4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Days returning???

Published on 21 Aug. 2008 by Mr. T. M. Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated on Amazon
I think that most people who write reviews on Amazon either usually love an item or despise it. Others in the middle usually can't be bothered to critique an unremarkable work, simply because of indifference. Well, forgive me for being the only person to not rate this album 5 stars, but I think it would be misleading to potential listeners to leave it that way...
Published on 21 April 2009 by Moondog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Days returning???, 21 Aug. 2008
One of the other reviewers suggested people should catch the Levellers live...

As it happens, that's just what I've just done. I spent this last weekend (15th - 18th August 2008) at Levellers very own BEAUTIFUL DAYS festival at Escot Park in Devon... I've seen the Levs many times over the years and remain a firm fan despite not having THOROUGHLY enjoyed an album since "Zeitgeist". This isn't a fezzy review though... all I'll say is it was muddy but brilliant, though Levellers themselves were oddly lacklustre considering the festival is their baby...

Which leads me on to this new album...

Let me say first, to anyone who doesn't really know much about the band... stop reading now and go and buy their first 4 albums... then buy the others and, finally, buy this... it'll put what I have to say into context.

As a fan it's hard to be objective, but I think the last few albums have been mediocre or worse... so I was expecting "Letters From The Underground" to be equally poor. Boy am I surprised!!!

The thing I loved about the early Levellers material was the rawness and energy to it. This was something I felt they lost once they made a few quid and got to fool around in much more high-tech studios. Also, I guess that as we get older the flame dampens and priorities change a bit... and it becomes hard to sustain the sense of social and moral outrage that fuels us when we are young. I believe that's what happened to the Levs.

I don't think they ever stopped caring though, and "Letters..." is proof of that. I don't think any of the songs on this album are as strong or memorable as the angry anthems of the late 80s/early 90s. Nevertheless, I am almost weeping with relief that my undoubted favourite band have finally fulfilled the promise of a return to form that they hinted at but never quite achieved on "Green Blade Rising" or "Truth & Lies".

This new album is brimming with the attitude and anger of old. The aggression and energy is restored, both in the playing, the lyrics and the singing. The band are as tight and coherent as ever. I'm amazed and delighted. I didn't think I'd be able to recommend the album and I am overwhelmed that I'm able to say, to new and old fans alike, you MUST spend your pennies on "Letters From The Underground"...

Stand-out track for me? BEHOLD A PALE RIDER..

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to business, 12 Aug. 2008
Mr. S. Harrison "Sam" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Not in a long time have I taken to an album as quickly as I have with this. This is the Levellers at their very best. Classic folk, punk and rock merged into a beautifully executed and politically powerful wonder.

After hearing them perform a few of the tracks live I knew it was going to be good, but I never expected this gem. It is a true delight to listen to, each and every song fantastically crafted and recorded with so much passion and emotion.

In recent albums I've been slightly concerned that their music was becoming overproduced. This album strips the music down to its raw basics and really shows off the virtuosity this band encompasses.

If you're new to the band you'll love it, if you're obsessed with them, you'll love it. There is something here for everyone, from the extremely punkish Burn America Burn to the epic and heart-wrenching Behold The Pale Rider (which to my delight is sang by Simon, something I thought was missing from the last album).

In my opinion there is not a bad thing about this album and it gives credit to the passion that the Levellers have put into their music over the past decades. If it keeps on growing on me like it is now I daren't imagine how obsessed I'm going to be with it by this time next week!

Buy this album now, you won't regret it, I promise!

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form...., 1 Sept. 2008
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
I've been listening to the Levellers for many years, since I saw them supporting New Model Army on tour back in 1990. I've seen them live numerous times, and they are always a storming live act. Unfortunately, their recent albums have been a bit of a disappointment. "Hello Pig" was the low point for me - barely a tune on it, and I struggled to listen all the way through once. "Green Blade Rising" was better, but "Truth And Lies" was another slip downhill - another one that I struggled to listen to more than once.

I bought "Letters..." yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what's happened, but this is far closer to Levellers of old than the stuff they've been putting out since 2000. The tunes are actually catchy again, and there is a degree of energy and enthusiasm that has been sadly lacking in their recent work.

It doesn't quite reach the heights of classics like "Levelling The Land", but if (like me) you'd given up on Levellers over the last few years, this is well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars BACK TO FORM, 18 Aug. 2008
POD BERRY (Leamington Spa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Having been a Levellers fan for a number of years and not being too enamoured by their last few albums I was in two minds whether to purchase this album or not.Wow am I glad I did this is the Levellers back to their stomping best,in my opinion the best Levs album since Levelling The Land.
The album contains a host of tracks that surely will become live set regulars.The albums a must buy it now with no hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Days Returning???, 7 Sept. 2008
One of the other reviewers suggested people should catch the Levellers live...

As it happens, that's just what I've just done. I spent a recent weekend (15th - 18th August 2008) at Levellers very own BEAUTIFUL DAYS festival at Escot Park in Devon... I've seen the Levs many times over the years and remain a firm fan despite not having THOROUGHLY enjoyed an album since "Zeitgeist". This isn't a fezzy review though... all I'll say is it was muddy but brilliant, though Levellers themselves were oddly lacklustre considering the festival is their baby...

