5.0 out of 5 stars Platform Specification
January 2011
I chose this monopod, because for considerably less cost than the Manfrotto 695CX, it offered more height for marginal increases in weight (plus 0.06Kg), and closed length (plus 3.5cm).

However, the manufacturer's website, and the instructions that came with the item, stated that the outer 3 / 8" thread was spring-loaded, and would retract...
Published on 11 Jan 2011 by Tom1111

2.0 out of 5 stars Giottos GTMML 3270B - broken all ready
Having purchased this item in October 2010 I initially believed it to be one of the best buys I had made.
Looked well made and sturdy and cheaper than most other products of the same specification. However today, the 2nd time of using it the threads on the outer attaching stud snapped off. And no i hadn't overtightened it. Very disappointing.
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by copout

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Giottos Monopod, 18 July 2011
When this item arrived I was a bit stumped as to where the spring loaded thread was. After various emails and calls to the supplier it turns out that Giottos had changed the spring loaded thread to a reversable thread. It would have saved all the confusion if they had put an ammendment into the box along with the monopod.

As for the monopod it is very strong and very easy to use. It is lightweight and doesn't take up much space. I used it the weekend it arrived with my Sony Alpha 350 and my Sigma 50-500mm lens and it worked brilliantly. I certainly prefer it to lugging a heavy tripod around.

A real good all-round piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Monopod, 27 Mar 2011
C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Opinion in the camera world is divided about monopods: some wouldn't be without them, others reckon that if you can carry a monopod, you can take a tripod and get superior stability.

However, if you know you are a monopod person, then this Giottos lightweight is the bee's knees. I use mine with a Canon 400D plus 70-300 IS - not a heavy setup (not like having a full-frame body and L lens), but the reach of the 300 means stability is essential. I do use a tripod for short journeys, but when I'm walking, it's the monopod I take with me. Exceedingly light, short enough (because of the 5 rather than 4 sections) to fit in my rucksack, or, more often, in the ice-axe loops - and also short enogh easily to fit in my suitcase for foreign shoots. The extra stability it affords is vital to me in all but the brightest conditions: despite the IS on the lens, it means I can shoot in lower light at a lower ISO - and, often crucially, with a higher F number.

So, for me this is a vital part of my equipment: not a tripod substitute, but to use when the tripod would be too awkward to take with me. In other words - every time I put my walking boots on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 April 2012
Absolutely rock solid monopod. I'm 6ft tall and when fully extended, my camera fits nicely up to my eye. Perfect length for me. Build quality is great, even though it's aluminium it's absolutely solid. The release clamps are top quality and fit very tightly. I've tested getting the legs to go back in when they're tightened and they literally dont budge. Nice and lightweight, not too big. Small enough that it can slide under the clip cover of my shoulder bag.

Also nice that it has the double sided thread. This was a little confusing at first as the instructions weren't very clear about how to change it over, and it came with the tripod head mount side ready to use out of the box. I hadn't planned on buying a head for it at this point (and still haven't as it does everything I need it to do without) so needed to get the tripod thread side out. To do this you have to twist the metal part at the very top of the monopod which at first was extremely stiff (so much so that at first I was convinced it wasn't designed to move).

Once you loosen it up though it will twist off and allow you to flip the screw thread bit upside down and screw it back on. Since undoing it the first time it has been easy enough to change from that point on.

Overall, if you're looking for a monopod without having to spend stupid money this is a great choice for a solid monopod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giottos Monopod, 19 July 2010
Spent a lot of time reviewing and looking at alternatives.
I'm 5' 9"" and the 3260B if plenty tall enough for someone quite a bit taller than me.
I use it with a MF Bronica film camera and up to 200mm lens - no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giotto GTMML 3290B, 16 April 2011
Bought this before going on a trip to Edinburgh. Used it in all situations both inside and outdoors and it improved my shots tremendously. I was able to take photos inside the Royal Yatch Britannea in low light and got great results. Also the ability to use it as a walking stick meant it was not a dead weight on my back like a tripod would be. Also ease to set up without taking up lots of space. I used it with the Giotto MH7000-652 ball head and would recommend the combination to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Sep 2010
Well made monopod, easily as good as the Manfrotto equivalent and with the five sections it is compact when collapsed and ultra-high when extended. This is the longest unit I could find. The only drawback with having more sections is that you sometimes have to unlock more than one section to adjust the height. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spring loaded thread, 16 Jan 2012
Excellent robust body which should have been a five star. Unfortunately, the thread has been changed from spring loaded, without any additional instructions! Spent a frustrating couple of hours working out how to reverse the thread from 3/4 to 1/4 , only to discover that the protective screw end only fits the 3/4 size! No problem if you are attaching a head to the larger size thread. Surely you couldn't be expected to reverse the process each time you wanted to attach a camera to 1/4 size? Unless I'm missing something, which is possible as the instructions are sketchy to say the least. Hence returning item with regret, such a shame. If a little extra thought had gone into the instructions for this modification, or an extra cap to fit the 1/4 thread. Another 2 hours of frustration to add to the ever growing list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracker, 2 Oct 2011
I considered buying a carbon fibre pole, but the weight saving versus cost, made it prohibitive. This is a great little pole and it really doesn't weigh that much. The included instructions are wrong, regarding the top fitting. That said, pretty much everything else is fine. A quick release for the camera fitting would have been good, but I think this would have impacted on the stability and made it expensive. As it is, a great pole for the money - nice and light, easy to set up and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars If your tall, this is the one!, 30 Sep 2011
A solid feeling product which extends way above my 6'2" frame and makes you wonder if they mispriced it. No wobbles or bowing unless you apply serious pressure. Have comfortably had a D7000 with a 300mm F4 on it with no problems. I recommend it highly for the price asked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping hand, 1 July 2011
G. J. Hircombe (UK) - See all my reviews
Have always meant to buy this type of camera support, but always used my "HEAVY TRIPOD". Construction and handling
exemplary. Would recommend wholeheartedly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›