5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!
At last a new CD from Mr. P.J. Proby!! Fans have waited a long time but the wait has been worthwhile! This CD proves what a truly varied and magnificent voice P.J. has as we listen to rock, ballads, blues and country. A well thought out selection of favourites plus two previously unreleased recordings. A must for everyone!! Can we have a Volume 2 please EMI...
Published on 23 Jun 2008 by Mrs. J. M. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Wayward brilliance
First, let me say that this is a lovingly-compiled CD, complete with extensive sleeve notes and a quality sound at a low price. The notion, however, that this is a flawless collection of PJP genius is somewhat over the top. Proby was clearly a hugely talented and versatile singer, but there lies a problem. When he focused on singing in his own way, he was as good as any...
Published on 16 Oct 2008 by D. J. H. Thorn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!, 23 Jun 2008
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
At last a new CD from Mr. P.J. Proby!! Fans have waited a long time but the wait has been worthwhile! This CD proves what a truly varied and magnificent voice P.J. has as we listen to rock, ballads, blues and country. A well thought out selection of favourites plus two previously unreleased recordings. A must for everyone!! Can we have a Volume 2 please EMI?!!

Janet Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Proby's one of the greatest pop icons from the 1960s!, 20 May 2008
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
This CD has to be one of the most enjoyable projects that I had the pleasure to work on. I first discovered Proby from my Mum. Immediately liked what I heard and the more I explored Proby's EMI catalogue (1961-1972) realised there was sufficient untapped material to warrant a new CD release.

It took a few years in the making but finally the project came into fruition to celebrate Proby's 70th birthday (in November 2008). The finished CD offers a comprehensive overview of his biggest hits and best recordings released for Liberty/EMI between 1961 and 1972. Featured are eleven of the Texan's most successful international A&B side singles, such as Top 10 UK hits "Hold Me", "Somewhere" and "Maria" plus Top 5 Australian hit "Mission Bell", #1 Swiss hit "I'm Coming Home", Top 20 Dutch hit "Today I Killed A Man" and Top 30 US hit "Niki Hoeky".

Most of interest to the avid Proby collector will be the 2 previously unreleased songs that we found in the Abbey Road archives, these are renditions of Les Reed & Barry Mason's "Delilah" and Jim Ford's "I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind". If that wasn't already enough to delight and excite everyone the core fans (aka the Probyans) also get 8 of their most requested collectibles that debut on CD format. Many of these rarities are penned by popular songwriters, such as Jackie DeShannon, Randy Newman, Gerry Goffin & Carole King, The Gibb Brothers, Les Reed & Barry Mason and even Proby himself. The CD also contains a 12-page booklet of biography and song anecdotes.

ALL I CAN SAY IS IF YOU LOVE SIXTIES POWER-BALLADS OR BEAUTIFULLY ORCHESTRATED MUSIC THEN LOOK NO FURTHER THAN P.J. PROBY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a birthday present, 22 Jun 2008
keith warden - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
At last a great album released covering the best off Pj, cannot fault the contents, its great to hear "And the Sun Will Shine" havnt heard it since I left Melbourne and left the album somewhere. My only quibble is no "tips of my fingers" or " i apologise" but still it could mean a vol 2 might be out there.This is a must for all fans and a great way to get to know him if you dont.

Well worth the money just listen to " give me time" and for my money the version of "deliah" would have give Tom Jones a run for his money.

Buy the CD sit back and enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD and an absolute Must Have!, 20 May 2008
Manja Dolan (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
I've had the privilige to listen to a preview and I can promise everybody you'll be knocked over! PJs version of Delilah will give Tom Jones a shiver down his spine! The whole CD is a wonderful compilation and a perfect balance of rare material, special hits and never-released-before material, like the Jim Ford song I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind.
The accompanying booklet is full of information and a joy to read.
PJ himself wrote a message to his fans.....
A true birthday present for PJs 70th Birthday this year!

So thanks, EMI!

