5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review
I dont see many blu-ray reviews here so I thought I would address that imbalance.

This is top notch entertainment. The film can be interpreted on many levels. It can be seen as an action flick with many amazing set pieces with gunfire, explosions and gory violence. Or it can be seen as a deep political statement with strong relevance to the uprisings happening...
Published on 26 Feb 2011 by G. O'Neill

3.0 out of 5 stars view from a distance?
Published on 21 Jun 2008 by Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Subtle Triumph, 18 May 2006
Matthew Winn "Realist" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Having been a fan of the graphic novel for many years I was interested to see how exactly the Wachowski's intended to translate Moore's early 90's view of the future into a believable concept for the twentieth century. Despite what most of the purists may say, Moores original view of totalitarian britain has aged somewhat, and an exacttranslation of the graphic novel onto the silver screen would have been far too esoteric and inaccessable for those who had not been previously introduced to the material. What we have here the is an adaptation of the original concept of the novel, with some of the plot points rearranged and characters redrawn, in order to fit a movie format, and to better explore the intricacies of this fascist police state. Whereas moore portrayed a world where the government is in complete control, both of the nation and the hearts and minds of the citizenry, the Wachowski's have altered this somewhat. What we have now is a government that controls through deception and spin, by creating fear in the populace and presenting Anglo-christian based national socialism as the cure for all ills. This is in contrast to moores vision where the government rules by intimidation and violence, the citizens of britain are brow beaten dogs utterly submissive and incapable of thought, in this movie the populace have simply been kept in the dark and are awaiting someone to turn the light on. Enter V.

What makes this film such a triumph is it's assertion that no matter how entrencehd a governments control becomes, there are always going to be people who question them always people who look at the world and sense something is wrong. People know when they're being lied to, know when spin becomes outright lies and are perfectly capable of standing for their own rights. Of course V's attacks act as the catalyst for this process ut the ultimate act of herosim is performed by the public.

Yes there are better action films, yes there are better films that question the world we live in, but very few do both with such style and grace. This time the wachowski's managed to of their message without recourse to big black coats and rage against the machine music. Rebellion isn't just for angry teenagers- it must be for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Governments should be afraid of their people, 3 Nov 2007
Wow, this movie was such a wake-up call ! It really goes to the core of the issue : we, the mass, the populace so much despised by our elite, have been hypnotised to think that WE needed THEM to be able to survive and carry on with our lives, that we need THEM to show US the Way. The truth is the opposite, counter-echoing Chancellor Sutler's claim : "THEY need US". The Elite needs the People to maintain them in power, that's why they feed us lies and brainwash us, dumbing us down, making us living in fear so that we won't revolt against their domination.
This wonderful movie shows us what would happened if people suddenly woke up and realised they've been deceived and manipulated by their governement. The deviant elite would be done, over, good bye, sayonara.
In this movie, it's V who plays the role of the wake up call. In real life, here and in a not so distant future, who will take on that role ? Will there be another V, hundreds, thousands, millions of V's all shouting in One Voice : ENOUGH !" ? Or will we need something more powerful, like a kick in the butt in the form of Nuclear war and World fascism ?
We still have the choice, not for long but we still have it.
It's up to all of us.
Remember, remember, the 5th of November...

5.0 out of 5 stars A film with a powerful message for our times!, 2 Nov 2007
This is just a Must See movie, as it has a powerful message apt for the times in which we are living. Though V himself is taking personal revenge in the way of killing the leaders in control, his appeal to people is not one of violence. He appeals to people to wake up from their slumber and stand up against the endless lies and brutality of the regime. That this is the message is clearly seen in his speeches as well as the way in which the people respond to it.

The scene at the end of the film where thousands of people, young and old march unarmed, hand in hand against the oppressors and the troops, is an extremely powerful message and reminiscent of the power of Gandhi's message of non-violence and civil disobedience.

As this non-violent uprising culminates in the film on the 5th of November, it is a timely reminder to go out and buy this video and let the message sink in.

