5.0 out of 5 stars Best series in a long time, 17 July 2009
William Jenkins "wJ" (Worthing, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gun Sword: Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I have to start by saying that this is definitely one of my top 3 anime boxsets (this being my second favorite after Fullmetal Alchemist and just before samurai champloo).

I'm not quite sure that my review can do this series justice as it is without a doubt one of the best series ever made!

I find it next to impossible to think of anything bad to say about Gun Sword, but I guess i'll have to try... ummm..... well... I suppose you could say that its a bad thing that the series has to end. At the end of the 26th episode I found myself wishing that the story would go on for just a little longer.... thats not to say that the ending isn't amazing- unlike a lot of anime these days, the gun sword series actually manages to come to a close without some sort of ridiculous annoying cliffhanger that poses the possibilty of a sequel (eg- black blood brothers).

Ive just realised im begining to ramble.....

Ok so what is Gun Sword?

Gun Sword is an action/comedy/mecha series centered around an armour (mecha) rider named Van and his many companions. As the story begins Van is chasing after the Claw (a psychopath who murdered his wife). Along Van's journey to find the Claw he meets many interesting people both freind and foe. In almost every episode Van ends up confronting some sort of armour riding enemy resulting in an intense battle. The animation is fluid and clear throughout and all of the fight scenes are choreographed/ animated perfectly. Almost every character in the Gun Sword universe has a well thought out and interesting story behind them, making each individual feel unique and likable (even the murderous Claw has a good tale or two to tell). The music perfectly sets the mood for any situation making everything feel more immersive and even adding some serious emotion to some of the sadder moments.

I would recommend this series to anyone, even non anime veiwers.
Whatever the price- just buy it..... NOW!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunxsword - Classic, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Gun Sword: Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this series a long time ago with its original Japanese audio and I thought it was simply amazing. Great story, great characters, great action, great comedy, just really great. I recently picked it up again and started watching it with its English dub and I have to say I'm enjoying it even more. The voice acting is sheer quality particularly the voice of Van (David Vincent). At first I wasn't sure if it was going to be for me, I'm not a massive fan of mecha orientated anime but the story is so fantastic and engrossing here that I couldn't stop watching it. The plot revolves around an armour rider called Van who is looking for the clawed man who murdered his wife on his wedding day. Gutted. Along his journey he meets and travels with other characters each with their own interesting story. I'm not going to lie there are some episodes which are a bit silly, for example there's one episode where people use moustaches as weapons. Pretty bizarre. However, even in the sillier episodes what seem like throwaway plot lines are actually revealed to be important later on. So if you stick with it you'll find the story develops into something really gripping.

Overall I would certainly recommend it to anime fans.

Gun Sword: Complete Collection [DVD]
Gun Sword: Complete Collection [DVD] by Goro Taniguchi (DVD - 2008)
Used & New from: £33.98