Fu and you can see ) The setting of the movie is spectacular with Chinese scenery,palaces and architecture.Dreamworks animation is outstanding especially those kungfu fighting actions which are stunning. Dreamworks has set a new level of action animation. The expressions of the charaters are real first class (just look at the Panda's facial expression for example). It's a great entertainment for the family. It is humorous and full of humanity. I've loved animation since my first love for Mickey mouse and Donald duck and Walt Disney's Snow White and the 7 dwarfs...There are many animation masterpieces and this is one of them. By the way the Bluray gives crystal clear and ultra sharp pictures and colours, a lot better than the normal standard DVD ( My way of comparison this movie between the standard dvd and the bluray is like a step forward to colour from black and white)
It is truly a pleasure to watch Kung Fu Panda and I am very content and happy to have it in my animation Video collection and would recommend this masterpiece to anyone who appreciates animation and good family entertainment.My rating 5 stars out of 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars very funny childrens film, 4 Oct 2009
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda [DVD] (DVD)
This film is great for the kids!

My 6 year old son thinks it's fantastic and the little boy I childmind who is 2 loves pretending to be Po.

Great voices to the characters and a baddy that isn't too scary for the little ones.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

Kung Fu Panda [DVD]
Kung Fu Panda [DVD] by Mark Osborne (DVD - 2008)
4.25