As a follow up reading "1984" by George Orwell, is eerily close in describing the fascist society that is shown in the film and sadly also close to the way things are going. The book "Political Ponerology" is another recommendable book that details the process by which a society gets to become a totalitarian state.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologise for this interruption...", 26 Jan 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: V For Vendetta [Blu-ray] [2006] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This is a refreshing spin on a superhero - he isn't important, it's what he stands for that counts and ultimately it's the ordinary folk who need to make the difference...

The cast seems nigh on perfect - with John Hurt as "The Chancellor" - the fascist despot at the centre of the regime. Hurt plays the complete anithesis of his role as semi-revolutionary in the big screen version of 1984. And Stephen Fry as closet homosexual TV star Gordon Deitrich adds a dark touch given his true-life parrallels with the role. The dystopian near-future United Kingdom is ruled with an iron fist as it quashes individuality and irridicates anyone not conforming to their ideal (straight, right wing, and white).

I've not read the graphic novels - and my opinion on the film may be different if I had, but to me the film seemed to contain enough action to satisfy those who want it, and enough questions were raised for those who like something a bit more challenging. V himself isn't a hero as such, he's probably a good example of the old addage "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" and there are unpleasant aspects to his character - but with enough appeal to ensure the audience get behind him and his campaign. He chooses to style himself on Guy Fawkes, and that's a choise made with definite purpose - he wants to inspire those around him to stage their own Gunpowder Plot and overthrow the authorities.

This alternate Orwellian Great Britain is close enough to real life to chillingly communicate a warning of what might happen if we remain contanslty obsessed and influenced by the right-wing media, eventually allowing someone to exploit those beliefs and take charge. The media is constantly exploited by the powers that be to re-write history and communicate events as they want them to be seen.

Whilst watching this film I felt constantly reminded of the main sentiment from '1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four' (my favourite book of all time) because true change can't come from a man in a mask it has to come from the ordinary people, the true cogs at the core of society who dwell in the lower social orders, the proletariat; "Hope lies in the Proles".

In a nutshell: I can fully understand how fans of the original novels may feel let down by any deviation in message or content from what they know - I'd probably feel the same. But as someone new to "V" I enjoyed the film and what it had to say. This is an action film which isn't really about the action, it's not even about the hero (he's not in a failry substantial chunk of it) - it's about the central political message. The film asks questions and not enough films do that these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative & Inspiring, 3 Nov 2007
This is truly a fantastic film from the Wachowski brothers, and everybody must get a copy and watch it. It conveys a stark and terrifying message that is eerily similar to the changes in society and government we're seeing today; though that is one of the main themes: are we truly seeing them, and if so, what are we going to do about it? As the saying goes, all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. As another reviewer said, we need to all find that part of ourselves that is exemplified by "V" and to stop living in a dream world of denial and complacency because these are the very attributes that have been the fertiliser - as well as the innocent lives lost - for totalitarian repressive regimes.