Manja Dolan

5.0 out of 5 stars Still missing songs, 5 Jun 2008
H. J. Bloem "H. Bloem" (Holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
Great album with some unreleased tracks, but I'm still missing some single A and B-sides on CD (There Stands The One, I Need Love, You Got Me Cryin', It's Goodbye and It's Too Good To Last). I hope they will be soon released on a vol. 2 CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'A QUALITY ARTIST OF THE 60's', 15 May 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
'American' artist 'P.J.Proby' born 'James Marcus Smith' took his stage-name
from a friends boyfriend.
Down the years Singer/Songwriter 'P.J' has turned his hand to acting, also
early on he done impersonations of 'Elvis' and 'Roy Orbison' listening to him
for the first time in many years, I can imagine him with the quality of his vocal
ability to make a pretty good job of taking-off those icons of the music-scene.
He first hit the U.K Charts back in 64' with the song 'Hold Me' which peaked
at Number '3' this was followed up the same year with 'Together' (Chart '8')
the latter not included on the album.
The two songs I best remember him for and the reason for me buying the album
are, from the Show 'West Side Story' those being 'Somewhere' (Chart '6' 1964)
and 'Maria' (Chart '8' 1965)
Between 64' and 66' 'P.J' actually achieved eight Top 30 entries also having
several lower-order successes.
I saw 'P.J' on a multi-artist show, live' around the the time of his hit 'Somewhere'
Not all 'P.J's Hits are on board this album, however there are an interesting mix
of 'B'-Sides, and 'Cover-versions' of Hit -Sounds from yester-year along with the
Hits of his I have mentioned......overall a good-purchase.
'P.J' still tours today in mainly 60's Shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
Thay say all good things are worth waiting for and this certainly is. What a great collection to show the true talent of this man.To say EMI are overdue in releasing PJ's songs is an understatement so come on now how about a Volume 2 there are so many more tracks to choose from how about the fabulous "Mary in the morning" for a start... Here's hoping!!

5.0 out of 5 stars just wonderfull, 22 Jun 2008
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
Really wonderfull to have all these songs together they just show the superb vocal ability of P.J just great!!

4.0 out of 5 stars PROBY'S POWERHOUSE STYLE STILL APPEALS!, 29 Sep 2008
A. POLLOCK (PLYMOUTH, DEVON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
When it comes to the life and career of Texas-born P.J.Proby, there must be enough drama to fill any film script and then some, for the vocal maverick has lived his time to the full. As one of the Sixties bad boys of British pop culture, Proby enjoyed no fewer than eleven charting successes between 1964-69, and with just a few of them featured on this collection, the others can easily be accessed elsewhere.

This overview celebrates the singer's 70th birthday in November 2008 and covers sides recorded between 1961-1972, with emphasis on his international hits (NIKI HOEKY, I CAN'T MAKE IT ALONE), neglected album tracks (MY PRAYER, MISSION BELL, ANSWER ME), rare "B" sides (JUST LIKE HIM, WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND) and a couple of previously unreleased recordings (I'M AHEAD IF I CAN QUIT WHILE I'M BEHIND and a cover of the Tom Jones hit DELILAH). There are also eight other songs claimed to be new to CD and it's true to say the mixture gives full reign to P.J.'s vocal flamboyance and ability to render emotive ballads, a few rockers and even QUANDO TORNERA in Italian.

Whilst Proby's career has hit the rocky road on numerous occasions, he has never been forsaken by his fans and it's good to know he is still out there entertaining forty years later. These sides are another welcome reminder that he came, he saw and he conquered!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 5 May 2013
peter bence (melbourne, victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) (Audio CD)
James Marcus Smith ( PJ Proby) is my favourite singer of all time. This selection has nearly all of his best. Anyone who has never heard him sing you are missing out on the voice of a super star.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972)
Best Of The EMI Years (1961-1972) by P.J. Proby (Audio CD - 2008)