5.0 out of 5 stars Now this IS Superbi!
Published on 14 July 2008 by Andy Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Salt and vinegar
Biscuit Boy's back. Well he's not as such and nor's Crackerman. He's just Heaton Paul.

Nice work in the main. Lead off single "Mermaids & Slaves" is catchy and sharp, remeniscent of the Housemartins.
"The Pub" is Heaton as his incisive best and for once the music is sharp enough to match it.
"God Bless Texas" is a blast at the Lone Star state with...
Published on 10 July 2008 by Merry Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this IS Superbi!, 14 July 2008
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
As someone who was barely satisfied with what could be The Beautiful South's last ever studio album, 'Superbi', I am more than pleased that Paul Heaton's second solo album is a far more raucous and memorable affair than many of the recent Beautiful South efforts. This is an album which, unlike 'Superbi', you will want to replay again and again. It has life, warmth, caustic wit and humour. It also has plenty of great memorable tunes (the single 'Mermaids And Slaves' is certainly as good as, if not better than, anything The Beautiful South have released this decade) and is packed full of brilliant lyrics which deal, often cynically and near-brutally, with the modern world and its often less than consistent inhabitants;

"Let's fool and coerce/The singer of verse/Died of insufferable pain,
Let's fuel the dream/Every Buckley or Dean/Was genius, misjudged or insane"
('Mermaids And Slaves')

"When someone starts a sentence/With 'I'm not racist but'
You know that the sentence is bound to end/With where they think they should be put
So next time you hear them singing/Of A land so free and brave
You know the place they hang their flag/Is where they hung their slave"
('A Good Old Fashioned Town')

"And the thin are getting thinner/The big are getting bigger
Till 5 and 75 year olds/Worry 'bout their figure
The big are getting bigger/The thin are getting thinner
Till everyone's looking (everyone's cooking)/At everyone else's dinner"
('Everything Is Everything')

I don't want to pull this album apart, track-by-track, because I really don't want to give too much away, but I believe that the content and style will be recognisable to every fan of The Housemartins, The Beautiful South and solo Heaton. All I can really say is that this is one of Paul's most enjoyable albums, with or without his bandmates and creative collaborators, and that nearly every fan of the man will be delighted with the excellent 'Cross Eyed Rambler', which is - in my opinion - twice the album of his solo debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't ramble, pay attention, 11 July 2008
I. H. C. Mellor "mihcm" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was very sad to hear the demise of the Beautiful South, but having already got Paul's previous album 'Fat Chance', the new album was a must. It has arrived and I am not disappointed, it is excellent. Lyrical as is all Paul's work with loads of catchy songs. Many of these tracks hark back to the 'Housemartins' with a much more basic sound and lots of energy. Much of the 'Beautiful South's' work was very melodic and carefully structured, this album seems to be a lot more basic, and I think is really good for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaton has far surpassed my expectations..., 13 July 2008
Although I enjoyed the final Beautiful South offering 'Superbi', it's not the one I'll be listening to frequently over the course of time. I think that I was kind of expecting Paul Heaton's 'Cross Eyed Rambler' to end up sounding reprocessed and lacking any life or originality. I am astonishingly blown away. I'm still in awe thinking....how could he still be writing such incredible music after so many years!'. One would think the creative well would run dry at one point but I can honestly say, it seems his creative well is far far from dry. This cd just reminds me of a perfect blend of his entire career, there's a hint and dash from the Housemartins, and really from every Beautiful South disc. Lyrically, he is still as brilliant and witty as ever. Cheers to this incredible new release, I'm grinning from ear to ear, grateful and well, I know what will be on constant rotation for a long time to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Phd in pop (or should that be PdH?), 7 Feb 2010
Mr. A. Johnson "karatejoe" (Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
Firstly, ignore the 1 star review. This is subversive pop with great, catchy, memorable harmonies at its best. If you bought The South's last album "Superbi" then this is, actually, no real departure. there's a bit more of a musical edge and a defintie nod to noughties indie but also a reflection back to The Housemartins too. The lyrics are more Political than the personal political of The South but it's great to hear that Paul has still got something to say about the world and England. It's hard to fault this album really, other than saying it is faultless. Where each Beautiful South album had it's stinker of a track this doesn't really and maybe that's due to a lack of experimentation or just more focus, it's impossible to say but what is clear is that Paul Heaton is a much underappreciated icon of British pop in the same way Terry Hall or Edwyn Collins are.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply great piece of work, 5 Jan 2009
Fridomeister (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
I was never a Beautiful South afficionado. I have always admired some of Paul Heaton's work but could not say I was a fan. I did like a lot of Housemartins stuff though. The point is ...... this isn't a recommendation from a B/South fan.

Anyway, this album is terrific. It's rare to get an album of such unremitting quality, with such a range of tracks. I just keep playing it and I find it hard to think of an album I have enjoyed more.

The only minor weakeness, in my view, is the first couple or tracks. After that, the tracks just get better and better.

I think the album is more Housemartins than Beautiful South, but that's probably an uneducated comment given that I don't have much B/S material.

BUY BUY BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical genius shares his genius with us all, 11 July 2008
Richard Smith (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
Paul Heaton has delivered a record of originality and energy. He has stripped back the layers of The Beautiful South and created a raw sound of guitar, bass, and drums. He is the Bertolt Brecht of modern music. Creating a theatre in his lyrics that questions and probes without pulling you in with sentimentality. He delivers the facts with poetry; and paints picture after picture. A wonderful record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 31 Jan 2014
Heaton never fails, great album, with some future classics on this album. Five stars all the way, he just gets better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Paul Heaton, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
if you like Paul Heaton, this is good. I can't say there are any outstanding songs but I like Paul's lyrics so I like most of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Salt and vinegar, 10 July 2008

"God Bless Texas" is a blast at the Lone Star state with some slightly clumsy posturing in the lyrics.
"Little Red Rooster" is a charming country-esque breeze.

"Everything Is Everything" is a grumpy but thought-provoking closer which works save for the sound of Heaton swearing like a trooper and sounding like a Geography teacher trying to impress his sixth form class with "bad words."

Welcome back Mr Heaton. Nice to have you with us with all your idiosyncratic charm. The songwriting arena would be a poorerp lace without you and we look forward to your next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars The cross eyed rambler, 22 Jun 2009
K. M. Cosgrove "book" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
This item was purchased as a present for my son, and he loved it.

Thanks

Kathy

The Cross Eyed Rambler
The Cross Eyed Rambler by Paul Heaton (Audio CD - 2008)