Which leads me on to this new album...

Stand-out track for me? BEHOLD A PALE RIDER..

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm genuinely suprised by how good this album is, 31 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
There's no harsher critic than a disillusioned fan so, as a fan of the Levellers' early years, I was fully expecting to have the same reaction to this album as I have to all their records since Mouth to Mouth: "I'd really love to like this, but I just don't".

The good news is that, having put this album on for the first time about 10 minutes ago, I was overjoyed to hear the Levellers back at their folk-punking, ass-kicking best. Although this doesn't recapture the youthful folkiness of A Weapon Called the Word or Levelling the Land, the sound is like a heavier version of their eponymous third album, so if you like the songs "100 Years of Solitude" and "Broken Circles" (I do!) then this is the album for you.

There's none of the Beatles-aping, poorly-scanning lyrics or repetitve down-tempo drones that have appeared on the last few albums; rather we get incisive political lyrics delivered in the form of upbeat folk-pop-punk (with rather more of the pop-punk than the folk). There's also more of a presence of the Levellers' wild-west sherrif/backing vocalist Simon Friend who manages to sound like he's gargling with barbed wire while simultaneously providing some of the band's most touching, heartfelt songs.

If there are any problems with this album (and, to be honest, at first listen, there aren't many!) it's that occasionally the production has to compensate for Mark Chadwick's voice which is still sounding a little overworked and weary compared to the crystal-clear vocals he used to provide. There's also not much for the fans of the Levellers in acoustic folk-ballad mode (a la Julie, No Change, Another Man's Cause) but, to be honest, it's not that kind of an album and it would be churlish to complain when this is by far the best record the Levellers have produced in a very long time.

I really enjoyed listening to this album and I think that's a pretty good recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Levellers levelling the land AGAIN!!!!, 20 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
Finally. After many years of ordinary Folk Rock. Levellers have remembered where they eminate from. They have developed and recorded an album, that can truely take its place next to Levelling the Land. A return to the anti-war, anti establishment roots, that made us all love them in the first place. The main releases of Life Less Ordinary and Cholera Well, are well constructed and have a typical levellers furore to them. But i am a true fan of the levellers and enjoy the less popular records they have provided us. Simon is on fire on this album, with the support of Mark, who is equally good on vocals and guitar. These days, the idea of a fiddle in a song is not one that goes far. However, this album proves that it holds a place in modern day music and can indeed amplify a quality song.
I personally favour fight or flight, which is reminiscent of Miles Away and Social Insecurity. This is then mirrored by Pale Rider. Awesome lyrics and amazing when heard live. This band represents an era, but more than that, now represents, AGAIN, a quality band that has worked hard to stay current, yet loyal to the roots it came from. AMAZING, AWESOME, the BEST album i have heard in years. Thank you guys and please dont stop!!

5.0 out of 5 stars what the levellers do best, 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
I first saw the Levellers in 1989 playing support to Radical Dance Faction; they were seriously good back then. I followed them over the years, seeing them live many, many times. In recent years though, I lost interest; their music had lost something for me, it just failed to excite any more. So, I read the reviews for this offering and thought I would give it a go, not really expecting much. But this, to use a bit of a tired old cliche, is a real return to form. Less polish perhaps, but much more energy, and yes, the old excitement is there. Highly recommended to fans, but it probably won't convert non-believers which is unfortunate as it deserves a wider audience. Great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Letters from the Underground (Audio CD)
I used to love The Levellers back in the 90s. Saw them at Glastonbury. Bought all the albums. Then I forgot about them for a while. I bought this album on the spur of the moment, not expecting much, assuming they had reached their peak years ago. Wow! Was I in for a surprise. This is the best since Levelling the Land. It's the Levellers at the top of their game. Thumping raw tunes. Play it loud. I'm so glad they can still pull stuff like this out of the bag. Makes me think there might be more in the offing.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a return to form, 15 Aug. 2008
D. Brodie (Ayr) - See all my reviews
It's not very often i'll take to an album the first time i listen to it.In fact it's fair to say that i have only ever thought of 2 or 3 albums as classics on first listen.

Letters From the Underground has now been added to the list of the 2 or 3 albums.

I was expecting a good album after hearing the initial free downloads that the band released in the last couple of months(Burn America Burn,Life Less Ordinary and Cholera Well) but i have to say it's surpassed my expectations in a big way.Death Loves Youth for example made the hairs on my arm stand up when i heard it.

The 2 disc edition comes with 3 other songs and the Burn America Burn video.Of the 3 songs on the 2nd disc TV Suicides is amazing.Do yourself a favour and buy the 2 disc edition to hear this.It kinda reminds me of some of their older B Sides like Miles Away but in my opinion it should have been straight on to the album proper.

If you're a Levellers fan you'll love it.

Buy it...you'll be doing yourself a favour.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Letters from the Underground
Letters from the Underground by Levellers (Audio CD - 2008)