5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourites, 1 Aug. 2010
Jonathan Talbot "Jon Talbot" (Wrexham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Is Where The Music Is (Audio CD)
I first heard this as a teenager growing up in Ipswich. Since it wasn't obtainable there l made a special trip to Ray's in London to buy it and it has been with me now for nearly 40 years. For much of that time it was the only jazz album l owned and l struggle to think of a better one l have ever bought. The composition and playing are wonderful- yes it has tunes but what makes this really stand out is the feeling behind the playing. To my mind a lot of jazz suffers from a lot of senseless playing- because people have the technical ability to play well you get a lot of notes but no real feeling of communication. On this album much of the music is joyous but it is also sometimes sad, wistful, energetic, elegaic. It also has some iffy bits (including the dreaded drum solo)but there is so much great music this is something its impossible not to love. I should also mention it has the most beautiful sleeve l ever saw. This is a pretty obscure recording but in a just world this would be celebrated for the work the work of genius it undoubtedly is.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding cd, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Home Is Where The Music Is (Audio CD)
This is a truly refreshing album by a great artist, its a must have! I played it just once and fell in love with it.
The piano work by Larry Willis is mesmerizing, at the moment I am finding it hard to remove it from my C D Player. If you like Jazz don't miss out on this fantastic recording, sound quality is top notch too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my day!, 26 May 2011
One of the best jazz albums ever. Great songs, great playing. Made my day when I stumbled across this again! If you are not familiar with Hugh's early work take it from me this is the one to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album by Masekela, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Home Is Where The Music Is (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album. I think Masekela is a brilliant trumpeter and cornetist, but I hate his singing. And this is one of the few cds where he doesnt sing. Fantastic soulful sax playing by Dudu Pukwana.too. The pianist is great as well. Somerimes he plays the electric piano, which has never appealed to me, but track 9, Maesha, has almost changed my opinion. What a great cd! One of my absolute favourites - and I have hundreds of cds from SA - you can listen to it time and time again, and never get tired of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant trumpet playing, 9 Nov. 2013
M.S. Mirza (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Is Where The Music Is (Audio CD)
I can never tire of listening to Masekela's solos, but he also allows other players to express themselves fully. Great for late night listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Nov. 2014
I LOVE this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Briiliant, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Home Is Where The Music Is (Audio CD)
Bought this on vinyl in 1972 and never saw it again after lending it to someone at University. I wrote to Verve a while back to ask if they would re-release it... and wow, here it is.

Home Is Where The Music Is
Home Is Where The Music Is by Hugh Masekela (Audio CD - 2008)