4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch with a few niggles
I bought one of these about 3 months ago as a 'cheapie' watch and I really enjoy wearing it.

Published on 9 Jan 2012 by Music Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch but!!!
I purchased this watch for myself to replace my old Accurist watch which has become very tempremental and would stop working and need a complete re-set every time it recieved the slittest tap. My new watch was ordered on Saturday, ordinary 2nd class post and arrived Monday midday (nice one Amazon).
I wanted this particular watch as it needs no battery change...
Published 4 months ago by Derek Bourne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch with a few niggles, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Watch #JY0005-50E (Watch)

Firstly, this is a really well put-together watch. I have a number of other watches from Rolexes to Omegas to Breitlings and it is as well made as any of them. It is solid and well built and looks utterly stunning in black (IMHO better than the titanium and ss versions). You know the specs, solar powered, radio controlled, stopwatch, timer, the VERY useful TWO world alarms (which allows you to set two independent alarms in two independent timeszones - ie you may want an alarm to go off at 9am in London and another to go off at 9am in New York) etc.

As a pilot (commercial not a fighter pilot like the other reviewer) I do question the usability of the small LCD screens during turbulence and low light (I'll come on to this in a mo). I have a Breitling aerospace and the digital displays are as clear as anything but the small ones on this are not the easiest to read on the job and I would hate to have to read them on board a fast jet. The slide rule is great for quick calculations and I use it surprisingly often.

The 'niggles':

Well, as I said, the lcd screens aren't the clearest and are easily obscured by the hands.
The backlight does not work if you are in stopwatch or timer mode - pretty essential for flying at night and imho a stupid omission.
The date is slaved to the SECOND time zone and not the primary one. So, if you are in the UK and have the hands set for UK time, the date will be the date in Hong Kong and will be wrong for a large chunk of the day. Not the end of the world but again, a bit daft.
The '24 hour dial' is really pretty pointless and the 'Home Zone LCD Display' would be better served by being a date window (the date disappears if you are in any mode other than 'Calender')
And the biggie for me: The different functions are selected by pulling out the crown and twiddling it. It takes a bit of getting used to but even when you've 'mastered it' is still quite fiddly. Also, if you pull it out two clicks rather than one (which is EASILY done) it has a totally different function and can often be a pain to undo. Why they just didn't put an extra button on I have no idea.

The niggles aside, it's a great value watch and is hugely functional. It looks good and I think you'll enjoy wearing it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch but!!!, 16 Feb 2014
I wanted this particular watch as it needs no battery change (hopefully) and self adjust's the time via radio signal. To put it bluntly it looks great and it's very low maintainence. Take it out of the box and the date and time are set, all you need to do is adjust the strap. with a little help from a video on Youtube this was soon done and 5 links shorter the watch fits like a dream.
However after waring the watch for 4 days a real problem came to light. I work in an office all day and believe me when I say I dont come into contact with anything more abrasive than a wooden desktop. Despite this by Friday my beauiful black watchstrap is showing definate signs of wear and is now my silver and black watchstrap. FOR A TIMEPEACE THAT THAT COST'S OVER 300 AND HAS A RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE OF ALMOST 400.00 THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
MY ADVISE TO YOU IS SIMPLE, IF YOU WANT A WATCH LIKE THIS GO FOR THE METALLIC FINISH AND NOT THIS SHODDY FINISH.

1.0 out of 5 stars No radio reception, bad ergonomics, 9 Oct 2010
The watch feels great, looks great and has the usual high quality Citizen build. I really wanted to like it, BUT...

FIDDLY: The different functions are selected by pulling out the crown then turning it. You have to get your nail underneath because a recess stops you getting at it from the front. Either take off the watch or jam your finger under it to pull out the crown. Then, it's too easy to pull it out to the second position, which can invoke completely different action (example: resets the watch to "reference position" if you were on stopwatch mode). If only this worked the same way as the Pro Masters do, with the mode selected by a button at the 8 o-clock position.

WORST OF ALL: The radio reception did not work (I'm in North-West England). Tried all the advice given in the manual, but no good, yet my 10 plastic desktop clock gets the same German radio signal indoors and without any problem.

I returned the watch.
Now if there was a black Pro Master ...

5.0 out of 5 stars love this watch, 10 Mar 2010
P. barton (LONDON) - See all my reviews
i love this watch, i got mine on holiday last year at a fraction of the uk price as it was tax free, i love the radio control function as it never falls behind time, it corects itself once or twice a day, mine has the steel case and feels very haevy and solid on the wrist, this is my third citizen and i`ll recommend it to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 9 Jan 2014
The parcel come to my home fastly. It looks like in the picture, very good. There are many options, strong and very smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A manly watche and sexy. it doesn't only tell you time it also tells others to smile and start a conversetion with you., 20 Dec 2013
It's got everything you need in a daily life. it has the colour, alarms calendar and I can swim with it with no problem and requires no battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great solid watch., 16 Dec 2013
I was looking for a watch that was solar power , had a battery gauge and got the time signal. This watch has all three and more , like when there's not enough light for 30 minutes the digital displays turn off and after a week with no light the hands stop. but as soon as it gets some light it wakes up with the correct time showing. Another review says about the date being slaved to the UTC hands mine set those hands to the home time , so there is no problem with the date being wrong. The only thing which could have been better is the clasp does not have a pin adjuster , so you can not make small adjustments to the bracelet. I took 4 links out and it fits my 19cm wrist just right. For a fairly large watch it is not too heavy and you get instructions on how to use the slide rule bezel , which turns both ways smoothly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good timepiece, 17 Nov 2013
Fantastic watch got it for my sons 21st and he loves it. I think I will get myself one they are a very good watch thanx citizen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent citizen, 9 Jun 2013
Excellent value and does what is says on the tin. Radio control and solar powered for complete accuracy. No issues with signal reception in Shropshire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid reliable always spot on, 30 Aug 2011
J. Gornall "jg" (uk) - See all my reviews
This watch is always spot on, to the second. You won't get the case scratched by careless shop assistants, when having to get the batteries changed, as happened to another watch of mine. Leaving it in a sunny spot for a few hours one day seems to be all you need for many months. Works just fine, though initial set up instructions a bit fiddely.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›