Informative and inspiring, and should go hand in hand with psychological literature by authors such as Martha Stout, Robert Hare, Andrew Lobaczewski, etc. It can only stop when we get to the very root of the issue, and that is pathological deviance in all its dark hydra-like forms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have to say I was a little apprehensive before watching this film. I'm not normally into 'political' movies but it turned out to be very different to what I expected.
The USA has erupted in civil war. The previously most powerul nation on earth has collapsed and begs Britain for aid. Britain, on the other hand, has emerged as a dictatorship run by a Conservative chancellor. Every matter of 'security' within Britain is done for the 'protection of the citizens'. There is something very wrong with Britain, but no one knows quite what it is.
No one, except V. We never find out V's real name, or in fact anything about him. We never see his face but we do know his philosophy. That the people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of its people. Guy Fawkes knew it, and died for his beliefs. V is merely trying to free the people from the hold of the government.
On November 5th, he takes control of the British Television Netwok and broadcsts his message. One year from now, the people should unite and meet in parliament square and show the government that they want change. They do not want a dictatorship.
V's transmission causes gradual chaos....and exactly one year on, Novemberr 5th, the plan will arrive at its explosive climax....or will it...?
The cast in this film are incredible. Who can argue with John Hurt as the chancellor? We only really see his face and huge screens or TV as he projects his message to the people. Stephen Fry also appears as a BTN presenter who protects the heroine of the film.
Hugo Weaving, is as always, cast perfecly as the elusive yet fascinating V. He posesses outstanding fighting and knife skils and well as a mysterious background. A background we are never fully told about, although we can piece together clues from flashback of V's life and what he tells Evie (Natalie Portman). V is a good character, who hides behind a Guy Fawkes mask for the whole film. His methods are twisted in some instances but in others, his compassion for those who done him harm is touching. He never wavers from his plan, and yet he is gentle in some of his actions. The way he dealt with the experiment doctor of the detention centre I found particulary moving, and I decided that V was a good character despite his actions.
Natalie Portman puts in an excellent performance as Evie, or e-V as V happily notices. It seems her destiny was meant to be on V's side. Her life is drab, a normal officer worker until the day V saves her from government forces. From then on, the viewer can see their ralationship would intertwine throughout the film.
The music in the film, particulary the use made of Tchiakovski's work made me grin for a good long while after the film came to its satisfying ending. We are left hanging onto whether V's plan will go ahead or not, and what the outcome will be. However, the ending was visually amazing and coupled with the musical score, fantastic.
From what I have heard it does differ very slightly from the Graphic Novel. I haven't read it myself but my OH has so if you're looking for a complete copy it may not be 100% loyal to the novel. As far as I know, the only noticable variations are some of the dialoge and parts of the ending.
All in all though, this is one excellent film. I will definately be buying this when it comes out becuase I don't think I can possibly take in everything from watching it first time around. Even if I could, it's worth buying just for the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our possible futures perhaps?, 1 Nov 2007
Dale A. Haines "master_ice" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
In the light of the way our society is going, V for Vendetta is worryingly close to how things are going today.
The government has taken total hold of the populace by 24/7 observational security and total oppression of free thought and action.
Perhaps the new Guy Fawkes will arise - and that is the character V in this film.
Very disturbing in places but wonderfully acted throughout.
Well worth adding to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1984 meets Guy Fawkes!, 17 Nov 2006
Rich Cunarders (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Firstly let me make one thing perfectly clear - the fans of George Orwell's 1984 MUST see this film. If you were in any doubt at all about the poor 1980's reproduction of such a brilliant piece of modern literature, this film will confirm it. I was amazed that I had to skim read 29 previous customer reviews to find any mention of 1984.

The environment within which this film is based is that of a society ruled by a republic (although God Save The Queen/King is still heard throughout the film) and a Chancellor who rules the hearts and minds of the public with an iron fist. The entire flavour of the film is a fantastic re-creation of Orwells bleak vision. The Wachowski Brothers even pay ultimate dues to the original 1984 film by casting John Hurt as the Chancellor!

That aside, this film is entertaining and wonderfully shot. V's dialogue tended to be a little over the top in places and the plot maybe stretched the plausibility senses once or twice but overall I was very satisfied with the end result. I must add that I have never read the comic books, so this review is based purely on the merits of the film.

Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling... but forgotten?, 10 April 2009
M. Saunders "marquon" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a surprisingly good version of the superb graphic novel. I say surprising because the few reviews I read when it was in cinemas greeted it mostly with indifference. A few changes have been made, certainly, updating its timeline and simplifying it, but it puts across the same powerful message as the GN. The climax in particular is wonderful and had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. The fight sequences are all excellently done in the usual modern "slow motion" style, and the special effects also so good you don't see them.

