4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Days returning???
One of the other reviewers suggested people should catch the Levellers live...

Published on 21 Aug 2008 by Mr. T. M. Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated on Amazon
I think that most people who write reviews on Amazon either usually love an item or despise it. Others in the middle usually can't be bothered to critique an unremarkable work, simply because of indifference. Well, forgive me for being the only person to not rate this album 5 stars, but I think it would be misleading to potential listeners to leave it that way...
Published on 21 April 2009 by Moondog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Days returning???, 21 Aug 2008
One of the other reviewers suggested people should catch the Levellers live...

As it happens, that's just what I've just done. I spent this last weekend (15th - 18th August 2008) at Levellers very own BEAUTIFUL DAYS festival at Escot Park in Devon... I've seen the Levs many times over the years and remain a firm fan despite not having THOROUGHLY enjoyed an album since "Zeitgeist". This isn't a fezzy review though... all I'll say is it was muddy but brilliant, though Levellers themselves were oddly lacklustre considering the festival is their baby...

Which leads me on to this new album...

Let me say first, to anyone who doesn't really know much about the band... stop reading now and go and buy their first 4 albums... then buy the others and, finally, buy this... it'll put what I have to say into context.

As a fan it's hard to be objective, but I think the last few albums have been mediocre or worse... so I was expecting "Letters From The Underground" to be equally poor. Boy am I surprised!!!

The thing I loved about the early Levellers material was the rawness and energy to it. This was something I felt they lost once they made a few quid and got to fool around in much more high-tech studios. Also, I guess that as we get older the flame dampens and priorities change a bit... and it becomes hard to sustain the sense of social and moral outrage that fuels us when we are young. I believe that's what happened to the Levs.

I don't think they ever stopped caring though, and "Letters..." is proof of that. I don't think any of the songs on this album are as strong or memorable as the angry anthems of the late 80s/early 90s. Nevertheless, I am almost weeping with relief that my undoubted favourite band have finally fulfilled the promise of a return to form that they hinted at but never quite achieved on "Green Blade Rising" or "Truth & Lies".

This new album is brimming with the attitude and anger of old. The aggression and energy is restored, both in the playing, the lyrics and the singing. The band are as tight and coherent as ever. I'm amazed and delighted. I didn't think I'd be able to recommend the album and I am overwhelmed that I'm able to say, to new and old fans alike, you MUST spend your pennies on "Letters From The Underground"...

Stand-out track for me? BEHOLD A PALE RIDER..

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to business, 12 Aug 2008
Mr. S. Harrison "Sam" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Not in a long time have I taken to an album as quickly as I have with this. This is the Levellers at their very best. Classic folk, punk and rock merged into a beautifully executed and politically powerful wonder.

After hearing them perform a few of the tracks live I knew it was going to be good, but I never expected this gem. It is a true delight to listen to, each and every song fantastically crafted and recorded with so much passion and emotion.

In recent albums I've been slightly concerned that their music was becoming overproduced. This album strips the music down to its raw basics and really shows off the virtuosity this band encompasses.

If you're new to the band you'll love it, if you're obsessed with them, you'll love it. There is something here for everyone, from the extremely punkish Burn America Burn to the epic and heart-wrenching Behold The Pale Rider (which to my delight is sang by Simon, something I thought was missing from the last album).

In my opinion there is not a bad thing about this album and it gives credit to the passion that the Levellers have put into their music over the past decades. If it keeps on growing on me like it is now I daren't imagine how obsessed I'm going to be with it by this time next week!

Buy this album now, you won't regret it, I promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars BACK TO FORM, 18 Aug 2008
POD BERRY (Leamington Spa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Having been a Levellers fan for a number of years and not being too enamoured by their last few albums I was in two minds whether to purchase this album or not.Wow am I glad I did this is the Levellers back to their stomping best,in my opinion the best Levs album since Levelling The Land.
The album contains a host of tracks that surely will become live set regulars.The albums a must buy it now with no hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form...., 1 Sep 2008
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
I've been listening to the Levellers for many years, since I saw them supporting New Model Army on tour back in 1990. I've seen them live numerous times, and they are always a storming live act. Unfortunately, their recent albums have been a bit of a disappointment. "Hello Pig" was the low point for me - barely a tune on it, and I struggled to listen all the way through once. "Green Blade Rising" was better, but "Truth And Lies" was another slip downhill - another one that I struggled to listen to more than once.

I bought "Letters..." yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what's happened, but this is far closer to Levellers of old than the stuff they've been putting out since 2000. The tunes are actually catchy again, and there is a degree of energy and enthusiasm that has been sadly lacking in their recent work.

It doesn't quite reach the heights of classics like "Levelling The Land", but if (like me) you'd given up on Levellers over the last few years, this is well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Levellers - Just like the Good Old Days, 11 Aug 2008
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
This is Grade One, No Holds Barred, Levellers... and they are having fun. Stomping, anarchic Folk-Rock - everything you want from a Levellers album. Soaring fiddle, thundering drums, howling guitars, and some really good foot-tapping tunes. Bit early to say which is best track - but this is genuine Levellers, through-and-through. You know it makes sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, energy filled, brilliance, 6 Jan 2013
Mr. Martin Vogwell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Having listed to the Levellers from a young age I found myself absolutely loving this album. Every song puts pours out energy and makes me feel at least 15 years younger. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
I used to love The Levellers back in the 90s. Saw them at Glastonbury. Bought all the albums. Then I forgot about them for a while. I bought this album on the spur of the moment, not expecting much, assuming they had reached their peak years ago. Wow! Was I in for a surprise. This is the best since Levelling the Land. It's the Levellers at the top of their game. Thumping raw tunes. Play it loud. I'm so glad they can still pull stuff like this out of the bag. Makes me think there might be more in the offing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Levellers strike gold again, 13 Mar 2009
Some wonderful tracks particularly "The Cholera Well", "A Life Less Ordinary", and "Burn America Burn". Once again well produced,faultlessly played and energy laden. A must have for all Levellers fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Levellers levelling the land AGAIN!!!!, 20 Feb 2009
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Finally. After many years of ordinary Folk Rock. Levellers have remembered where they eminate from. They have developed and recorded an album, that can truely take its place next to Levelling the Land. A return to the anti-war, anti establishment roots, that made us all love them in the first place. The main releases of Life Less Ordinary and Cholera Well, are well constructed and have a typical levellers furore to them. But i am a true fan of the levellers and enjoy the less popular records they have provided us. Simon is on fire on this album, with the support of Mark, who is equally good on vocals and guitar. These days, the idea of a fiddle in a song is not one that goes far. However, this album proves that it holds a place in modern day music and can indeed amplify a quality song.
I personally favour fight or flight, which is reminiscent of Miles Away and Social Insecurity. This is then mirrored by Pale Rider. Awesome lyrics and amazing when heard live. This band represents an era, but more than that, now represents, AGAIN, a quality band that has worked hard to stay current, yet loyal to the roots it came from. AMAZING, AWESOME, the BEST album i have heard in years. Thank you guys and please dont stop!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must, 9 Sep 2008
A. P. Harrison "andyha" (Chester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Well what can you say. Since buying this CD its rarely been off my CD player in the house or the car and that's not mentioning the mp3 player!! I knew a number of the tracks anyway as I've seen them 4 times this year but I was surprised at how good this album turned out to be. Not one duff track and them back at their very best. roll on December when I see them again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Letters from the Underground
Letters from the Underground by Levellers (Audio CD - 2008)