5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound Of Awesomeness!
I waited until this version of the CD was released before I decided to purchase it. I had listened to the album over & over on the band's official site & also at a friend's place (who introduced me to this band) though he had the UK special edition with bonus tracks, though no 'Second Chance' which I had fallen in love with via the radio!

I've heard the first...
Published on 3 Aug. 2009 by Mr. P. J. Sheehan

1.0 out of 5 stars Never?!
Three things in this life are for sure. Never eat yellow snow buy a French produced car and buy this turd! Avoid if you like Rock music! J Counsell.
Published 4 months ago by Lincoln

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More shinedown, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
Another excellent album. In my opinion shinedown have improved with etex album produced. I've become a fan of theirs over time. Even better for me because i ordered the deluxe version and amazon instead sent me two copies of the single version and charged nothing. This follows my attempt to purchase ten by pearl jam. Amazon kindly sent me this album for 3p. I've tried returning them but so far amazon haven't called for tiger freebies. I suggest you try ordering the deluxe version if you want something for free. I will try again to return my copies but you may not be so honest. Anyway back to the album- excellent effort from a continually improving band. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking!!, 12 Jun. 2009
I had only heard two tracks before purchasing this album- Devour and Sound of Madness, and once i put it in the cd player i was more than happy.
I had never heard any previous recordings from Shinedown but this album is packed full of rockin anthems! I really love The Crow & The Butterfly, a true masterpiece. The group is very similar to Nickleback but maybe not as commercial which i find refreshing! Not a weak track on the album to be honest, if you have heard one of their tracks and love it then get this album, you wont be disapointed!! They need more credit and airplay, they could easily be as big as Nickleback if not better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cd, 31 May 2009
Bought this cd thinking it would be a fair one. Turned out to be a good cd which I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Belter of a Rock Album, 19 Feb. 2014
Gef (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
First put onto Shinedown by my son, played it once and dismissed as hammy US rock.

Happened to pick it up a few weeks later and I'm glad I did as it's brilliant.

Infectious and engaging I'd defy anyone not to let the songs get under your skin.
Brent Smiths diction is perfect for the big anthem songs that appear to be their trademark.

Get this album and if you like rock you will not be disappointed.

Other albums.
Amaryllis = brilliant.
Us and Them. Not quite up to the same high level but still a very good album nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madness Never Sounded So Good, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
I discovered Shinedown through a couple of YouTube videos, bought this album on the back of those and have become a big fan. I always like to do track-by-track reviews for CDs, so here goes:

1. DEVOUR
The opener is actually a bit of a disappointment for me. Lyrically rather poor and the odd mix of metal-style verses with classic rock chorus doesn't sit very well for me. 5/10

2. THE SOUND OF MADNESS
The title track is epic and one of the standout moments of the album. Pure metal, slow, thumping, head-banging enjoyment.10/10

3. SECOND CHANCE
A complete contrast to the previous track, Second Chance showcases Shinedown's rock ballad talents to great effect, telling the story of a teenage girl leaving home to make her way in the world. Tinged with sadness yet also incredibly uplifting. 10/10.

4. CRY FOR HELP
The title is somewhat deceptive as this is another manic, metallic frenetic head-banger of a track. Some brilliant lyrics help to make this another album highlight. 10/10

5. THE CROW AND THE BUTTERFLY
A return to rock ballad territory but the quality remains high. Quiet, wistful verses build into powerful choruses and some beautiful abstract lyrics give it a great warm summery feel. 10/10

6. IF YOU ONLY KNEW
Unfortunately the quality begins to dip at this point. Another ballad with some rather manufactured-sounding lyrics that you could imagine being sung by a boy-band. Fortunately the band's musicianship and Brent Smith's amazing voice raise this above mediocrity...although not by much. 6/10

7. SIN WITH A GRIN
A rather abrasive punk/metal track which grates on the ear, thanks to the harsh guitars and Brent's over-wrought vocals. Some interesting lyrics keep it listenable though. 6/10.