The film is unusual in that it contains as many thought-provoking ideas about freedom and politics (many eloquently expressed by the masked "V") as it does action. It's true that some of the "twists" are perhaps a little too obvious, but it's nonetheless a well-written film that doesn't flag. Hugo Weaving is excellent as "V", in a role he spends masked throughout, delivering his lines in a calm, authoritative, but sinister way that makes you (rightly) question whether he's friend, foe, or something in between. Weaving's "V" is a kind of controlled, very English anarchic force (unlike the wild American anarchic force that Heath Ledger was as The Joker, for example). The standard of acting is very good across the board, with (laudably) mostly British actors reflecting the origins of the story (actors such as Stephen Fry and John Hurt) supporting Weaving and Natalie Portman (who is a little bland, but has some good emotional scenes and does a reasonable British accent).

A lot of effort has been made to ensure that the designs and artwork from the GN are reflected in the film. "V"'s mask, for example, is perfect, and there are angles and looks from "V" that I recognise from the GN. The fact that the film is also set in England and not transposed to an American city as often happens (Constantine, anyone?) is brave, and true to the politics and spirit of the original.

Something I hadn't noticed before is the similarity between the main characters and those of The Phantom of the Opera, "V" being Erik, and Evey being Christine: it's not exactly the same, of course, but for example "V" takes Evey under his wing, protects her from danger more than once, "loves" her in a way, and even nurtures her abilities.

There's also some wonderful dialogue from "V", which I assume must be taken straight from the GN (I must check!). One line of "V"'s was something like, "You can't kill an idea with a gun." A film I will definitely watch again.

3.0 out of 5 stars view from a distance?, 21 Jun 2008
Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt (Bristol, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film, I enjoyed the moral ambiguity at the centre of the character V, and I enjoyed the absurdity that many here found irritating. Cliched imagery works because they are cliches - obvious symbols known and (too readily?) understood - but the film works only at a distance: it probably would not merit re-watching, and, as many reviewers have shown here, it doesn't submit well to scrutiny.

It offers a colourful and entertaining warning to the logic of tyranny, but is neither convincing or plausible about the content: fascism of the 1930s European kind in the UK is a notoriously difficult to visualise, partly because it failed even in the circumstances of the 1930s. Slightly outside the cacotopia genre, more convincing portrayals are the surreal movie BRAZIL, which depicts British authoritarianism as an over blown and (still) incompetent bureaucracy, replete with sporting metaphors and shopping malls, again with terrorism at its heart, So too, in a different way the TV series A Very British Coup. But BRAZIL was a commercial failure on release, and A COUP was hardly sci-fi, being basicallt an attack on the British establishment.

The difficulty with main stream sci-fi is that the politics has to be reduced to very crude sign posts or flashbacks - or as in V footage of riots, people in pubs and families on sofas. GATTICA and, to some extent, EQUILIBRIUM are slightly more successful in depicting the context of a totalitarian system, but V DOES try hard to show the banality of evil, and the sense that, superficially at least, it might look rather similar to what we have now.

Much of the imagery here is clever but not seemingly thought through. I was confused (as many reviewers were) by the reference to Guye Fawkes. Only a catholic and a recussant would have seen the attempt to blow up Parliament in 1605 as the triumph of an `idea' worth emulating - many saw Fawkes as indeed as a foreigner working to subvert the English way of life. Perhaps, like V's treatment of Porter, this is a deliberate attempt by the film to confuse its moral purpose - certainly the final stages of the film are impressive and symbolic indeed - but strikingly ambiguous. I was also bothered by the mass grave scenes, partly because they needed more careful placement. I do not object to the referencing of the holocaust, and to an image that returned to Europe as recently as the 1990s in the Balkans, but I wanted to know the moral shortcut that led scientists to do that in more detail - fear does make us complicit in our own terror, but can it by itself strip us of humanity so quickly? Is it so skin deep?

(PS anyone reading this might help me out with a question: the BBC produced in the late 1970s or 1980s a TV drama about a fascist British state - any clues as to what it was called?)

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

V For Vendetta [Blu-ray] [2006] [Region Free]
V For Vendetta [Blu-ray] [2006] [Region Free] by James McTeigue (Blu-ray - 2008)