8. WHAT A SHAME
Another gem that I like to call "the greatest song Johnny Cash never sang". A dark, bleak yet beautiful and amazing track that would have suited The Man In Black down to the ground. I like it so much I learned to play it! 10/10

9. CYANIDE SWEET TOOTH SUICIDE
Similar in style to Sin With A Grin, this is another punk/metal track though easier on the ear and with lyrics you could imagine being written by Motley Crue. 7/10

10. BREAKING INSIDE
The final jewel in this particular crown is another power ballad of epic proportions, topped off with some nice guitar flourishes. Follows the usual "quiet verse / big chorus" formula, but does it oh so well. 10/10

11. CALL ME
The album closes with this piano ballad, not unsurprisingly about a relationship breaking up. I'm not normally one for this type of song, but the lyrics and music work together to create an undeniably great song. 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums i have heard in a long time..., 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Sound Of Madness (Audio CD)
After hearing a few SHINEDOWN songs on the radio i thought it was time to buy an album, i knew 'Sound of madness' so that's why i chose this album. It is seriously good and i am now very much a SHINEDOWN fan and will be buying the other albums very soon. I have recently discovered that there is a special edition of this album which has about 5 bonus songs and is well worth the extra pennies. 5 stars because it is the kind of album you can play over and over (great driving music!!). ENJOY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Brilliant Hard Rock..., 8 Aug. 2008
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound of Madness [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
Shinedown, fronted by Brent Smith have hit the musical nail on the head with this quite superb record.

How a band like this struggles so much to gain much attention outside of the USA is incredible.
Lead single "Devour" is probably to best hard rock song i've heard this year, with song's like "Sin With A Grin" and "Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide" equally as brilliant.

As is standard on most hard rock records these days, Shinedown throw in some quite beautiful ballads, the best of these being "Second Chance" which without question should be this album's second single.

Hard rock album of year? Absolutely.
Hard rock album of the decade? Quite possibly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Career Album, 4 Sept. 2009
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
Well, well, well. Shinedown have just set themselves a benchmark to cross. If they are going to better this absolute belter of an album, then I would be amazed (and also running out to buy it immediately!). Tone-wise, it's on a par with Leave a Whisper but expands the sound they created there and elevates it ten-fold. While some of my favourite tracks appear on Leave..., as a whole, Sound of Madness is far tighter - you can almost feel the sweat and tears excreted in its conception.

Too many stand-out tracks. Devour (more than awesome - every listen produces hairs-up-on-neck moments), Sound of Madness( a behemoth of twisted riffs, chugging chords and dirty melody), Second Chance (standard Shinedown ballad but produced to stunning affect), The Crow & the Butterfly (epic and whimsical and kind of perfect), If You Only Knew(a grower and quite gutless, but a masterclass in how to make a Shinedown ballad), Cyanide, Sweet-Tooth Suicide(utterly bonkers and supremely catchy) and, oh there all good!

Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit back and listen, 7 Jan. 2009
Keith Turner "Olderbutgolder" (Allover, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound of Madness [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
I've recently gotten back into live music and have seen a number of new and old bands over recent months. What I've found is that there is lots of good old stuff and lots of reasonble new stuff, but nothing that affected me like the first time I heard Queensryche, Thunder or Counting Crows (I have very varied tastes!). I too saw Shinedown performing Devour on Scuzz and I went straight to YouTube for a couple of further examples of their music. Anyway, the album arrived from Amazon-Germany within a few days and it is quite simply the best thing I've heard in years. The one-star review on this page should not put you off; unfortunately that author was expecting something that Shinedown aren't about. If on the other hand you're looking for Rock music that has well crafted lyrics, some exceptional musicianship and a lead vocal with pure passion and energy, then get your wallet out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock shock!, 27 July 2009
J. Spinney - See all my reviews
Bought this half expecting some formulaic hair metal or Jovi style commercial rock. What I found was a solid, fast paced rock album that shows the emerging talents these boys are going to become. Very well constructed songs with melody and passion. A good, classy rock record.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

The Sound of Madness [Limited Edition]
The Sound of Madness [Limited Edition] by Shinedown (Audio CD - 2008)